Next for Gomi.

TheWalrusNo9

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Gomi is undeniably in the top 2 All Time in the LW division with BJ Penn. I give BJ the edge because of their head to head fight, but Gomi had a better run and overall resume at LW. Anyways back on topic....

It is my opinion that Gomi should face a top 10 fighter next. As stated before he has a ridiculous resume, but he is also on a 4 fight win streak and is going to retire very soon. He deserves to be fast tracked on his quest for another title. Whether or not he could actually beat a top 10 LW at this stage of his career isn't important. He has given so much to this sport and pretty much built the LW division along with Penn.

He is going to fight on the UFN: Japan card in Sept. and here are some ideas for an opponent for him....

TJ Grant - Really highly ranked LW, but has been inactive for over a year and the LW division has moved on without him. Gomi vs TJ would be an exciting fight no matter what and could serve as a much needed "tune up" for TJ or spring board Gomi into to upper echelon of the LW division.

Khabib - Not a great stylistic match up for Gomi, but he is a very highly ranked LW and if Gomi truly wants to win the title he'll have to go through him eventually. Also, this fight really has the potential to be a war if Khabib chooses to stand with Gomi.

Gray Maynard - This would be an extremely close fight and is a great stylistic match up for Gomi. Maynards weak chin and poor submission game could spell trouble for him, but his elite wrestling and KO power could be a serious issue for Gomi.

Rafael Dos Anjos - If he beats Jason High on June 6th then he would be another great fight for Gomi.

Myles Jury/Abel Trujillo - Whoever wins between these two will be fringe top 10 and would make for an excellent fight against Gomi.

Overall I think Gomi is the underdog in all of these fights aside from maybe Maynard. That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be given a legitimate opportunity to earn a title shot with wins in his next two fights.

He's not going on a title run so chances are he'll get somebody who would make for a really entertaining fight as a co-main/upper main card fight on a Fight Pass card in Japan.

I'm going to go with Joe Lauzon vs Gomi.

He's not going on a title run so chances are he'll get somebody who would make for a really entertaining fight as a co-main/upper main card fight on a Fight Pass card in Japan.

I'm going to go with Joe Lauzon vs Gomi.

If he gets past J-Lau you have to give him a top LW though! That fight would be crazy as hell btw!

[YT]YC9m8a1mhNM[/YT]

Gomi and Edwards are old vets who were both top 5 LWs in their primes and they should fight. UFC should sign Hellboy so Gomi can avenge that "loss".

Maybe if Edwards or Hellboy were on 4 fight winning streaks, so TRUCK NO!

Maybe if Edwards or Hellboy were on 4 fight winning streaks, so TRUCK NO!

Gomi's not gonna be champ or a contender anymore. I'd rather have him fight and beat guys who are on his level than get murdered against top fighters.

Gomi/Maynard would be a good one but that's almost not fair to Maynard. Everyone is questioning his chin after three KO's and then you give him a slugger with freak power in both hands.

Gomi/Abel is good.

Winner of Jury/Trujillo, winner of Pearson/Sanchez, winner of RDA/Head

Gomi/Maynard would be a good one but that's almost not fair to Maynard. Everyone is questioning his chin after three KO's and then you give him a slugger with freak power.

Gomi/Abel is good.

I'd like Gomi vs Maynard. Gomi gets a KO win against a big "new breed" name.

They should give him someone in the mid-range like Daron Cruickshank or Ramsey Nimej, so he can keep building a winning record.

He should be released since he's not UFC level. All of his UFC wins are over other guys who are not UFC level.

Gomi should fight Ceronne.

It rhymes which is also a plus.

He should be released since he's not UFC level. All of his UFC wins are over other guys who are not UFC level.

And what determines if a guy is UFC level if not being in the UFC? Do you get to be the expert analyst here?

And what determines if a guy is UFC level if not being in the UFC? Do you get to be the expert analyst here?

according to dana, if you dont win a title then you arent ufc level. Pretty sure he said okami wasnt doing anything so he cut him. therefore atleast 90% of the ufc fighters should be cut due to whites logic =)

Back