Ngannou said he was nothing special for where he comes from. What if that's true?

No shit, that's because they're starving. What about in pockets of Africa where they're not starving though?

In developed countries, height is distributed on a bell curve. In developing countries, height actually gets fatter on the tails in a non-normally distributed way because that's where the mean would be if they weren't starving. In most places with normal genetics, that fattening is the mean: it happens around 5'9 and skinny fat. What if in these places it happens around 6'4" jacked and explosive? That happened in the Netherlands, and now they're on average of 6'1". There are possibly villages in Africa who aren't starving where every guy is like Ngannou.

In Japan, non-starving people are 5'7 and skinny fat. In America, they're 5'9 and fat. In the Netherlands, they're 6'1" and clumsy and slow. What if in Africa, where non-starvation doesn't generally exist, they're 6'4" and like Ngannou. And what if there are pockets of Africa full of people who aren't starving.

This is probably the most retarded post I've seen in a long time, good job on that one.

that dude is pretty obviously roiding. Should not be permitted. They should have PED tests like other athletes.
lol I'm pretty sure they do get PED tested, at least in the top divisions, though i've heard speculation that it's easy to cheat..

He's retired now, though I reckon he was still on some shit in his last season in Japan.

EaQmg5yVcAEIL0r.jpg

Genetic freak

Africa on the whole though has produced lot's of amazing talent though, especially if you look at the French players with African decent.. most exciting young footballer in the world Mbappe is of Cameroonian decent.

A lot of the Bayern squad are pretty jacked now a days
fo6ifc690oj51.jpg
All I see is dudes with normal bodies. Nothing special about that.<{vega}>

All I see is dudes in their normal bode. Anyone can do better in a year.<{vega}>
You might be right, I just think it's weird that they all play for the same team... And in my 25 years of watching the sport have never seen such a transformation across so many players like that.

They are also arguably the best team in the world so there's also that.

This is probably the most retarded post I've seen in a long time, good job on that one.

Same here

I can't stop laughing at these

"What if in these places it happens around 6'4" jacked and explosive?"
"What if in Africa, where non-starvation doesn't generally exist, they're 6'4" and like Ngannou."

To us, he's basically like a physical god. But he said that where he comes from in Africa, every guy is built like him. That he's just an average guy. What if he wasn't lying.

What if where he comes from, there really are thousands or millions of guys built like him with the same speed, strength, and explosiveness. But they're just languishing away in the middle of nowhere in extreme poverty and no one's ever heard of them.

What could they potentially bring to the world of sports? Why hasn't a college football scout or an NFL scout gone out there, gone to a construction site, found a dozen Ngannou's, brought them over on a college scholarship, trained them for 4 years, and won championships?

Because it’s not true...

Then what does that say about this dude lol.
CJFjvZuWIAA0ZQo.jpg:large

There is plenty of boxers from africa, soccer players etc. They have good athletes, but Ngannou was being humble. He is a freak among men in africa and everywhere he goes. If there where plenty of Ngannous in cameroon it would be a waist of billions of dollars not to scout for them. so nah. The average men in cameroon is 5ft7 (1.7m). Ngannou is 6ft4 (1.94m). So according to this calculator in height alone you will only find 1 out of 900+ people in cameroon to be as tall or taller than Ngannou. Let that sink in.
https://tall.life/height-percentile-calculator-age-country/

At one point in time I had 2 colleagues from Cameroon. One was huge (super strong legs from soccer and strong arms from ... nothing). The other guy, with a PhD in physics, had very clear traps. He didn’t do any upper body workout. So yes, I can believe Ngannou. The big guy knew the famous cameronese basketball player I think. He was very skinny when back in Cameroon if I recall correctly

I believe it's true, have watched some of their local wrestling styles. They got the genes. Good market to get MMA talent.

But there are intangibles, like willingness to take punishment, mindset to hurt another person in front of millions of people, durability, killer instinct. Things like that, that aren't a given, yet separate. So I think he's selling himself short.

To us, he's basically like a physical god. But he said that where he comes from in Africa, every guy is built like him. That he's just an average guy. What if he wasn't lying.

What if where he comes from, there really are thousands or millions of guys built like him with the same speed, strength, and explosiveness. But they're just languishing away in the middle of nowhere in extreme poverty and no one's ever heard of them.

