Next for Gaethje?

He has several options: Colin, Conrad, Canor, Conman. He could also take on McNuggests or McChicken

Conor makes the most sense for Gaethje. And if Conor were a regular fighter (rather than a celebrity draw), Gaethje would make the most sense for him.

Poirier is the best option available at the moment, but a Poirier win would do little for the division.

Maybe give Felder or Hooker a big opportunity?

This is a good post, I do wonder if Dustin would take the fight with Gaethje (maybe) I just know how he was when he was refusing Al in Gaethje's position and he's done the same to Hooker with the "Fight has to excite me" response, honestly I think Dustin wants the top or nothing so I'm not sure but maybe he would, who knows :)

Gaethje and Hooker would be good, I like Felder but I feel the Hooker fight would be better, as you mentioned the Conor fight is and should be the fight to make but it's if Conor will do it and all I'm hearing lately is this Frankie talk which apparently Dana has said no.

Gaethje and Conor needs to happen to be honest.

Kron can move up from FW and either submit him or box his face in with those blazing, Brazilian balls of fire he has for hands. Book it!

Felder or Hooker I guess; top 10 coming off Ws. Or Conor if he comes back. Justin needs more wins before he can stake a claim for title shot

Not seeing too many option for him. Only fight that makes sense and wouldn’t be a step down would be a Poirier rematch. No way he waits for the Khabib-Tony winner.
Conor or wait for Khabib/Ferg winner. Taking the Woodley approach and waiting for a TS, even if it takes a while, is sometimes that smarter option.

Gaethje is in the same place Al Iaquinta was before he took his fight with Cowboy.

That's the thing when you get to that position, the fighters above don't want to fight you and the fighters below don't really progress you, this is the thing about the LW division I don't like.

LW is my favourite division believe it or not but the top fighters have all got this thing where they all feel that anyone below them doesn't deserve to fight them which means you get so far and then you become stuck.

Al was in this position, he needed the next fight up to progress and was offered them ALL by the UFC which he accepted every one of them. Dustin said he's got more chance of selling him a house and it's Khabib, Max, Tony or no one, Conor was being Conor and wouldn't fight him at the time because what's Al Iaquinta to him (although he's changed his tune now and says he wants to fight Al and all the LW's now they're no longer catering to him), Tony was out for whatever reason and Khabib was suspended at the time so he had no choice but to take the Cowboy fight, which he did and gave Cowboy a chance to progress too, which of course Al lost and Cowboy did progress.

And Al did the same again for Dan Hooker, didn't have to take that fight either but because he did and Dan won he's now able to progress, whether people like or dislike Al he's one of the least selfish fighters in that division right now which can't be said for them all really.

Dan Hooker is about to face the same as he gets closer and we've already had Dustin saying he's not worthy yet (I doubt Dustin would have said anything different if Dan was right behind him either cause he said the same to Al).

Gaethje is in that position right now, the fight to make is the Conor fight but we know how that is with that.
I think you're giving Al way too much credit. He's taking the fights he can get. No one wants to fight him because he's dull and doesn't sell fights. He's the wrong combination of a little dangerous and a lot boring. Plus, he's the guy who leapfrogged to an undeserved title shot.

I think you're giving Al way too much credit. He's taking the fights he can get. No one wants to fight him because he's dull and doesn't sell fights. He's the wrong combination of a little dangerous and a lot boring. Plus, he's the guy who leapfrogged to an undeserved title shot.

lol, that's funny, sometimes when people try way too hard it's a dead give away, this is one of those moments.

It's absolutely true he was offered and accepted all those fights and the fighters above refused, he was in that position despite what you think to him and should have been allowed to progress but couldn't because of the guys at the top, something that Gaethje is stuck in now and Hooker although not 4th is still facing this from the top guys.

