News media airing Amazon propaganda

Here is a service (with a computer program) that all of these same local news stations are likely using:
https://www.avid.com/products/inews

There are story alerts that come off the wire with various levels of urgency (including color-coding).

It's not a conspiracy. These are all local news stations that are picking up the story off the wire. Most of the hard news isn't generated by these people. It's created by bodies like Reuters or the AP, and then re-broadcast by local journalists like these around the English-speaking world.

This was clearly one of the trending headlines of the day.

So what you're saying is local news are just puppets and mouth pieces for bodies like Rueters and AP? They just repeat what national news says. I feel so much better now.

I told people 10 years ago that the pro coffee propaganda I would see once a year on the news was literally advertising/propaganda on behalf of some very, very rich people who were friends with media heads.

They are so evil and I can't stop giving them money. It's like an abusive relationship.
Not gonna lie. I gave them almost $500 today alone. Given them thousands over the years.

FeelsBadMan.png

So what you're saying is local news are just puppets and mouth pieces for bodies like Rueters and AP? They just repeat what national news says. I feel so much better now.
A comment as thick-skulled as always.

No, they're not "puppets". A puppet is controlled without choice. They choose which headlines come off the international and national wires they choose to rebroadcast. The don't have the resources to send out reporters across the world. Most can barely cover their local beats adequately.

If they were puppets, they would not enjoy this freedom. Furthermore, the services like the one I shared scrape from dozens (or even hundreds) of different news organizations across the world. There is no echo chamber. Reuters and the AP are two of the largest ones. This has been standard practice for decades. The difference is the technology has matured, so more news generators are aggregated, but today, they'll also track the trending counts. The potential downside to this is that the stories that are trending will be more likely to be shared, and it becomes a feast or famine system of rebroadcasting; the stories that are tracking well becomes even more likely to get picked up, and their inertia builds like a snowball. The result is the stories that are covered narrows like wealth accumulating at the top. Major wire contributors tend to dominate.

A better analogy are the supermarkets. There is an illusion of choice. You think all these different news stations, like all the different food choices, represent a deeply diverse landscape. It is not so. Virtually every frozen pizza or snack you see is owned and sold by one of a half dozen companies. Nearly every carton of milk or cut of meat across the country comes from one of six different dairy plants or butchering slaughterhouses. This is the reality of our national news.

Nevertheless, it's not the most alarming reality. After all, some stories are more important than others. Everyone should be reporting the most important news. No, the real problem is that the stories that are tracking lately are the clickbait headlines; the ones that divide us, or sensationalize some trivial nonsense. Sex sells. Scandal sells. Hyperbole sells. Outrage sells.

Hard news doesn't sell.

It's not a conspiracy. These are all local news stations that are picking up the story off the wire. Most of the hard news isn't generated by these people. It's created by bodies like Reuters or the AP, and then re-broadcast by local journalists like these around the English-speaking world.

This was clearly one of the trending headlines of the day.

This "news" story was a prepared script from Amazon. It's propaganda so that they look good ahead of their annual shareholder meeting.

This "news" story was a prepared script from Amazon. It's propaganda so that they look good ahead of their annual shareholder meeting.
Cure this break from reality. They don't require propaganda. The lockdown and relief bill (which has functioned like a glorified stimulus Bush Jr. passed spiking discretionary spending among the poor) is the means by which Amazon is empowered. They have no need for propaganda. Their sales are the only thing they need to take to a shareholder meeting. They're off the charts.

Cure this break from reality. They don't require propaganda. The lockdown and relief bill (which has functioned like a glorified stimulus Bush Jr. passed spiking discretionary spending among the poor) is the means by which Amazon is empowered. They have no need for propaganda. Their sales are the only thing they need to take to a shareholder meeting. They're off the charts.

Then why did their PR team produce and script this fake news segment?

More so to draw sympathy and acceptance from Amazon shoppers who would otherwise be appalled at the conditions they treat their workers

Probably just all regurgitating the same AP article, this is not new, just easier to spot these days.

It honestly could be something as simple as that JournoList thing where news personalities go to a private forum and share notes, and likely even create template broadcast scripts and whatnot. I know students do stuff like this. Might not be a top down thing so much as a journalist communication subculture thing.

The whole Bond villain thing is a compelling narrative, but it could be as simple as a private forum/group where newscasters go and say "So, how are you guys covering this? We don't want to axe each others' credibility by presenting differently" and it results in template coverage being a result of journalist interaction, not puppetmasters. Not saying this couldn't go either way, but I'd want to see how Bezos is influencing the news prior to believing, full stop, that he's giving these people marching orders.

JournoList isn't any better. It amounts to the same thing, the creation of standardized media narratives rather than the independent reporting of news.

If you had the money I wonder what you could make these puppets say or do. Like would some guy with a masters in journalism shill for boner pills or fleshlights because his parent company tells him to. Is there a line somewhere they won't cross? Could you make them dance or eat something gross? Is it like the sims for the super rich?

JournoList isn't any better. It amounts to the same thing, the creation of standardized media narratives rather than the independent reporting of news.

That may be true. The student example I gave is when students in different seminars all have to give presentations, and they basically create a Google Doc and share notes. Their presentations are almost all the same, but you can't really mark them down if the content is good. I get that this isn't an ideal circumstance for newscasting.

That being said, this sort of intra-journalist sharing is a very different (and still not necessarily good) beast than Amazon giving them marching orders. That's really all that I was getting at - not that a JournoList type scenario is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back