1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

*newb question* Is 105lbs way too light?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SFire, Jul 24, 2010.

1. SFire

SFire White Belt

I checked the stickies and tried searching, but either my criteria was too vague or I'm blind or whatever, but I'll get to the point;

Is 105lbs too light to consider starting training? It's not that I'm unhealthy or sick; I'm actually somewhat fit, but I am a skinny bastard. I've been making slow gains with protein powder, weights and an improved diet, but I just want opinions from guys here (if I'm posting in the right section).

As for height, I'm about 5'7, so that probably doesn't help my weight much.

Cheers :)

2. Feria

Feria Green Belt

that seems ungodly skinny..

3. phillykid215

phillykid215 White Belt

Wow and I thought I was too skinny to start training(I know I am, about 5'7 and 120lbs trying to put on weight/muscle). You could train in theory but I don't see you having any strength to be very effective. I haven't started to train yet so what do i know.

4. Grimm911

Grimm911 Shazbot!

That is very very light.. i would pack on some muscle or something.

You would get tossed around.

btw im 6'3 and 150 (im skinny too) but i seem to do ok, im just not strong.

5. Foblander

Foblander Orange Belt

no bjj is not about a person's weight man unless of course you are trying to compete. If you are trying to learn bjj then it's about learning to use leverage to fend off a bigger opponent and gravity to keep your opponent grounded. It will be harder for you since a lot of guys will have a weight advantage but stick to it and you will reap the benefits. You will come out more technical as a result of not having the weight advantage. Are you quick? Are you strong? Are you flexible? Everyone is different and we all have different bodies and abilities so we as practitioners need to find an answer to mold bjj onto us.

6. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

I used to be 120 pounds , and im average height.
    Apart from a bad immune system i got injured really quick , id be carefull with your body man.
    Do you want to gain weight? already tried?

I think if youre that much underweight , you probably get way to less of the necessary vitamins and minerals in your body, when you train you will break down even more of them , so you better compensate with eating extra when you start bjj.

7. SFire

SFire White Belt

I'm going through the process of trying to gain weight now; I used to do parkour and long distance running a little while ago, so I wasn't particularly concerned with gaining weight, although I had tried in the past (yes, I'm playing the metabolism card :p).

I'm in good physical shape, so I'm not particularly worried about that, but I'm just unsure of weather or not training now would be counter-productive to weight gain or not.

8. johnkreese

johnkreese Brown Belt

The answer is: Yes. You need to gain some weight. haha. As far as training, you can still train.

9. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

Sure, you can train.

But eat something first, during, after, while sleeping, while showering, while reading or typing....freaking eat!

10. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Try to calculate how much you'd burn by training bjj and if youre able to eat at least that amount of caloriees to compensate, imo there shouldnt be a problem, maybe you'd even gain more hunger and thus weight through muscle growth.

11. Locoplatypus

Locoplatypus White Belt

Just be careful rolling with too large opponents and don't take unnecessary risks and you should be fine. Hopefully some wrestling with sweaty dudes will let your body know to build some muscle as well. And keep eating.

12. Davii

Davii Blue Belt

You can take class and learn, work your way to blue belt.

But rolling at that weight just wont be fun. If you have a nice gym, people will always tone it down for you (so you'll never have the real experience) and if you have a more aggressive gym, you'll just get smashed all day.

GAIN weight. Sub 135 is just super tough man

13. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

It shouldn't stop you from training, but you seriously need to put on close to 20 lbs. Heck the lowest weight class in IBJFF tournies is 126.5.

Start training and also start eating non stop.

14. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

Seriously, buy the book Starting Strength like RIGHT NOW. Starting eating and doing squats and deadlifts.

15. Oh Ard

Oh Ard White Belt

I weigh 110 and i train with people with 40-60 pounds on me, maybe more, and sub them. You will have to adapt your training around the size and strength differential (triangles and other arm in chokes might be difficult because of the width of the neck and arm together paired with our shorter limbs) but this makes going to tourneys in you own division seem like nothing.

16. CosmicOsmo

CosmicOsmo Brown Belt

This, plus start drinking one whole gallon of whole milk every single day. GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) + starting strength = win. There's absolutely NO good reason for any male to be 105lbs, unless you have cancer and/or are in the 7th grade.

17. Knuckles69

Knuckles69 Purple Belt

I don't think it's too light to be training. You might one day find a limitation on your progress unless your body changes.

To put on size you not only need to increasing protein, but also calories as well as quality sleep. Also if you're lifting then the way you workout should be considered. When putting on size you should be lifting heavy reps.

When I used to lift for muscle growth I would do 3 sets of 8 for every exercise and make sure to go HEAVY. The only exception was squats where I did 5 sets of 5 at heavy weights as well.

I don't know if you restrict your own diet (vegan, vegetarian, etc) but consider upping your red meat intake at least in the short term.

18. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

you need to start working out

yeah, being small + good technique will help you beat people that don't train but don't fool yourself into thinking that 30-40 pounds of muscle wouldn't help you out

I'm 5'7 too, 180 pounds 12% body fat. I consider my weight to be very optimal for my height. any bigger and I slow down a lot, cardio issues etc. but any lighter and I lose weight for holding people down

19. joe90210

joe90210 Blue Belt

wow it's not everyday you run into a situation where the guy who weights 130 pounds has a 20lb advantage on his opponent :D

20. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

I have 135 pounds on you.

what the fuck