Ngannou, best case of being in the wrong era

If this was any other era of MMA Francis would have been a household name and seen as an unstoppable champion, now the newer guys entering HW are much more technical and athletic than their HW predecessors. Now I’m almost certain Francis doesn’t even successfully defend his title once.

If this was any other era of MMA Francis would have been a household name and seen as an unstoppable champion, now the newer guys entering HW are much more technical and athletic than their HW predecessors. Now I’m almost certain Francis doesn’t even successfully defend his title once.

Apart from one guy, Gane. Who do you think is more technical and athletic than their predecessors?
Baring in mind Derek Lewis just fought for a title?

As impressive as gane has looked - very impressive - people are crowning him a bit too early.

I cant easily dismiss the idea that frank will find a way to land a bomb. Gane is a technical freak at hw but frank is also something we haven't seen before. In my opinion it still remains to be seen which will win out - freakish athleticism and technique or freakish raw power.

Cant wait to find out

As impressive as gane has looked - very impressive - people are crowning him a bit too early.

I cant easily dismiss the idea that frank will find a way to land a bomb. Gane is a technical freak at hw but frank is also something we haven't seen before. In my opinion it still remains to be seen which will win out - freakish athleticism and technique or freakish raw power.

Cant wait to find out

Ngannou is insanely athletic too

"the newer guys entering HW"

who else besides Ciryl Gane is on par with Ngannou athleticism wise?

who else besides Tom Aspinall could potentially grow enough to defeat Ngannou?

I'm not saying the new guys aren't good. I like Romonov, Pavlovich, Swolkov and such. They're really good but good enough to realistically beat Ngannou? Let's say Ngannou gets past Gane. Who else do you see having a more than 50/50 chance of beating him?
Chris Daukaus

UFC HW is horrific and nowhere near as good as 15 years ago, very old flat footed guys

Ngannou just loads up and loads up and loads up with big swings, anyone with an ounce of skill and talent should be able to use him as a punching bag, the division is dreadful

lol dana had that plan with ngannou first remember ? ngannou must've done something that pissed the ufc really really bad

Cant wait to find out

Really so far everyone Gane has faced as not really put much pressure on him, he's been able to work them with jabs and lowkicks from a safe range whilst using decent movement.

I would say we still havent really seent he ultimate test of alot of kickboxers turned MMA fighters, can he deal with real pressure without the big gloves for defence?

Last edited:
Really so far everyone Gane has faced as not really put much pressure on him, he'd been able to work them with jabs and lowkicks from a safe range whilst using decent movement.

I would say we still havent really seent he ultimate test of alot of kickboxers turned MMA fighters, can he deal with real pressure without the big gloves for defence?
You forgot the Volkov fight. He is probably the best pressure fighter at the moment (with Blaydes) and the way Gane forced him to walk back is no small feat. Who ever did that to Volkov?
Now Ngannou is a different animal, more reach than Volkov and you can't realistically walk through his punches.

You forgot the Volkov fight. He is probably the best pressure fighter at the moment (with Blaydes) and the way Gane forced him to walk back is no small feat. Who ever did that to Volkov?
Now Ngannou is a different animal, more reach than Volkov and you can't realistically walk through his punches.

Really though that wasnt serious pressure was it? Volkov tends to edge forward not to really force aggressive exchanges and isnt IMHO actually very good boxer at all, he basically just out chinned Reem walking right into his straught counter about half a dozen times but being able to take it.

I see post after post like no one other than Gane could challenge Ngannou, who in the top 15 could even challenge Ngannou, are people forgetting Derrick Lewis and Stipe already beat him and could do so again.

I don't know i would not count ngannou out that easy. I mean the guy is one the biggest HW with crazy reach, he's explosive like a nuclear missile, lightning fast, hits like a truck, and his game has improved a lot.
I don't think gane is as safe as some people think.

He's no spring chicken. How much longer will he be "explosive and lightning fast?" Time will tell but not much longer historically.

Gane being a slight favourite sounds about right.

I favor gane to win against ngannou but make no mistake, Francis can absolutely put ciryl light out.

I see Gane as less prone to being upset than Francis, if it turns out he has the edge over Ngannou I could see him being champ for a long time given the state of the division.

With Francis I do think he's more of a risk taker, whilst I'd favour him over anyone but Gane I think theres more of a chance he either runs into a counter or can't KO them early and then gasses.

He's no spring chicken. How much longer will he be "explosive and lightning fast?" Time will tell but not much longer historically.

Gane being a slight favourite sounds about right.

Absolutly but Ngannou also has every chances of putting him to sleep and some tools to make it a reality.

UFC HW is horrific and nowhere near as good as 15 years ago, very old flat footed guys

Ngannou just loads up and loads up and loads up with big swings, anyone with an ounce of skill and talent should be able to use him as a punching bag, the division is dreadful
<WellThere>
Prime Fedor would struggle to fit top 10 in todays HW division. Stop living In the past, the sport has moved on. Oh and Ngannou would KO all of your Pride heroes In 30 seconds.
jonah-jameson-laugh.gif

<Waaah>

A fair statement on your part when considering Gane.

Ngannou got them bombs though.

Just curious if you have other examples of more technical HWs, besides Gane?
Aspinall looking pretty good as well, and yeah he just got knocked out but if stipe is still the same he's also a hard fight in a eventual rematch

He just KOd the UFCs most successful Heavyweight in history.
Calm down.

I see post after post like no one other than Gane could challenge Ngannou, who in the top 15 could even challenge Ngannou, are people forgetting Derrick Lewis and Stipe already beat him and could do so again.
I would comfortably bet on Ngannou as -300 favourite against both Stipe and Lewis.
Idiotic to pretend he is the same guy who lost to Stipe and Lewis in 2018.

Back