1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

Next for Gaethje?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Gabe, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Gabe

Gabe Saturdays are for the Boys

Not seeing too many option for him. Only fight that makes sense and wouldn’t be a step down would be a Poirier rematch. No way he waits for the Khabib-Tony winner.

2. chitoortiz

chitoortiz Silver Belt

3. Zebra Cheeks

Zebra Cheeks Don’t look into the eye of the storm Platinum Member

When you think about it, tony and Poirer put together such insane runs. I think Justin is great and is on his way, but if we’re being consistent with what it takes to earn a title shot at LW he’s not there yet.

DorianGray likes this.
  4. Natural Order

Natural Order Bad Mutha Shoopa

Colin

Ironnik94 likes this.
  5. The 90's Rulez

The 90's Rulez Killer Cub Platinum Member

Gaethje is in the same place Al Iaquinta was before he took his fight with Cowboy.

That's the thing when you get to that position, the fighters above don't want to fight you and the fighters below don't really progress you, this is the thing about the LW division I don't like.

LW is my favourite division believe it or not but the top fighters have all got this thing where they all feel that anyone below them doesn't deserve to fight them which means you get so far and then you become stuck.

Al was in this position, he needed the next fight up to progress and was offered them ALL by the UFC which he accepted every one of them. Dustin said he's got more chance of selling him a house and it's Khabib, Max, Tony or no one, Conor was being Conor and wouldn't fight him at the time because what's Al Iaquinta to him (although he's changed his tune now and says he wants to fight Al and all the LW's now they're no longer catering to him), Tony was out for whatever reason and Khabib was suspended at the time so he had no choice but to take the Cowboy fight, which he did and gave Cowboy a chance to progress too, which of course Al lost and Cowboy did progress.

And Al did the same again for Dan Hooker, didn't have to take that fight either but because he did and Dan won he's now able to progress, whether people like or dislike Al he's one of the least selfish fighters in that division right now which can't be said for them all really.

Dan Hooker is about to face the same as he gets closer and we've already had Dustin saying he's not worthy yet (I doubt Dustin would have said anything different if Dan was right behind him either cause he said the same to Al).

Gaethje is in that position right now, the fight to make is the Conor fight but we know how that is with that.

6. Herwald

Herwald Brown Belt

If I were him, I'd aim to be on that Khabib/Tony card vs whoever steps up.

Raulx, Ironnik94, BRaVo cHoKe and 3 others like this.
  7. LockardTheGOAT

LockardTheGOAT Sherdog's Intellectual Savior

Conor would make the most sense... or Tony, if Ferguson gets passed up for a title shot by either GSP or McGregor

Raulx and Lord Grey like this.
  8. TheLastStyleBender

TheLastStyleBender Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

He's 3-2 in the UFC and his biggest wins are over Cowboy and Barboza. He turned his nose up at a Poirier rematch after Poirier knocked him out. He's really not in a position to wait around for a title shot. He does nothing for Khabib's legacy.

Ideally for him he would fight Conor next, but we know that won't happen and avenging his loss to Dustin is the next best thing.

Raulx likes this.
  9. josephsjoseph

josephsjoseph Orange Belt

if the tony kabib fight actually happens i think he should fight conor and winner fights winner sort of thing. i dont see why this wouldn't be awesome.

Raulx likes this.
  10. Fatback96

Fatback96 Brown Belt

He’s going to have to wait. If he doesn’t, it’ll be a stupid risk on his part.

magicmarker likes this.
  11. Rvd Slmr

Rvd Slmr Silver Belt

This, being ready for when someone pulls out is his best shot at the belt.

12. TheLastStyleBender

TheLastStyleBender Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

He could potentially sit out years if he "waits". Ferguson and GSP are definitely in the que ahead of him, and from a business standpoint so is Conor.

Avenge your loss to Dustin, and make more of a case for a title shot. 3-2 in the UFC with wins over Vick, Cowboy and Barboza is not going to cut it.

VVarhead likes this.
  13. Joseph_McBride

Joseph_McBride Black Belt

He can't wait because Khabib/Tony will go down in March, & the winner won't fight again until fall 2020.

If I was Gaethje, I would take on Felder on the same card as Khabib/Tony. It's a good stylistic matchup & showcase for Gaethje. Plus he could fill in if something happens fight week. Felder will never be ranked higher.

georgekillian likes this.
  14. LeNoirNePasMerde

LeNoirNePasMerde Those liberal freaks go to far

Wouldn't mind seeing a Poirier rematch

15. MMAViewer

MMAViewer Black Belt

Well we know being consistent means nothing to the ufc. Sadly! There are good fights to make but too much bullshit has seeped into the bookings it's a crap shoot.
    Being healthy and answering the phone when it rings is all he can hope for. He brings the viewers. Sure is fun to watch.

16. Filthy Phil

Filthy Phil Blue Belt

Hmm, a good suggestion would be to get one more fight, then lobby hard for fighting the winner of Khabib vs Tony

17. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

Dudes really grown on me. Give him a red panty night.

Ironnik94 likes this.
  18. Redfish

Redfish Orange Belt

I don't know why, but I do sense that he would do well against Khabib. I doubt hell get the chance to prove it though.

Ironnik94 likes this.
  19. KingBeef

KingBeef Black Belt

If he doesn't want to wait for those ranked above him, I say fuck it and set it up with Dan Hooker.

20. Lord Grey

Lord Grey Green Belt

Conor makes the most sense for Gaethje. And if Conor were a regular fighter (rather than a celebrity draw), Gaethje would make the most sense for him.

Poirier is the best option available at the moment, but a Poirier win would do little for the division.

Maybe give Felder or Hooker a big opportunity?