He doesn't have to take NO fight, specially fights that are below him (something other fighters refuse a lot) and if you want to try throw the money thing in well the dude is doing well in Real Estate and doesn't even need his MMA career, he was talking about this about 2 years ago when he was sick of the politics and how he's doing alright and earning enough money in Real Estate and thinking of packing it in but he loves to fight, however you already know this.

It's also true he's taken on the fights for the other fighters and you know that because you have seen them.

But lets break this down.

"He's taking the fights he can get" - Al did NOT have to take the Cowboy fight and DEFINITELY didn't have to take the Hooker fight.
"No one wants to fight him" - Dan Hooker was nagging for the fight, not sure if you saw his call out in the octagon but I'm sure you did.
"Because he's dull" - A lot of people will disagree with that sentiment, he's a very entertaining dude who is compelling to watch.
"Doesn't sell fights" - Yes he does, he also headlined with Cowboy recently but besides yes he does.
"He's the wrong combination of a little dangerous and a lot boring" - A little thing you put together and say it's a wrong combination, he's a good pressure fighter and definitely not boring, performance of the night with Kevin Lee and fight of the night with Cowboy, you don't get those accolades for being "boring".
"Plus, he's the guy who leapfrogged to an undeserved title shot" - In your opinion, the typical Al Iaquinta diss, at the end of the day someone had to take that fight and Al stepped up.

Be a bit more subtle next time and it might not be so obvious.

lol, that's funny, sometimes when people try way too hard it's a dead give away, this is one of those moments.

It's absolutely true he was offered and accepted all those fights and the fighters above refused, he was in that position despite what you think to him and should have been allowed to progress but couldn't because of the guys at the top, something that Gaethje is stuck in now and Hooker although not 4th is still facing this from the top guys.

He doesn't have to take NO fight, specially fights that are below him (something other fighters refuse a lot) and if you want to try throw the money thing in well the dude is doing well in Real Estate and doesn't even need his MMA career, he was talking about this about 2 years ago when he was sick of the politics and how he's doing alright and earning enough money in Real Estate and thinking of packing it in but he loves to fight, however you already know this.

It's also true he's taken on the fights for the other fighters and you know that because you have seen them.

But lets break this down.

"He's taking the fights he can get" - Al did NOT have to take the Cowboy fight and DEFINITELY didn't have to take the Hooker fight.
"No one wants to fight him" - Dan Hooker was nagging for the fight, not sure if you saw his call out in the octagon but I'm sure you did.
"Because he's dull" - A lot of people will disagree with that sentiment, he's a very entertaining dude who is compelling to watch.
"Doesn't sell fights" - Yes he does, he also headlined with Cowboy recently but besides yes he does.
"He's the wrong combination of a little dangerous and a lot boring" - A little thing you put together and say it's a wrong combination, he's a good pressure fighter and definitely not boring, performance of the night with Kevin Lee and fight of the night with Cowboy, you don't get those accolades for being "boring".
"Plus, he's the guy who leapfrogged to an undeserved title shot" - In your opinion, the typical Al Iaquinta diss, at the end of the day someone had to take that fight and Al stepped up.

Be a bit more subtle next time and it might not be so obvious.
I have no idea what you mean when you say "try too hard", "dead giveaway", and "be a bit more subtle"...what are you talking about?

As for Al, no he does not sell. You saying so doesn't make it true. Cowboy was the headliner, not Al. Maybe you like him, that's great, but most people could not care less about Al Iaquinta.

You said he's stuck and can't advance, yet he got a TITLE SHOT when he was ranked #11 !!!

I never said he had to fight, I said he took the only fights he could get, and I stand by that.

You said he didn't have to take the Hooker or Cerrone fights--but your whole point was about getting a chance against higher-ranked opponents, so yes he did if he wanted to move up the rankings. You're contradicting yourself now.

Conor makes the most sense for Gaethje. And if Conor were a regular fighter (rather than a celebrity draw), Gaethje would make the most sense for him.