What could they potentially bring to the world of sports? Why hasn't a college football scout or an NFL scout gone out there, gone to a construction site, found a dozen Ngannou's, brought them over on a college scholarship, trained them for 4 years, and won championships?

There are alot of strong guys in Africa because they live a different lifestyle than us. That said most of them do not look like Ngannou, I've met quite a few and while on average they are stronger than a typical American, none have looked like Ngannou.

Physical gifts only get you started on your journey.

There is plenty of boxers from africa, soccer players etc. They have good athletes, but Ngannou was being humble. He is a freak among men in africa and everywhere he goes. If there where plenty of Ngannous in cameroon it would be a waist of billions of dollars not to scout for them. so nah. The average men in cameroon is 5ft7 (1.7m). Ngannou is 6ft4 (1.94m). So according to this calculator in height alone you will only find 1 out of 900+ people in cameroon to be as tall or taller than Ngannou. Let that sink in.
https://tall.life/height-percentile-calculator-age-country/
That calculator just has the mean (5'7") and assumes a normal distribution around 5'7". A normal distribution is a mirror image on both sides.

standard-normal-distribution-768x475.png

In a place where everyone is fed, you get a normal distribution because all conditions are, as a normal distribution assumes, "all else equal". In places where people aren't all fed, thing aren't "all else equal". You have conditions creating biases on either side. I would posit that in Africa you get a log-normal distribution.

800px-PDF-log_normal_distributions.svg.png

It's like the average person the European middle ages was like 5'5". But there was a fat end on the right side tail created by fully fed noblemen averaging 5'8-6'1 depending on the part of Europe. It wasn't normally distributed around 5'5. Because even though the average was 5'5, the actual genetic potential of a fully fed population was around 5'8 (Italy) -6'1 (Scandinavia). So you actually had a lot more great athletes on the battlefield in medieval Europe than a 5'5" normally distributed average would suggest, because things weren't normally distributed.

I posit that that in Africa you have the same situation with guys like Ngannou being the genetic average potential in starving countries.

One side is fatter at the extremes than the other side because "all else being equal" the mean wouldn't actually be 5'7". It might be 6'2". You can see guys that look like Ngannou living in absolute poverty everywhere in Africa. You don't see them at all in Asia with billions of people fully fed. And that just wouldn't be possible on a normal distribution around 5'7".

Last edited:
I would say a significant factor at HW tends to be do you have other sports that draw in big men? because the actual number of guys that size is going to be a bit more limited so if other sports are picking them off(NFL, Rugby, NBA) its not great for MMA or the MA's that transition into MMA.

Brazil and Eastern Europe traditionally being so strong at HW is I suspect partly because you don't really have that draw for big men in soccer, they can be involved of course but the sport doesnt select for it. Western African might turn out to be the same I spose although MA culture isnt generally that strong there.

No shit, that's because they're starving. What about in pockets of Africa where they're not starving though?

In developed countries, height is distributed on a bell curve. In developing countries, height actually gets fatter on the tails in a non-normally distributed way because that's where the mean would be if they weren't starving. In most places with normal genetics, that fattening is the mean: it happens around 5'9 and skinny fat. What if in these places it happens around 6'4" jacked and explosive? That happened in the Netherlands, and now they're on average of 6'1". There are possibly villages in Africa who aren't starving where every guy is like Ngannou.

In Japan, non-starving people are 5'7 and skinny fat. In America, they're 5'9 and fat. In the Netherlands, they're 6'1" and clumsy and slow. What if in Africa, where non-starvation doesn't generally exist, they're 6'4" and like Ngannou. And what if there are pockets of Africa full of people who aren't starving.
One of my favorite games is the one you are playing. Ask a question, then argue with every answer you don't like. So, you weren't really asking a question were you?

You might be right, I just think it's weird that they all play for the same team... And in my 25 years of watching the sport have never seen such a transformation across so many players like that.

They are also arguably the best team in the world so there's also that.

It's also the fact that these guys have to put that much mass on while also maintaining insane levels of cardio and burning calories that the sport demands. It's not like they can just bulk and cut like normal bodybuilders.

Back