news anchor becomes a hero

Genetics play a part in substance abuse as well.

And just because you have fat genes doesnt make you fat, I have it in my genes and Im in good shape.
Sorry, but that's a bunch of malarkey. It's basic math. You consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight. You consume less calories than you burn, you lose weight. People have different metabolisms and all sorts of other factors, but you can compensate for all of that by adjusting how much you eat and how active you are. It really is that simple.
If you are predisposed to alcoholism or substance abuse, that still doesn't mean anything unless or until you pick up the bottle or the cigarette. So your default, sans action, is to not be a substance abuser.

On the other hand, everyone eats, so being predisposed to obesity will make being overweight your default. Thus it's not a "choice" in the same way that substance abuse is.

If you are predisposed to alcoholism or substance abuse, that still doesn't mean anything unless or until you pick up the bottle or the cigarette. So your default, sans action, is to not be a substance abuser.

On the other hand, everyone eats, so being predisposed to obesity will make being overweight your default. Thus it's not a "choice" in the same way that substance abuse is.

Yes it is, because you control how much food you eat. You don't need to get to the obese stage to realize that. Once you start to get into the unhealthy overweight category, you can eat less, until you stop gaining weight. It won't hurt you.

Everyone eats, everyone doesnt gorge on enough food to feed a household, thats a choice too.

And Id say the vast majority of ppl have indulged in cigarettes or alchohol at some point in their lives so that isnt too far off from being universal either.

Oh come on.

Being fat really is, with very few exceptions, the result of a long series of bad choices.

Place personal responsibility where it needs to be.

All of this obesity talk, plus the first clear night in awhile, and a damn near full moon. Imma go for a nice nighttime run.

If you eat relatively small portions of healthy food for every meal and don't snack or drink too much, you won't get obese. Unless you really have a legit medical condition.

...After the fight card?

You don't know it, but you're rubbing it in.

I have no tv. Neither bar in Gibsons shows UFC's. And my internet connection is very basic, streaming doesn't really work if I was so inclined to purchase it online.

Man, that felt lame. :icon_cry2

Oh Tomax, I didn't mean to. Sorry. Sorry sorry. I'm sure it won't be great.

It's pretty sad that in a conversation about obesity in our culture, saying what you do to keep in shape is seen as bragging. No surprise, though, when 70% of people are overweight or obese.

Oh, by the way, my BMI is 26.5, which means I'm overweight. :icon_sad:

Don't try to blame society because you are condescending. That's on you.

Yes it is, because you control how much food you eat. You don't need to get to the obese stage to realize that. Once you start to get into the unhealthy overweight category, you can eat less, until you stop gaining weight. It won't hurt you.
But depending on your metabolism, the same amount of food will cause different amounts of weight gain for different people. And you must eat some amount of food. So there is a guaranteed element to weight that is not chosen. The amount of exercise and dieting that some will have to do in order to be thin is far greater than others.

As I said earlier, I'm 6'1" and the most I've ever weighed is 161 pounds. Am I setting a "good example" if I'm on TV for health and dieting? No, because I haven't had a regular schedule of exercise in years and I pay no attention whatsoever to my diet. I eat what I want, when I want. I didn't choose to be this size, I'm either unlucky (if I want to be bigger) or lucky (if I want to be skinny), depending on your perspective.

With all this talk about fat women it looks like adwords has taken notice; I saw an ad for "BBW singles".

But depending on your metabolism, the same amount of food will cause different amounts of weight gain for different people. And you must eat some amount of food. So there is a guaranteed element to weight that is not chosen. The amount of exercise and dieting that some will have to do in order to be thin is far greater than others.

As I said earlier, I'm 6'1" and the most I've ever weighed is 161 pounds. Am I setting a "good example" if I'm on TV for health and dieting? No, because I haven't had a regular schedule of exercise in years and I pay no attention whatsoever to my diet. I eat what I want, when I want. I didn't choose to be this size, I'm either unlucky (if I want to be bigger) or lucky (if I want to be skinny), depending on your perspective.

If your getting fat you are eating to much. You can't get fat without a surplus of calories (more calories than your body needs to function)

I don't understand obesity. How hard is it to keep a healthly balanced diet and work out a couple of times a week?

Back