Poirier is the best option available at the moment, but a Poirier win would do little for the division.

if Conor were to fight again, either Justin or Dustin would make sense. Justin vs Dustin would too. Either guy winning would put them in there for a TS. Unless after Tony, if it does happen, they push for GSP or Conor..shit could happen. I hope not though. Poirier needs to get a good win too. He ain't gettin a rematch anytime soon.

yeah, i also agree with Felder or Hooker. Get a top 10 win at least and wait for others to fall off. Gaethje is 30 so a couple wins isn't too long away for him.

I have no idea what you mean when you say "try too hard", "dead giveaway", and "be a bit more subtle"...what are you talking about?

As for Al, no he does not sell. You saying so doesn't make it true. Cowboy was the headliner, not Al. Maybe you like him, that's great, but most people could not care less about Al Iaquinta.

You said he's stuck and can't advance, yet he got a TITLE SHOT when he was ranked #11 !!!

I never said he had to fight, I said he took the only fights he could get, and I stand by that.

You said he didn't have to take the Hooker or Cerrone fights--but your whole point was about getting a chance against higher-ranked opponents, so yes he did if he wanted to move up the rankings. You're contradicting yourself now.

The title shot was a completely different time and circumstance that you know he wouldn't have got normally (whoever stepped in kudos for taking the fight and giving the paying crowd the chance to see Khabib fight), that was a unique unfortunate situation and doesn't change the fact when he got to 4th in the division he ended up stuck in limbo, how can you even deny this when every fight above was offered to him and he accepted but all those fighters wouldn't let him?

And yes he does sell, they were even saying towards the Dan Hooker fight they expected a lot of fans for Al because he was a popular dude there and it wasn't just Cowboy that sold that main event, you cannot say the only reason that was main event is because of Cowboy and wasn't because of Al (who again was 4th in the division), Al has his fans just like any other fighter up there in the division and people pay to see him.

Of course Cowboy contributed to being the star of that main event for sure but it wasn't a one sided thing and people do want to see Al fight, a lot might not but a lot do too and enough will buy tickets to see Al Iaquinta fight, he was just co main with Dan at 243 and that's not just because of Dan either.

And you're right about him taking them fights because they were the only one's he could get, that proves my point about the above all denying him when he was 4th in the division.

Sorry but if you're in a division and someone else is 4th needing that step up fight it doesn't matter who it is, that person should be allowed to progress and get that chance which wasn't the case in Al's and he got stuck.

And that last part doesn't contradict at all, Al could have sat and waited things out like a lot of fighters do and when I said he didn't have to take the fight as not only for that reason but also the fact that if someone was going to say about a money thing well he's earning good money in Real Estate so he doesn't have to take fights, that's what I mean, he doesn't have to take lower ranked guys to go further up in the division he can just sit and wait or refuse lower ranked fights like the 3 guys above Al at the time were doing also.

Al didn't have to take the fight with Dan Hooker, he could have said no I'll wait for a better fight like everyone else seems to be doing.

And yes he was catapulted into a title shot which he hadn't earned no one said otherwise but that's not Al's fault, someone had to step in and if it wasn't Al it was someone else who you would be saying that about but that's not their fault is it? Are you going to say that's a bad thing in regards to Al Iaquinta because if not then why even bring that up?

And the whole things you mentioned in your opening line is because every other word or too seemed like a complete knock or over exaggerated to discredit him.

Give the man credit where it's due, you don't have to like him if you don't want, that;s completely fine but it's not hard to give credit where it's due and you cannot blame Al or even knock him for taking that fight with Khabib, if it wasn't for Al there wouldn't have been no fight that night and someone had to step in, so whether it was undeserved or not it was the situation that caused that, it's nothing but a credit to him for doing stepping in and doing so to those fans could get that event (he was due to fight Felder wasn't he).

It was just one of those unfortunate situations was that, he would never have got that shot otherwise but it is not a bad thing he stepped in, even if that did mean he got an underserved title shot it's just how it was.

