news anchor becomes a hero

She can't be, because she wouldn't fit in a superhero costum.

Rally 'round the fatty!
With a pocket full of Taco Bell!

Uhhhhhh!

Should people just be hired on the basis of life expectancy? Because other than that there's no comparison between booze and food.

We're not talking about discriminating hiring policies, we're talking about the influence of role models.

Ok, now let's look at it from a realistic point of view. When's the last time you were influenced by a news anchor?

The chick didn't deserve hate mail just cause she's a fatty. A person should be able to go to work, do their job, and not be heckled just because a random asshole doesn't like what they see.

She's a news lady not a catwalk model.

No don't get me wrong I am in no way saying that she should face abuse for being overweight, that is prejudice and just wrong. What I am saying is she should not be a role model for being overweight.

more like shes been slamming down on them heroes

No don't get me wrong I am in no way saying that she should face abuse for being overweight, that is prejudice and just wrong. What I am saying is she should not be a role model for being overweight.

I agree.

same way rosa parks was a hero

take back your self worth, you are more than just a number on a scale!

I'm sure she is more than one number on a scale.

I hate the "Fat and proud" or "Fat is a choice" crowd. Since Adele all those house elephants suddenly think they are sexy and doing a good job. No, you aren't. You are not healthy, not sexy, you are sick. Just like people with anorexia. Do something about it before its too late.

Why is she a hero and an example? If an anchor was a drug addict or an alcoholic and would act and look like one on tv, would he be a hero and applauded?

They shouldn't kick her ass of the air, they should put her in a reality show to lose weight. Unhealthy lifestyles (drugs, food, smokes, alcohol) cost the taxpayer a ton of money.

It was a prick letter to send for sure, but it touches on a valid point. As a society, we openly frown upon smoking, drinking to excess, drinking and driving, etc, yet none of those kill as many people as obesity does. If we won't let a newscaster smoke on TV because of the message it would portray, why allow an obese newscaster on TV?

Very true. Unfortunately, this is probably too hard a message for people to swallow. Wouldn't people complain that they were being discriminated against on the basis of genetics?

Ok, now let's look at it from a realistic point of view. When's the last time you were influenced by a news anchor?

The chick didn't deserve hate mail just cause she's a fatty. A person should be able to go to work, do their job, and not be heckled just because a random asshole doesn't like what they see.

She's a news lady not a catwalk model.

So to get back to the original point, all of the efforts to remove smoking from popular culture media were pointless because "When's the last time you were influenced by a news anchor?"

The lady's rebuttal is sort of like the unsubtle version of what I'm talking about. "It's okay to be fat!" is not a good message at all.

We're not talking about discriminating hiring policies, we're talking about the influence of role models.

Cool, do you think having a news anchor drink driving and doing the news cast pissed sends the same message?

There should be some obese news anchors, how often do we hear about models having a terrible effect on teenage girls self
esteem, most news babes are perfect 10s.

Edit: I don't mean there should be obese news anchors just to have them, but if they're good at their job the shouldn't be discriminated against.

Last edited:
So to get back to the original point, all of the efforts to remove smoking from popular culture media were pointless because "When's the last time you were influenced by a news anchor?"

The lady's rebuttal is sort of like the unsubtle version of what I'm talking about. "It's okay to be fat!" is not a good message at all.

It's not a good message, I agree. But the guy probably hurt her feelings, which made her want to respond to it.

I think it's important to tell children to watch their health and weight, but I also think it's equally important to tell children not to be mean.

I know it sounds funny, but mean people fuckin suck.

Then why is it you disagree with the letter saying "Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular"? Scientific evidence backs up this statement and people in the media are considered role models (which you just agreed she should not be for being fat).

Perhaps it's because you are a kind person ninja and probably object to the letter being so callous and insincere but you can't disagree with the premise and underlying morality of it or the facts that support the letter.

Back