Newbie question: so this is normal...right?

Will_N.O.

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So yesterday's class marked exactly ONE week of me going to BJJ class. First week was great, obviously I am totally clueless at this point, but I managed to stumble into a couple of guard passes and execute a couple of basic positional techniques half-way decently.

I guess I am now getting to be a familiar face, because in open mat time at the end of class last night I got to see considerably more of the other white belts' games. I got just totally demolished by everyone. I mean TOTALLY demolished, like tapping 3 times per round. These are not quick taps, either...I am not going to sleep of course, but I'm not tapping until the sub is sunk in deep enough that I can no longer defend it at all.

I will say that I had fun anyway, and that I didn't spaz and hurt anyone, and I can't wait until next class so I can see if I can a do little better. But I am wondering if getting totally worked over like is normal for newbies? I'm really concentrating on trying to get the techniques right and not worrying about geting tapped in the process...but if I am getting tapped 3 times a round, am I maybe being a little too OK with getting tapped?

completely normal, dont worry about it, everything will come with time

Nothing wrong with that, one week is nothing really. You will slowly get better, but it will take time.

I'd be like never playing baseball, then starting to play and wondering if you should be striking out all the time.

Absolutely. You will probably go through this for several months. Just keep training.

So yesterday's class marked exactly ONE week of me going to BJJ class. First week was great, obviously I am totally clueless at this point, but I managed to stumble into a couple of guard passes and execute a couple of basic positional techniques half-way decently.

I guess I am now getting to be a familiar face, because in open mat time at the end of class last night I got to see considerably more of the other white belts' games. I got just totally demolished by everyone. I mean TOTALLY demolished, like tapping 3 times per round. These are not quick taps, either...I am not going to sleep of course, but I'm not tapping until the sub is sunk in deep enough that I can no longer defend it at all.

I will say that I had fun anyway, and that I didn't spaz and hurt anyone, and I can't wait until next class so I can see if I can a do little better. But I am wondering if getting totally worked over like is normal for newbies? I'm really concentrating on trying to get the techniques right and not worrying about geting tapped in the process...but if I am getting tapped 3 times a round, am I maybe being a little too OK with getting tapped?

Of course that's normal. It'll be quite a while before you start mounting any offense, so just stick with it.

Renzo said "you have to be the nail for a very long time before you ever get to be the hammer."

It's not like other sports that are played traditionally. A good athlete can jump into a pickup game of basketball or flag football and be alright, because most people play a multitude of team sports growing up, acquiring skills to a degree.

Beginning grappling is a lot like getting thrown in a pool without swimming skills. You have to play in the shallows for a while or you'll drown, but eventually the kiddie pool won't be enough challenge.

yes it's normal. just keep at it :)

sidenote: why does every ask if it's normal to get your ass kicked when you're starting out in BJJ? of course it is..do you expect to be instantly good at everything you do the first time? must be all the people watching UFC now :)

"the more you tap, the more you learn" -Dean Lister-

sidenote: why does every ask if it's normal to get your ass kicked when you're starting out in BJJ? of course it is..do you expect to be instantly good at everything you do the first time? must be all the people watching UFC now :)

I didn't expect to be any good; I was just wondering if getting tapped every 90 seconds was an indication that maybe my attitude was a little too casual.

What I'm hearing is "no, it just means you suck." I'm cool with that; I should suck after only a week. I'm pretty sure if I keep going to class and paying attention to help from higher belts I'll suck less in a year or so and maybe even be halfway decent a couple of years after that.

Thanks for the feedback.

You wont realize how good you are getting until the next noob comes along and you are able to completely control him and submit him without any problem. That is when it feels good.

I've been training for a year and 7 months....and I Still sometimes get tapped 3 times in one round.

One week is just scraping the surface. I have been doing it for 6 months and I have noticed that you improve with practice (obviously). Another good tip is to roll without submissions at first so you can just work on the positional end of things. Learning how to sweep and obtain a better position can help the submission end drastically and is the fundamental basis of grappling.

Renzo said "you have to be the nail for a very long time before you ever get to be the hammer."

nice quote bc its so true. met renzo yesterday for the second time, hes fukin hilarious. when he showed up to the academy everyone clapped and he was waved his hand like like shut up guys im not that important

I'm almost at my third month, even though I've lost 30 lbs. since January 6, I'm still a fat fuck, yet still get thrown around like a ragdoll.

Back