Ngannou's follow up shots after finishing people ( Stipe not include)

And yet we have fighters who can show restraint.

ComposedSnarlingKakarikis-size_restricted.gif
That was a K1 fight it doesn’t count

My biggest takeaway from that.. lewis had a rematch with ngannou? How did i miss that one

What's wrong with follow up shots?
Are they seen as brutal or unnecessary? Given the chance your opponent would do the same.
It's fighting business in relatively controlled enviroinment, they are far less damaging than kicking in the head, stomping, hitting with the bat or iron rod on the street as seen in Youtube videos.
I think an ordinary person could kick someone in the head and it would do much less damage than an Ngnannou smesh. But these brutal finishes are the appeal. The fans ask for violence and Ngannou delivers. Nothing wrong with continuing until the referee intervenes because not doing so could cost you the fight if your opponent recovers.

I think an ordinary person could kick someone in the head and it would do much less damage than an Ngnannou smesh. But these brutal finishes are the appeal. The fans ask for violence and Ngannou delivers. Nothing wrong with continuing until the referee intervenes because not doing so could cost you the fight if your opponent recovers.

If your opponent is slumped down like a dead man, chances are they aren't recovering anytime soon. I'm not saying it's never justified, but sometimes it's really obvious a man is completely out. Especially when you just connected with a brutal punch and have the power of Ngannou.

The masvidal episode with askren was a clear evidence that askren was out and that masvidal was being nasty because he wanted to hurt askren. But the rules say it is legal until the ref calls it.

In most other cases only the fighter himself will know in his heart why he is following up with more shots.

Ngannou has been sending people to hell with passion.

I don't see ill intention there. And yes, these shots make me cringe, but it's part of the sport. Of course there are fighters who are more controlled, and kudos to them.

Well Ngannou vs. Lewis is basically a fight between the kings of the follow up shots lol

If your opponent is slumped down like a dead man, chances are they aren't recovering anytime soon. I'm not saying it's never justified, but sometimes it's really obvious a man is completely out. Especially when you just connected with a brutal punch and have the power of Ngannou.
Ya I can't disagree with that. Maybe sometimes fighters do it just to add some violence to their victory. I mean it probably makes fans more interested in watching when the fighter is a brutal finisher so it's in the fighters interest to make their finishes as violent as possible. Fighters who don't throw unnecessary follow up shots do get commended for their sportsmanship but I don't think fighters who do should get too much criticism.

Ya I can't disagree with that. Maybe sometimes fighters do it just to add some violence to their victory. I mean it probably makes fans more interested in watching when the fighter is a brutal finisher so it's in the fighters interest to make their finishes as violent as possible. Fighters who don't throw unnecessary follow up shots do get commended for their sportsmanship but I don't think fighters who do should get too much criticism.

I think it might very well be that Ngannou is still in the moment, but I also think he could change that and create the awareness to judge it in the moment and not go for shots that aren't necessary, if he makes a conscious effort to do that. He is already fighting more controlled than before, so if he can have a little more control over his emotions and mental processes, he might become the new Hunt of the walk of KTFO's.

For me, I see it as a severe sign of a lack of confidence. Guys who usually land shots, after the fact, are guys who are "just happy to be there" because fear/doubt kept them from believing they would actually be there. If you were confident in yourself and "expected" the result, restraint would be much be easier to exercise.

I wouldn't normally guess that Ngannou was afraid or full of self doubt but he did not help his case with the Lewis fight.

Spot on ,Francis is very very anxious guy and his biggest fear is to be knock out, said his Coach

Absolutely disgusting that Francis doesn’t hesitate to follow up shots knowing well and truly his opponents are laying there unresponsive.

he should get penalised for this shit.

It's more common for longtime strikers to notice when it's over. Like Lyoto or Hunt. They know when it lands clean, that it's already over. Celebrate, bow or walk off. They are accustomed to being in there, so have control over own emotions and are aware of what's going on.

Francis started MMA much later in life and has less experience than those two.

Another part is training to finish. Drills are simulated to drop the opponent and finish with GnP. So it becomes automatic. I can see that in Ngannou. The 1 hammerfist bomb comes automatically, without thinking. Then he steps away and goes towards his corner to celebrate.

I don't see malice in it, but training repetition without emotion. Derrick Lewis is different. He never stops beating the corpse. Kill, kill, kill mode. Said himself "I can't turn it off, ref is there to stop it"

How many follow up shots did Stipe land to DC and Overeem? Stop bitching because your guy got his just due in his last fight

You’re talking about people that get hit in the head for a living. What do you expect? Some of them aren’t playing with a full deck.

I can’t stand those extra shots, but Sherbro’s have to realize there’s adrenaline involved in these fights too. They are in a fight, in a killers state of mind and not that of a casual observer. Not everyone’s mindset is like Mark Hunt’s.

It’s difficult to vouch for whether it’s truly intentional at times. You could also make an argument that a guy like Ngannou is someone from a very poor country and they never want to go back to that level of squalor or suffering. He may very well have an “on” switch that is hard to turn off unless he gets a signal when to.

"Until the ref signals you to stop/intervenes".

Back