Newest M.I.T. study : The impact of quarantine on infection rates

What about the heat? NY got smashed, but they've also got seasons. Of all the places that got nailed, how hard were the warmer climates hit? I haven't fully kept up on all the outbreaks, but I don't recall much coming out of the hot as fuck states like Texas and Cali.

This makes sense, but I thought NOLA got hit pretty hard. Louisiana is a warm place.

Less meaningless than politicians making statements though, because the researchers are using widely available figures.

You don't need peer-review to know that when you lift the lockdown infected cases are going to skyrocket.

No. For that you just need a crystal ball.

I'm gonna say something not popular:
In the US and the West, people are so used to individual freedom. Everybody resists any kind of strong government mandate. Not only that but they're so used to doing a lot of things, hundreds of recreational things, lots of business travels, lots of movement.... It's hard to give it up immediately. Also there's a sense of complacency: we are an advanced nation, nothing can touch us.

Not so in a typical let's say third world country like Vietnam: lots of fear for instance: fear of the government, fear of not having to eat, fear of infectious diseases: lots of superstition. That's why when the government comes down on something: EVERYONE OBEYS. Because they've seen that if you mess with the govt. you could disappear forever, no due process whatsoever. Poor people also travel less, no international flights, no mandatory business trips, no must-go Spring break. They stay home, walk, ride their bikes around town. That's about it. They also have less recreational demand. One of the reasons for the high birthrates is because there's nothing to do, you get the idea.

So this is the price of freedom

We had the virus in California for at a minimum 50 days with NO social distancing. This is a state with crowded malls, crowded theaters and restaurants, buses all over the place, Disneyland, knotts berry farm, Hollywood, Silicon Valley, tons of homeless. So why are we largely being spared?

I have trouble believing anything about this virus when I'm living in an environment that all the experts say should not and can not be possible.

That is unless we here in CA had this virus earlier and largely have some sort of immunity now

I read on a anti-climate change website, that all the air pollution helped the libs in Cali develop immunity in their respirator systems

Looks like it was performed in Python...that's a matplotlib visualization if I've ever seen one. Wonder which ML algorithm they used...SVC, DecisionTree, Naive Bayes, etc...

Sorry...off topic...I've been working on my master's in Data Science...

The problem I have with Python and other MC-34+ mediums is that their decimatic plot sets are wholly incongruous with running multiple 36RcR queries from a remote location unless you additionally account for the purchase and installation of a 77-Hrc regulator.

Btw, that ignore list in your sig tells me you haven't been in the WR long.

Even my wife's surgeon said that two weeks ago. He said 'it's good we got this done now instead of in two weeks when covid gets really bad.'

It's two weeks later and the hospitals are still well below capacity.

What, like Italy?

America will be at 40K deaths before Monday. Without the quarantine we’d be at 100K deaths already (maybe even more) and many hospital systems would’ve crashed. Doctors and nurses, and other front line workers would be dropping dead all over. The death toll would not be slowing either.

I just don’t understand how people think we should’ve had the economy open. If you’re willing to kill a football stadiums worth of people in 40-50 days (for the economy) you have something wrong with your brain.

Looks like it was performed in Python...that's a matplotlib visualization if I've ever seen one. Wonder which ML algorithm they used...SVC, DecisionTree, Naive Bayes, etc...

Sorry...off topic...I've been working on my master's in Data Science...
Data interpretation exists within the domain of rhetoric.

America will be at 40K deaths before Monday. Without the quarantine we’d be at 100K deaths already (maybe even more) and many hospital systems would’ve crashed. Doctors and nurses, and other front line workers would be dropping dead all over. The death toll would not be slowing either.

I just don’t understand how people think we should’ve had the economy open. If you’re willing to kill a football stadiums worth of people in 40-50 days (for the economy) you have something wrong with your brain.
The sun rises every day because I pray for it to before bed.

What about the heat? NY got smashed, but they've also got seasons. Of all the places that got nailed, how hard were the warmer climates hit? I haven't fully kept up on all the outbreaks, but I don't recall much coming out of the hot as fuck states like Texas and Cali.

It's been hot here in florida.

The problem I have with Python and other MC-34+ mediums is that their decimatic plot sets are wholly incongruous with running multiple 36RcR queries from a remote location unless you additionally account for the purchase and installation of a 77-Hrc regulator.

Btw, that ignore list in your sig tells me you haven't been in the WR long.
Mostly idiots from The Heavies on that list. I haven't put anyone fro WR on ignore, honestly.

I'm gonna say something not popular:
In the US and the West, people are so used to individual freedom. Everybody resists any kind of strong government mandate. Not only that but they're so used to doing a lot of things, hundreds of recreational things, lots of business travels, lots of movement.... It's hard to give it up immediately. Also there's a sense of complacency: we are an advanced nation, nothing can touch us.

Not so in a typical let's say third world country like Vietnam: lots of fear for instance: fear of the government, fear of not having to eat, fear of infectious diseases: lots of superstition. That's why when the government comes down on something: EVERYONE OBEYS. Because they've seen that if you mess with the govt. you could disappear forever, no due process whatsoever. Poor people also travel less, no international flights, no mandatory business trips, no must-go Spring break. They stay home, walk, ride their bikes around town. That's about it. They also have less recreational demand. One of the reasons for the high birthrates is because there's nothing to do, you get the idea.

So this is the price of freedom

Individual freedom as well as social requirements, I'd say.

One of the reasons why I believe that the virus seemingly hasn't hit my country that strongly, is because we don't really have that many "social requirements" in the first place. "Social distancing" is something that comes pretty natural to people over here. You don't need to be in somebody's face clutching their shoulders to talk to somebody.

It's not like the government is doing that great of a job, much of preparation has been totally botched with broken equipment, and lack of testing, but when people are told stay in their homes, they truly stay in their homes. In fact you don't really even need to order them around, it's their preference.

Back