Ngannou vs. Rozenstruik should (will) be for interim title soon

j18lee

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
A title should be defended at least once every 6 months, if not 4. I mean, that's 3 times a year, that's nothing, but fine, 2 times is sadly acceptable these days because fighters are rich and they don't need to work much.

Nowadays with most champs fighting the once a year and champs going for two titles, waiting for money fights, I think there should always be an interim champ in every division. The interim champ would basically the undisputed No. 1 contender and when the champ is available, they would fight.

Look at what Henry Cejudo did to both the FlyW and BW divisions. Khabib fought once in 2019, who knows when he'll fight again. Whittaker defended once a year, who even remembers? LHW is one of the few division that doesn't need an interim champ, except of course, Jones might get popped or get into legal troubles.

Anyhow, with a champion who fights once a year and an interim champ (who hardcores can call the No. 1 contender if it makes them feel better), you would get like 3 to 4 title defenses a year and you'd have much more excitement and clarity in the divisions. Not to mention the fighters would be happier getting paid to fight for a title instead of sitting around waiting and demanding a title shot when they get into the No. 1 contender discussion.

With Stipe out indefinitely, it's a no brainer to make Ngannou vs. Rozenstruik for the interim title. Ngannou knocking people out in one round probably means he can fight 3 times in 2020, before Stipe even returns.

Seems a 1 year mark is reasonable for a interim.

It's enough with the meaningless belts.

We already have meaningless rankings.

It should be for #1 contender. Nothing more

lol fuckin joke

stipe is going to continue his dominant reign over the division, dont worry. blame the wait on DC for being a dirty fighter and be quiet

I don’t even think the ufc cares about champs not fighting often. They prefer it when a guy holds the belt for longer, it’s better for their respective brands

I don't like interim belts , but I also don't like champs sitting out for a year or so........

If a champ doesn't fight in 9 months or so , just strip his ass and set up a title fight between the next 2 guys for his belt. Then the previous champ can challenge to get it back immediately upon returning to fighting ....

I don’t even think the ufc cares about champs not fighting often. They prefer it when a guy holds the belt for longer, it’s better for their respective brands
Not when they got cards that need to be filled.

I would like to see them make a definitive time frame for a defense. If it is 1 year or 9 months but it needs to have specific parameters. I would also like to see a return to Official Number 1 Contender fights. No more "If fighter X wins he gets a shot but if Fighter B wins keep waiting". Conor getting a title fight for a win over Cowboy makes no sense. Conor fighting Gathje for the next shot does make sense. The best fighting the best is what built the UFC but now the best fight the best and Conor fights the rest type scenario is BS and not worth following.

That was my point about #1 contender fights should be for interim titles. The problem as we have seen with the No. 1 contender fights is that it is extremely easy for Dana/UFC to ignore it and say, oops, I changed my mind, we'll skip over the No. 1 contender.

With an interim champ, it is much harder (of course not impossible) to skip over than a No. 1 contender.

So I'm basically saying let's have an official No. 1 contender in every division and it'll be called the interim champ unless the champ actually fights 2 to 3 times a year (which is like almost never these days).

I don't think it will be, Dana was full Ngannou express mode before he lost to Stipe, Now it seems like he doesn't want Francis near a belt again.

That was my point about #1 contender fights should be for interim titles. The problem as we have seen with the No. 1 contender fights is that it is extremely easy for Dana/UFC to ignore it and say, oops, I changed my mind, we'll skip over the No. 1 contender.

With an interim champ, it is much harder (of course not impossible) to skip over than a No. 1 contender.

So I'm basically saying let's have an official No. 1 contender in every division and it'll be called the interim champ unless the champ actually fights 2 to 3 times a year (which is like almost never these days).
There is absolutely no need for 2 belts per weight class.

As I stated the rankings are worthless. And that there is the problem that needs to be addressed.

Interim champions are not the answer.

I have said before Gold, Silver and Bronze belts for every division

$$$

TS very smart I like this I really like this

Dana make it happen stipe dc clogging division ngannou real champ

Back