Next step after LISS?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by DrBdan, May 27, 2014.

1. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Over the last 6 weeks I've increased my conditioning work in preparation for the Spartan Sprint in early June. It's a shorter version of the Spartan Race (a mud run/obstacle course like Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash etc) so it's only 5k plus 13 obstacles (about half of the full race). I've been doing LISS twice/week with a few extra sessions of HIIT thrown in a few times.

Now that I'm about 2 weeks out from the race I thought it might be beneficial to move toward some more intense conditioning. My thinking is that while LISS is good it's at a comfortable pace and when I do the race I'll be above the LISS heart rate range. Would it make sense to do some threshold or HISS training for the next two weeks since that will be more similar to the actual race conditions?

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

You're two weeks out, and the last week should be mild taper. It doesn't make sense to change your conditioning for only one week. Just keep doing what you're doing - although you could push things a bit harder in the second to last week.

3. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Thanks Tosa, that makes sense. I was thinking of taking it easy next Thursday/Friday. This whole thing has been kinda last minute.

There is another race in late August so I'd have 10 or 11 weeks to train for it. Since I have more time would it make sense to increase the intensity 3-4 weeks out?

4. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

How long is the race?

Is it off-road?

And do you know what the incline/decline is like?

5. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

It's about 5k but broken up by 15 obstacles. My impression is that it's a short run to start (maybe 1 km) and then shorter distances between the obstacles. It is at a ski resort so it's off-road and will be somewhat hilly.

In all reality my training probably doesn't matter that much since it's a short race. Plus I've been told that later in the day the obstacles can get backed up so you end up waiting around to do them so you have plenty of time to rest. This is probably more relevant to my next race (assuming I do one) when I will have more time to train and will try to get into an earlier heat.

6. miaou

You should be really competitive, shove out of the way people who crowd in front of you, and just arrive at each obstacle first.

Fuck waiting around backed up obstacles. Show these bitches who's boss.

7. miaou

Now go do some HIIT and some hill sprints.

8. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

I'm pretty sure that if I yell YOLO! I'm allowed to do whatever I want so yeah fuck waiting, #YOLO

9. MilkManUK

MilkManUK Brown Belt

Just please don't actually say the hashtag part of it.

I was on the train the other day and overheard a conversation between some people a little younger than me, their conversation resembled a twitter feed as they were saying stuff like "OMG! hashtag funny!"

I wanted to throw myself off the train.

10. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

I only actually say "hashtag" when I'm around my closest friends who realize I'm saying it to intentionally sound stupid. At the race I would probably yell "YOLO MOTHERFUCKERS" before falling off the rings/monkey bars and making an ass of myself.

11. MilkManUK

MilkManUK Brown Belt

I don't think this group were doing it to intentionally sound stupid (although they were certainly acheiving that result). Someone yelling "YOLO MOTHERFUCKERS" would bring the lulz from me fo sho though. #I don'treallytalklikethatinreallife

12. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Yeah I was helping a friend of mine with some kitchen renos last month and his 14 year old daughter was all "hashtag this, hashtag that". I didn't realize that kids these days actually said "hashtag". #getoffmylawn

13. MilkManUK

MilkManUK Brown Belt

What is the world coming to...We have a 21 year old girl at work who talks like that. In addition to annoying the hell out of me, it makes me feel old.

14. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

I got a race at Sunday and will do an interval weds or Thursday and that's it.

15. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I dont really taper much for shorter stuff. I used to over taper and that really messed me up.