Social New York Times Stands by Editorial Board Hire Who Sent Tweets Disparaging ‘White People’

No one is allowed to make disparaging comments about other groups of people. Everyone who does it at the high level of public scrutiny faces some form of social censure.

Where some people are claiming a double standard is when they start make false equivalencies between what is being said. To create a completely fictional example - Person A runs up to a complete stranger and yells multiple racial epithets in the strangers face. Person B write a similar epithet about a different race on a tweet. It would be absurd to expect both of those scenarios to experience the same social censure.

So, when someone says "Group X is full of lazy ignorant SOBs who are incapable of adding anything of value to society," it's just insane to then equate that to anything that doesn't rise to that level.

People like to claim the double standard exists but they don't often compare the actual statements that are being censured. Or to put it in a less formal fashion...when was the last time anyone gave Louis Farrakhan a genuine platform to offer his opinions to the nation?
In your hypothetical example, I would argue that the censure for the same kinds of remarks is not applied equally. Getting back to the OP, this very real Asian woman made some terrible remarks, and while I don't think she needs to be fired for them, the NYT is clearly taking the stance that she only did it because she was being harassed. Let's flip this around a bit. If this were a white man making the exact same remarks about Asian women, do you believe that A) there would be the same contingent of people in society defending those remarks? and B) the NYT would adopt the same attitude that he was only doing it due to online harassment about his race and gender?

Louis Farrakhan doesn't get a great platform, and neither does David Duke. Good. But Al Sharpton, a man who has made a career off of race-baiting and spoken some highly controversial remarks about Jews surrounding the riot in Crown Heights, is the host of a show on MSNBC.

This thread is a roller coaster of emotion . . . it's like some of you are purposefully not understanding what others are saying. On either side of this discussion.

War room 101

My goodness.

Just admit that she's made stupid comments in the past and still has a job . . . . while others have made stupid comments in the past and lost their job.
pretty much

Why do Chinese people have more privilege than white people? And why are Jews not white people? Every Jewish person I know identifies as white.

Jews are a unique religious and ethnic peoples.

Chinese people in NA destory whites in determinants of privilege.

It's crazy that the New York Times wouldn't have somebody check her Twitter history before making a hire. Most companies do some type of social media check these days, even companies that are not as public as the NYT.

Also, the excuse that she's just mimicking her attackers is one of the worst excuses I've ever heard an adult give.

Now "liberals" are decrying the outrage-mob mentality that they were cheerleading for 5 years. There is no consistency, it all boils down to "its the right side of history when my tribe does it and literally Hitler when your tribe does it".

Her hateful tweets probably served as a resume for this new gig anyway. NYT (like pretty much all media outlets) is in the business of fomenting racial tension for clicks. So this controversy is the best thing that could have happened to them I guess. Trump is terrible and he's completely full of shit but he was right when he said that the media is the enemy of the people, even though he's right for the wrong reasons.

The irony of your post is ironic.

Coming from a political side that cries over misgendering and not recognizing 91 genders and enforcing border laws.
This post is ironic coming from ironyville.

Jews are a unique religious and ethnic peoples.

Chinese people in NA destory whites in determinants of privilege.

This didn't answer my question at all.

So you're saying Jewish people are white, they are just a specific group of white people?

And you're saying just to believe you when you say Chinese people are very privileged?

It's crazy that the New York Times wouldn't have somebody check her Twitter history before making a hire. Most companies do some type of social media check these days, even companies that are not as public as the NYT.

Also, the excuse that she's just mimicking her attackers is one of the worst excuses I've ever heard an adult give.
They did though. They said they don't care.

This didn't answer my question at all.

So you're saying Jewish people are white, they are just a specific group of white people?

And you're saying just to believe you when you say Chinese people are very privileged?

To answer your question- correct Jews are not white people.

No need to take my word re; Chinese there have been tons of posts here about it.

https://freebeacon.com/politics/new...rd-hire-sent-tweets-disparaging-white-people/

The New York Times issued a statement of support for its newly hired editorial board member who had sent numerous past tweets attacking white people, saying Thursday she was merely "imitating the rhetoric of her harassers" and regretted her actions.

Sarah Jeong was hired by the Times this week after previously writing about technology and the internet at The Verge, The Atlantic, New York Times Magazine and other publications.

Tweets she made disparaging whites soon after emerged, including writing, "white men are bulls—t," "it's kind of sick how much joy i get out of being cruel to old white men," "#CancelWhitePeople," and, "Dumbass f—king white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants."

[twitter]

==============================================================

And Leftists wonder why so many people, not just whites, think the NY Times is a piece of shit and just a biased rag made for scumbags by scumbags.

Had anyone substituted "White" for "Black", "Latino", "Pick a Leftists Protected Group", the collective media would have lost their shit. This story would have been all over CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, and CBS.

Who really are the divisive ones? Who divides people by their race, religion, ethnicity? (Answer in case you are an idiot: Leftists)

Unless there really is context that explains those tweets... and that seems unlikely... those are obnoxiously racist.

They did though. They said they don't care.

It seems like they checked afterwards, in response to the backlash, and decided it was not enough to fire her. If you decide it's not enough to fire her, you kind of have to defend her right to say it, which is what they did. That is how I interpreted it at least.

In your hypothetical example, I would argue that the censure for the same kinds of remarks is not applied equally. Getting back to the OP, this very real Asian woman made some terrible remarks, and while I don't think she needs to be fired for them, the NYT is clearly taking the stance that she only did it because she was being harassed. Let's flip this around a bit. If this were a white man making the exact same remarks about Asian women, do you believe that A) there would be the same contingent of people in society defending those remarks? and B) the NYT would adopt the same attitude that he was only doing it due to online harassment about his race and gender?

Louis Farrakhan doesn't get a great platform, and neither does David Duke. Good. But Al Sharpton, a man who has made a career off of race-baiting and spoken some highly controversial remarks about Jews surrounding the riot in Crown Heights, is the host of a show on MSNBC.

A) No, I don't think it would be the exact same contingent of people defending those remarks. But why would it be? If it was a white man making the comments about Asian women then it would be from a different context. It would be a different contingent of people defending the remarks and a different contingent of people upset with them. There's nothing unusual about that. We literally just had something similar with the baseball player Josh Hader. Different people on both sides of the conversation.

B) I think that depends on if the online harassment about his race and gender were the same.

I hadn't really gotten into this particular person's story but if she was really experiencing what the NYT said she was experiencing - I don't see where there's a double standard here at all. If people are going to call her out for her offensive statements, are they also seeking out those people who were offensive to her and calling them out? Or are they only starting their outrage with her because she's the public figure?

But this speaks to my earlier statement about false equivalencies. This is a person who alleges that she was responding to racist statements directed at her. It would be a false equivalency to compare them to a person who made racist statements without any provocation at all. I'm not claiming she's telling the truth, I wouldn't know, but if she is then it's misleading to treat her statements as if they came out of the blue. Her stuff is bad but it's not the same as some corporate exec who randomly tweets out something similar without the provocation. And so how the public responds will naturally be different.

Back