newb looking for a beginners training program

lazard

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if you can share any workout programs with a beginner.

I

Not only can this link answer most of your questions as a beginner, but it includes links to the different types of training programs so you can find the one that's right for you.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f14/new-f-q-including-interesting-links-497312/

QFT

Did you even bother looking in there before you created a new thread that's been created 1000 times before?? Not meaning to be a dick, but seriously. There is so much good info in this subforum that you'd have to be a fool not to take advantage of it.

QFT

Did you even bother looking in there before you created a new thread that's been created 1000 times before?? Not meaning to be a dick, but seriously. There is so much good info in this subforum that you'd have to be a fool not to take advantage of it.

There are 2-3 of almost every thread here. Get over yourself.

There are 2-3 of almost every thread here. Get over yourself.

You're right, so it's absolutely ridiculous to look for an answer to a question that's been answered a thousand times, when you can start a new thread asking to be spoon-fed the answer. Forget doing any research yourself. Then after we spoon-feed you the answer, we can come do the workouts for you since you're obviously that lazy.

Lazard, this is not directed at you, as stated before, I'm not trying to be a dick, just pointing you in the right direction.

i read the faq and am familiar with the terms and concepts but didn't really find a program in there...maybe i missed it. i'm looking for an easy little beginner program that i can just get right into for about a month before i get into a more contoured training regimen. i didn't feel like creating one from scratch.

Hmm, in that case I'd suggest checking out rosstraining.com. "Infinite Intensity" & "Never Gymless" are both wonderful sources of info & have sample 50 day programs in the back.

It's not free, but I would also suggest buying the bas workout cd's. The all-around workouts might be just what you're looking for right now. Then when you start training at a gym, you'll have the other workouts to help supplement you there. Well worth the price for sure.

^^Also an excellent idea. I have them but still haven't been able to put them to use. :(

Just hit the BJJ or boxing gym, yeah you're going to suck wind for the first couple weeks, but everyone does, even the guys who come in "thinking" they are in shape. The idea of getting in shape to get into shape is really a counter productive one because people never end up going cause they are never at that "ready to get in shape shape" cause things come up, winter will come etc. etc.

I will throw up a program that is completely arbitrary, with nothing beyond theory and personal opinion. With that said, I think it's a solid primer for fitness for combat sports.

I would join the bjj/boxing gym asap. You'll progress quickly and will be glad you gained the knowledge without wasting time.

Still, you asked for it, and you're getting it.

Assuming no access to bags or partners
--Rope work--While wearing mouthpiece (you mention MMA, so you need to get used to keeping your mouth shut and exercising)
Pace of 100+ Rotations a minute for 3 minutes
Shadowbox for 3 minutes, with movement, intensity
20 burpees, jump sprawls, or squat thrusts
20 pushups
20 leg raises
Repeat x2
If you can accomplish this, you should join a gym asap. If you can do it once, you should join asap. If you can't make it through ropework, then yeah, you'll gas before most gyms' easy warmup is over.

The workout isn't anything extreme, and it's not what I'd do to get in competition shape (not that far off either). If the average person asked me what they should do for a couple weeks before they could join a gym, this would be pretty close.

Still, this is an easy way to justify quitting before you start.

Forget all this stuff. The only thing Ali and Lee said you need is a pair of running shoes, start there. If your that out of shape just get where you can do 8minute miles at first; until you can do that you will never do all this other stuff.

If ur having problems quitting smoking, look into the laser therapy for quitting, I did this and it worked.

Also like stated above, look into Bas Rutten workout CD's. Great workout, put it on i pod and go. Since i quit smoking, I am able to do so much more.

Make sure you start off with dynamic stretching and lots of warm ups.

Do your workout.

Finish off with static strentching where you hold the muscle.

NEVER train sore muscles.

A typical begginers workout could be something with lots of ab reps, push ups, pulling, ect... and lots of running. Basic stuff.

Forget all this stuff. The only thing Ali and Lee said you need is a pair of running shoes, start there. If your that out of shape just get where you can do 8minute miles at first; until you can do that you will never do all this other stuff.

Don't listen to this.

Everyone else is giving you pretty solid advice though.

As soon as I'm sure my shoulder can handle sprawls, I may even adopt Art Vandelay's little random workout. Here's what I finished up with after weights the other day, another good quick routine to get your heart pumping & your legs burning:

1 minute jump rope @ about 140 - 150 per minute pace
10 burpees
1 minute wall sit (or electric chair as we called it in boot camp)
10 squat jumps

No rest between exercises, and no more than one minute rest between circuits. 3-5 circuits

The only thing Ali and Lee said you need is a pair of running shoes, start there.

Fedor had a great quote; he was asked what equipment you need for training and he replied "tshirt and underwear".

bas taught me how to beat up girls at the bar

As soon as I'm sure my shoulder can handle sprawls, I may even adopt Art Vandelay's little random workout. Here's what I finished up with after weights the other day, another good quick routine to get your heart pumping & your legs burning:

1 minute jump rope @ about 140 - 150 per minute pace
10 burpees
1 minute wall sit (or electric chair as we called it in boot camp)
10 squat jumps

No rest between exercises, and no more than one minute rest between circuits. 3-5 circuits

Agree 100%. For a true beginner, this is actually a great way to start. Very nice, ronin.

Back