Next for JDS?

Kongo, Hunt if he beats Struve, the loser of Reem/BF, or Barnett.

Probably Kongo though. All the other matchups except maybe BF could be really tough for Santos.

Edit: Rothwell if he beats Gonzaga would work too.

Well that's the point. Give Jds a striker that he should KO and get back on track against. After that he can get a higher ranked, tougher fighter.

The guy was just the champion and on a 9 fight streak where he tore through the heavyweight division. He doesn't need gimmie fights, he needs legit opponents.

Struve, Kongo...those fights serve no purpose. Barnett or Cormier would be a good matchup.

If Hunt beats Struve I'd say he deserves it, 4 fight win streak with the last 3 being over top 20 HW's.

Whether it happens or not does I'd guess depend on the UFC's plans, I think its clear Hunt is a bad matchup for JDS.

They usually don't like giving someone coming off of a loss a fight against someone coming off of a victory but I would love to see that fight. I'm a huge fan of both JDS and Hunt so it would make me a little sad but it would be fireworks.

I'd be happy with Hunt or Kongo.

The guy was just the champion and on a 9 fight streak where he tore through the heavyweight division. He doesn't need gimmie fights, he needs legit opponents.

Struve, Kongo...those fights serve no purpose. Barnett or Cormier would be a good matchup.

He didnt tear through the division. He lost in his second title defense. Jds shouldn't get a rematch after one fight. I want to see reem and werdum getting shots at Cain first. Jds can fight Kongo in brazil and then face Barnett in an eliminator.

He didnt tear through the division. He lost in his second title defense. Jds shouldn't get a rematch after one fight.

Cain lost in his first title defence, and got a rematch after one fight. Against a guy coming off a devastating KO loss in another org, no less.

Not saying I disagree with you, necessarily, but in the interest of fairness I'm laying out the facts.

(Cain also had a shorter and much easier road to the title than Junior in the first place.)

I'd like to see Cormier (provided he beats Mir in his debut) the problem will be if Cormier wins though, since he won't fight Cain.

daniel cormier at ufc on fox 6, wont happen but id like it.

To me there's a huge gap btwn the top 5 HWS (Cain, JDS, Reem, Werdum, Cormier) and the rest.

Cain lost in his first title defence, and got a rematch after one fight. Against a guy coming off a devastating KO loss in another org, no less.

Not saying I disagree with you, necessarily, but in the interest of fairness I'm laying out the facts.

(Cain also had a shorter and much easier road to the title than Junior in the first place.)

All of that is correct but there are different circumstances today. I disagreed with Cain getting a rematch so quickly and would like it more if the 3rd fight was stretched out. Let Cain defend a few times and let Jds get some stream under him so the trilogy can end on a high note.

He didnt tear through the division. He lost in his second title defense. Jds shouldn't get a rematch after one fight. I want to see reem and werdum getting shots at Cain first. Jds can fight Kongo in brazil and then face Barnett in an eliminator.

Werdum, Cro Cop, Struve, Nelson, Carwin, Cain, Mir = tearing through the division. All those guys were a higher quality of opponent than Kongo. A fight with Kongo accomplishes nothing. He's not in the top 10, is a bad stylistic matchup and recently got knocked out by Hunt. Whether JDS gets a rematch after one fight or not, he still deserves quality opposition.

i feel bad for whoever he fights next

Werdum, Cro Cop, Struve, Nelson, Carwin, Cain, Mir = tearing through the division. All those guys were a higher quality of opponent than Kongo. A fight with Kongo accomplishes nothing. He's not in the top 10, is a bad stylistic matchup and recently got knocked out by Hunt. Whether JDS gets a rematch after one fight or not, he still deserves quality opposition.

Kongo's solid opposition for a guy coming off a loss. He's not half so inferior to Nelson, Struve, or even Werdum as you're making out, and he had Cain in more trouble than anyone ever has besides JDS himself:

cain_kongo2.gif
cain_kongo1.gif
10001340.gif

Barnett would be a good fight, rematch with Roy would be alright to.

Gsp has torn through the division, jones is in the process. 9 fight win streak is incredible and he beat some quality opponents impressively but you have to have at least 3 title defenses to even begin having that honor.

There really isn't a dearth of high ranked fighters Jds can face. Honestly the high ranked guys already have fights or he's already fought. Carwin, werdum, Nelson, Mir, bf, Struve, hunt, dc all have fights or have already faces him. Kongo is a striker who could make things interesting for a bit. After that things will be settled in the division and a higher ranked fighter will be available.

Kongo's solid opposition for a guy coming off a loss. He's not half so inferior to Nelson, Struve, or even Werdum as you're making out, and he had Cain in more trouble than anyone ever has besides JDS himself:

cain_kongo2.gif
cain_kongo1.gif
10001340.gif

Struve, Nelson and Werdum are all higher in the division than Kongo is. So yeah, he is inferior. Rocking Cain isn't as big a deal as you're making it out to be, when you consider Kongo was the first striker he'd ever faced and JDS was the second.

Back