Day one:
Deadlift
Overhead press
Weighted pullup/chinup
Day two:
Squat
Benchpress
Bent over row

This is my first attempt to lift this way, as I had been a "three sets of 10" guy making little to no improvement for way too long. I have three specific questions about this split, which I hope aren't too stupid:
(1) The Bill Starr 5X5 program specifically says to perform the lists in a specific order. Does the same apply to this two-day split? I ask primarily because my gym has only one squat rack so it could become an issue if someone is already using it;
(2) My squat and dead lift are terrible, as I've never really done either lift before. Is there something in addition to just doing these lifts as part of this routine that I can or should be doing to improve these lifts? Or will following this split and focusing on just doing the lifts correctly twice per week (once each) get me the improvement I need on these lifts? I'm thinking of following this split with the 20-rep squat plan mentioned in the FAQ after May, but until then I'm only able to lift twice per week (which is why I picked this split to begin with); and
(3) I simply can't do weighted pullups. What I've been doing instead is to do sets of bodyweight pullups, which so far has looked like 5 reps, 5 reps, 4 reps, 3 reps, 3 reps, and following that with negatives. Is this a good way to improve my pullups?

Thanks for any and all help.

1) Thats the preferred order. I would try to always do deadlifts first. I don't mind doing bench before squats though. You may need to stretch out your chest in between the two lifts if you do them that way.

2) Improve mobility (mostly in the hips and ankles). Do bodyweight squats daily trying to perfect your form.

3) yes

Since I'm not sure whether you guys are being sarcastic or sincere, I'm just going to hope for the best and say thank you.

Since I'm not sure whether you guys are being sarcastic or sincere, I'm just going to hope for the best and say thank you.

I'm being sincere. You had a good first post. You can always be confident a question will be well received when you preface it with, "I was reading the FAQ sticky and I had a question regarding the following..."

There are too many threads that get started that have questions which could be easily answered by simply reading the FAQ.

Hope you stick around. Feel free to start a training log (the link is at the top of the S&P page). Most of us have one and it helps keep you on track.

(1) As others have said, deadlift should probably be first, but I bench before squat more often than not.
(2) Squat and Deadlift form will improve just by doing the lift. If you can video tape your lifts, post them here and people will critique. Don't worry if your form is awful. We will let you know and it will be much better for you in the long run (anyone that makes fun of you for getting help with shitty form is an asshole). To improve squat specifically, do bodyweight squats throughout the day (even just 2 or 3 several times per day will help). Try to hold as low as you can (without arching your back) in the squat position. This should help your squat depth.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=squat+rx&search_type=

These videos are fucking awesome for helping squat form.

(3) Your pullup situation is fine for now. The only thing I can suggest is doing more sets of 3 (5,4,3,3,3,3,3,3...) then doing negatives. You shouldn't do every exercise to failure, but it helped me to do pull ups to failure a few times as it was my last exercise. Once you can do 5x5, add weight, starting with just 5 lbs.

To improve your pullup endurance, get some volume in so instead of doing two big sets of 5 or 6 and then burning out. Do 5 or 6 sets of 4, then as many sets of 3 then as many sets of 2. Try and get at least 30 pullups in per session. Once you can knock out 5 sets of 5 with relative ease and good form, add weight. Or you could alternatively do a combination of BW pullups and 'heavy' singles with small amounts of weight.

Back