Social NFL boycott over?

D 1 Wrestler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Trump bros told me they would never watch again... What gives sherfront?

The 2021 debut of Thursday Night Football, a matchup between the New York Giants and Washington Football Team, likely delivered even better ratings than NFL Network hoped for in Week 2.

According to SportsMediaWatch, the Thursday Night Football opener averaged an estimated 7.33 million viewers on the NFL’s exclusive TV network. It was the largest season-opening audience for TNF since 2017, when 8.08 million people watched the Houston Texans and Cincinnati Bengals.

The Las Vegas Raiders’ stunning and drama-filled win over the Baltimore Ravens represented the most-watched Week 1 Monday Night Football Game since all the way back in 2013. In total, 15.29 million viewers tuned in.

Meanwhile, 800,000 watched the “ManningCast” on ESPN2 with brothers Eli and Peyton.

Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand reported that the Dallas-Tampa Bay 15.9 overnight rating was up 16% from 2020’s opener between the Houston Texans and Kansas City Chiefs. It was also a five-year high in overnights.

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-numbers/

Last edited:
People are simple and have been conditioned that they need sports in their lives to function. It was bound to happen.

People are simple and have been conditioned that they need sports in their lives to function. It was bound to happen.
You mean right wingers are simple? Because nobody on the left boycotted. Redskins and giants are two bad teams too, that rating really proves the casuals are back in force

You mean right wingers are simple? Because nobody on the left boycotted. Redskins and giants are two bad teams too, that rating really proves the casuals are back in force
There were plenty of classic leftists and centrist who were on the boycott train as well but in the end people will still buy Nike, drink Starbucks, watch the NFL, NBA, and MLB. They can say what they want but the corporations know the people will be back.

Conditioned over thousands of years, maybe.
I don't know if it was over thousands of years but over the last century or less for sure. People are trained now that they need these things in their lives.

Movies aren’t shit right now, and cnn and company have stopped forcing comically fake outrage on our country to rig an election.. So it’s whatever. I watched 15 minutes or so.

NFL wasn't nearly as cringe as the NBA with all the bullshit over the last couple years.
Also, the the NFL handled whole Kaepernick thing pretty well. They managed to somewhat support the players without pissing off their fan base to the point that they would never come back.

They lost some fans for sure, but they also probably gained some. Only one of my friends has held to his world that he would never watch again, and he's one of those hyper-political types that has american flags on everything he owns.

Wait... What? Trump bros were boycotting the NFL? Did they join the blm boycotting of the NFL? Or come up with their own reasons?
I haven't heard of this.

When people say they are going to boycott something, I just set my timer because I know most will eventually be back to support whatever they were boycotting.

I initially supported Colin Kap's right to protest but as a few years went on I never saw Kap do any interviews to defend his anthem stance or make it clear he wanted to play in the NFL. Then I see him in Nike commercials being touted as a 'hero' and that's when I knew he was just a corporate shill like so many other so called activists.

The NFL did indeed do a good job at managing the whole thing because they had to placate their players and their fan base. No players, no games. No fans, no money. They were in a no win situation and came out of it pretty well it seems

The Kaep situation was a pr nightmare for the NFL. They blacklisted a guy who's stats say he's better than a lot of guys with qb jobs in the league to appease their racist fan base. Not a good look.

Gabbert was willing to play for less than $1 million, Kaep wanted elite starter money, even though he was no better for the 49ers than Gabbert his last year in the league.

Boycotting was never an option for people who aren't immature overly emotional children . It was very easy to avoid the blm and anthem nonsense. Simply ... turn the game on after the anthem.

NFL wasn't nearly as cringe as the NBA with all the bullshit over the last couple years.
Also, the the NFL handled whole Kaepernick thing pretty well. They managed to somewhat support the players without pissing off their fan base to the point that they would never come back.

I think the NFL realized this was a situation they could not win. A lot of people (especially the media) supported the players protesting and kneeling while a large group of fans did not and would not support kneeling during the anthem. It was crazy how no one would budge on the issue so the NFL had to compromise without losing player support and fans.

We both know that ain't why he was frozen out of the league.
I think the money was a bigger issue than it gets credit for being.

Last edited:
People have a finite amount of emotional energy to expend on dumbass culture war fights and a new one pops up practically every week so there isn’t always a lot of staying power. If you genuinely enjoy watching football but you’re bitchmade about some dudes kneeling during the anthem then you can just go take a piss or smoke a joint while for a few minutes. Chuds can devote their time to shrieking about transgender bathrooms or something that doesn’t require them to give up things they enjoy.

The other thing is that Trump signal boosted the fuck out of the NFL thing on Twitter and now that isn’t a factor.

Bottom line is people wanna watch football.

Back