Newb Essentials

lakergirl52

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm just starting BJJ and was wondering what kind of gear you need right away and what kind of stuff you can get by without for a couple months. Things like rash guards, athletic body care type stuff, head gear, grappling shorts, extra gi's, and the "order of importance."

I'm trying to figure out how to space this out and how to spend my money I have saved up for BJJ gear. I just ordered a Gameness Pearl Gi and have a mouth guard and thats about it.
ps. I'm a chick so I don't have a cup :icon_chee

Maybe a rash guard? T-shirts under the gi work just fine. Since your a girl, I guess a really good sports bra. I know the few girls I have rolled with try to keep their breasts mashed down out of the way.

As Dead Roman said, a good sports bra. That's what the girls that train with us think is the most important.

I wouldn't use a t-shirt under the gi....that's just my preference, but still. I'd get a micro-fiber shirt, like under armor or anything like that...something light and that breathes better and drys better than cotton.

As a pure minimum, if in addition to your gi and mouthguard, you have a good sports bra and a regular pair of shorts and some t-shirts for no-gi, you are good to go. rash guards are better, but not essential.

Some non-essentials in order of importance:

1: Rash guard
2: Extra gi (just buy a cheap Fuji, it works fine)
3: Grappling shorts

If you start getting cauli, headgear will quickly become essential.

More than 1 gi is recommended due to hang drying time and what not, at least if you want to take gi classes more than once every 2 or 3 days....

a dead stick said:
More than 1 gi is recommended due to hang drying time and what not, at least if you want to take gi classes more than once every 2 or 3 days....

Or you can find gis that will shrink to your size so that you won't have to bother with air drying. I take gi classes everyday, sometimes twice a day, but it would be impossible if I couldn't stick my one gi in the dryer.

If you're going to start in the gi I would recommend getting one of the chainmail gis. They're a bit heavier which will bump you strength and cardio and they dry really fast. Make sure you get the stainless steel versions as the copper tends to rust.

JK :D

Mouthguard, wear a mouthguard. I get a split lip atleast once a week and maybe once or twice a month I get a "Oh my god, I would have lost my fucking teeth" moment which shocks me a little

but really, people will say you don't need one, but I have lost count of how many times these people have kneed me directly in the mouth, teeth or chin which would have cost thousands of dollars worth of dentist visits if I wasn't wearing one

you can buy wrestling mouth guards which are great, very protective and you can still talk with them in

Good Mouthguard
Mouthguard Case (no a ziploc baggy won't do)
Rashguards (short sleeve under armour are my favorite)
Good Sports bras (I'm a dude but I'd imagine you don't want the twins wandering freely, analogous to how I don't want my stones moving either)

After that, I'd go with
an extra gi or 2
a pair of ear guards (Brute's Quad 3 is great for BJJ)
fight shorts if you have no-gi aspirations (Warrior Wear is my favorite).

Back