Last edited:
If he can get on the same card as Tony and Khabib, he has a chance at fighting for the belt or an interim belt, considering Tony's and Khabib's track record.......random steel wire and pallets of tiramisu.......

The Poirier rematch makes the most sense for him. The only other alternative is beating one of these other guys who have been moving up the rankings. But a win over Poirier would solidify that he deserves a title shot.

Not seeing too many option for him. Only fight that makes sense and wouldn’t be a step down would be a Poirier rematch. No way he waits for the Khabib-Tony winner.
or Conor, if he can stay out of jail. Justin has repeatedly expressed interest in that fight too

The title shot was a completely different time and circumstance that you know he wouldn't have got normally (whoever stepped in kudos for taking the fight and giving the paying crowd the chance to see Khabib fight), that was a unique unfortunate situation and doesn't change the fact when he got to 4th in the division he ended up stuck in limbo, how can you even deny this when every fight above was offered to him and he accepted but all those fighters wouldn't let him?

And yes he does sell, they were even saying towards the Dan Hooker fight they expected a lot of fans for Al because he was a popular dude there and it wasn't just Cowboy that sold that main event, you cannot say the only reason that was main event is because of Cowboy and wasn't because of Al (who again was 4th in the division), Al has his fans just like any other fighter up there in the division and people pay to see him.

Of course Cowboy contributed to being the star of that main event for sure but it wasn't a one sided thing and people do want to see Al fight, a lot might not but a lot do too and enough will buy tickets to see Al Iaquinta fight, he was just co main with Dan at 243 and that's not just because of Dan either.

And you're right about him taking them fights because they were the only one's he could get, that proves my point about the above all denying him when he was 4th in the division.

Sorry but if you're in a division and someone else is 4th needing that step up fight it doesn't matter who it is, that person should be allowed to progress and get that chance which wasn't the case in Al's and he got stuck.

And that last part doesn't contradict at all, Al could have sat and waited things out like a lot of fighters do and when I said he didn't have to take the fight as not only for that reason but also the fact that if someone was going to say about a money thing well he's earning good money in Real Estate so he doesn't have to take fights, that's what I mean, he doesn't have to take lower ranked guys to go further up in the division he can just sit and wait or refuse lower ranked fights like the 3 guys above Al at the time were doing also.

Al didn't have to take the fight with Dan Hooker, he could have said no I'll wait for a better fight like everyone else seems to be doing.

And yes he was catapulted into a title shot which he hadn't earned no one said otherwise but that's not Al's fault, someone had to step in and if it wasn't Al it was someone else who you would be saying that about but that's not their fault is it? Are you going to say that's a bad thing in regards to Al Iaquinta because if not then why even bring that up?

And the whole things you mentioned in your opening line is because every other word or too seemed like a complete knock or over exaggerated to discredit him.

Give the man credit where it's due, you don't have to like him if you don't want, that;s completely fine but it's not hard to give credit where it's due and you cannot blame Al or even knock him for taking that fight with Khabib, if it wasn't for Al there wouldn't have been no fight that night and someone had to step in, so whether it was undeserved or not it was the situation that caused that, it's nothing but a credit to him for doing stepping in and doing so to those fans could get that event (he was due to fight Felder wasn't he).

It was just one of those unfortunate situations was that, he would never have got that shot otherwise but it is not a bad thing he stepped in, even if that did mean he got an underserved title shot it's just how it was.
I guess we just have to agree to disagree, because I disagree with almost everything you just said.

To me, Al is not popular, is boring, doesn't sell, has been given more opportunities than most fighters of his calibre.

I'm not knocking Al for taking that title fight, I'm knocking your argument that he hasn't been given opportunity to advance.

Also, on a big win streak and having been gifted a win over Masvidal in one of the worst decisions ever, he decided to sit out 2 years over a contract dispute and that's when he got his realtor license--so there goes your argument about not caring about the money.

Back