Newbie endurance

Guerrillastyle

White Belt
Reaction score
Wutsup all, I am new to bjj and noticed that one of thr most limiting factors for me when rolling is my endurance. I am big, I am 6'1 and 320lbs...fairly athletic but have always trained in dynamic short bursts/big strength sport specific lifting and events. My strength is obviously my strength as I usually do not get tapped by white, blue, and some purple belts but I feel that I can do so much more if I had better endurance. Any suggestions? How long did take you guys that had the same problem to get going? I am lifting circuit style about 3 days per week now and continue muay Thai 1-3 days per week as well. I have also cleaned up my diet. Thanks

you can look for conditionning work out on the website cross fit.

However, to get BJJ fit, you just need to roll more.

but I feel that I can do so much more if I had better endurance. Any suggestions?

Roy Dean's blue belt requirements discusses the importance of fuel economy vs gas tank. At first you don't know what's a threat, so you're tense/explosive all the time. Eventually you learn the points where you need to relax and the points where you need to be explosive.

You're endurance sucks because you are massively overweight.

Interval Runs for time, and Crossfit/P90x helped me.

There was a cross country kid in my old dojo, he killed every one on cardio.

double post.... almost tripple... ohhhhh... WHAT DOES IT MEANN?????

I have tried a lot of different cardio workouts and the only thing that helped with how long I could roll, is rolling.

Start running as far and as long as your body will let you and lose a hundred pounds.

for me i find rolling more and running supplement each other well and i find my endurance in both increasing noticeably.

not built like monson, more like built legs, shoulders, chest, arms with a gut. I am built thick because of all the past lifting...my numbers last year were a 585x3 bench press, 700lb. squat, 630lb. deadlift, and seated military press 315x20. so big country? no not so much...I do admit I have the guy, but not quite like most 6'1 320lbers you will run into. I am working on trying to relax during rolling without making it seem like I am stalling

Welcome to 8 Weeks Out

Get his book. Read it. You'll be better and faster, and more explosive than ever ;\

Otherwise, look into some distance running. Your aerobic base is probably saddening.

Roy Dean's blue belt requirements discusses the importance of fuel economy vs gas tank. At first you don't know what's a threat, so you're tense/explosive all the time. Eventually you learn the points where you need to relax and the points where you need to be explosive.

This.

Most Whitebelts suffer from Death Grip syndrome. Learn to break grips properly and use angles/different techniques rather than strength to break posture/advance position/get out of subs/etc.. Learn to use your whole body instead of just a body part to perform different things. I highly recommend Saulo Riberio's DVDs.

6'1 320lbs is the reason you don't have any endurance. Cut down some of that muscle/fat.

You need to roll more. Improving your cardio by itself isn't going to accomplish much if you're new to grappling. Even if you don't realize it, you're tense, using the wrong muscle groups, breathing wrong, moving wrong, etc. You said it yourself, your strength is your strength, but it's also your weakness. It's preventing you from learning proper rolling technique, which in turn negatively affects your endurance.

My advice would be to frequently ask your training partners if they feel like they are getting muscled. If they are, you're unnecessarily burning yourself out. Give it a few months. If by then you still can't make it through 15 minutes of continuous rolling and your partners aren't telling you that you're muscling, then start adding conditioning.

That should also give your body time to adjust to the stress of grappling. If you're lifting 3 days a week, doing MT 1 -3 days a week, grappling however often, AND adding cardio all at once, you're running the risk of injury.

Also, make sure you're well hydrated and eat something light (a sandwich and some fruit or something) 45 minutes to an hour before class. I'm guessing that if you have already cleaned up your diet you're already doing that though.

not built like monson, more like built legs, shoulders, chest, arms with a gut. I am built thick because of all the past lifting...my numbers last year were a 585x3 bench press, 700lb. squat, 630lb. deadlift, and seated military press 315x20. so big country? no not so much...I do admit I have the guy, but not quite like most 6'1 320lbers you will run into. I am working on trying to relax during rolling without making it seem like I am stalling

Wow those are huge numbers! A little bit of probably why you're gassing is that your heart has to pump so much blood into all those muscles you DO have. While those muscles are awesome for lifting big weights for 1-3 reps, they are not so useful when you need your muscles for prolonged activity. The amount of muscle you have on your body actually is a disadvantage for you in this sport.

As others have already stated, you will gain your endurance the more you roll. You build jiu jitsu strength, not by lifting weights, but by doing jiu jitsu! Now don't get me wrong, don't stop lifting weights! Just don't lift weights with the end goal of being a muscle man. I know my work out is probably basic for you as it seems like you've been lifting weights for years, but I just do 5x5, weighted pull ups, deadlift or squats, and flat bench 3 times a week. In and out of the gym and its enough for me to build functional strength for BJJ.

Don't give up, and keep going!!!
(I weighed 205 when I started, am now down to 168 at 10% BF).

Back