newbie, which style should I learn?

oki_ronin

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a new guy to mma. I'm in the Air Force and stationed in Okinawa. I've been here for a few months, and still haven't heard about too many places to go off base. On base there are classes in Hapkido, Jujitsu, Kung Fu, and Tai Chi. I was just wondering which one I should check out. I've been watching UFC for a while, and have been checking out Pride and K1 recently. I want to learn something that could be applied in that style of mma fighting. What do you think? Thanks

You should learn them in this order of importance in relation to their effectiveness: Jujitsu, Hapkido, Kungfu, and if your desperate Tai chi.

If you can get off base, there are probably an ass-ton off awesome schools in Okinawa.

Depends upon the instructor and the quality of the rest of the guys in the class, so I'd look into both the jj and Hapkido classes.

I wish I was so lucky to take jujitsu over there! Take advantage of it while you can! And, like tinker said, try to check off post, too.

Leave the tai-chi and Kung Fu alone (unless it is SanShou/Sanda or ShuaiJiao but I doubt it). Jiujitsu or Hapkido depending on the instructors. Get a club that gives you a REAL workout - with live sparring & actual resistance.

More effective again would be a Muay Thai or Boxing class, Brazillian JiuJitsu, Judo, "subwrestling" or (unlikely) Sambo (more unlikely combat Sambo) Greco Roman or Freestyle wrestling. I've heard Kyokoshin Karate has a decent credibility also.

Look for a place where there is a lot of sweating & working going on not for a place where they do katas, stand in a line & punch air, break boards, or teach complicated techaniques that only work against a non-resisting opponent.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll do my best to see what is offered off base. I'd love to get into muy thai if I could find somewhere to take it over here.

If you had to pick between jujitsu, hapkido, tai chi, and kung fu, definitely do jujitsu.

I'd recommend jiu jitsu. Though I don't know if you are talking about traditional jiu jitsu or brazilian jiu jitsu. Actually, it doesn't matter. I'd do jiu jitsu either way.

look into kyukushinkai or judo, I am sure there is someone that teaches

I'd do Jujitsu or Hapkido. Bear in mind that the Japanese variety of Jujitsu is going to be decidedly different than the Brazilian type, especially if it's Aikido Jujitsu (have you confirmed that or not?). Hapkido is nice; no ground game I'm aware from, but plenty of good standing submissions (hold, armbars, small joint locks) and some striking and possibly weapons (staff, short staff, and cane).

Michael Quach said:
Oh dear Lord, what was that???

That was a tai chi instructor showing his class what MT is all about, if you understand how your opponent fights you can beat him :D (or at least that's what their website says)

http://wongkk.com/video-clips/taijiquan/muaythai01.html

To the original poster, i'd suggest looking at places off base, shouldn't be too hard to find some that are closer to what you want to do, also it wouldn't hurt to just have a look at what's offered on base.

Hamit Aktas said:
I'd recommend jiu jitsu. Though I don't know if you are talking about traditional jiu jitsu or brazilian jiu jitsu. Actually, it doesn't matter. I'd do jiu jitsu either way.

He's in Okinawa, so it's most likely traditional Jiu-jitsu.

Look into the jiu-jitsu. For your standup try to get off base and find an a school that teaches Okinawan karate, not japanese karate. A lot of the Okinawan styles still keep the standing joint locks, chokes, and other submission as well as give you a base for stand up. I've been studying an old Okinawan style for the past 9 years and have been quite pleased with it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Back