Social New York Teachers Display Noose in Classroom During Black History Month

WarDosAnjos

Socrates of Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
Another example of racism and hate crimes continuing to ramp up in this country. Two New York middle school teachers were recently fired after they had a collage labelled "back to school necklaces" displaying pictures of two nooses during black history month. They also had the hashtag #yes and "ha ha" displayed on the collage. Check out the picture, this is absolutely disgusting. They almost got away with it as well. And this was in a school with primarily black students. I think it's safe to say that racism certainly is on the rise when we have a President who defends white supremacists and teachers celebrating racial lynchings.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...fter-noose-images-displayed-classroom-n984561

There needs to be some federal statute for teachers who pull shit like this. Call it the Tarred and Feathered Compromise

It blows my mind that there’s actually people out there who think they can get away with crap like this.

Then again, I blows my mind how stupid liberals are.

I guess there’s shitty people on both sides.

It's hard to imagine why someone who is overtly racist would want to teach an almost entirely black/hispanic classroom. Looks like this was most likely an extremely stupid joke which teachers should know better making. I can't imagine why else the collage had #yes and haha on it. It was meant as a joke about not wanting to go back to school. Very poor judgment.

Trump denounced any Nazis or White supremacists. Nice like tho.

Another example of racism and hate crimes continuing to ramp up in this country. Two New York middle school teachers were recently fired after they had a collage labelled "back to school necklaces" displaying pictures of two nooses during black history month.
...and here we go again. Censorship? Freedom of speech as listed in the 1st Amendment. Yeah, that includes hate speech also. You can't have one without the other.

Similar to the concept of 'free will'. Choosing right over wrong or wrong over right. Good vs bad, and so on...

Would it not be nice if everyone said, wrote, or did the right thing? Indeed, but that is not how the world works.

It blows my mind that there’s actually people out there who think they can get away with crap like this.

You're really gonna try to "both sides" this one? That might be the dumbest and most shameless "both sides" of the year.

---

The NBC stories had no context for the display. Does anybody have details? Obviously you can't leave up that image in a collage for an extended period of time in a classroom like that, no matter the context, but was it a collage of racist imagery that was attempting to bring awareness? If so, I think firing would send the wrong message, though they would need some common sense knocked into their career paths and upside their heads. If not, if it was a malicious act, how in the hell would schoolteachers think they could get away with it?

...and here we go again. Censorship? Freedom of speech as listed in the 1st Amendment. Yeah, that includes hate speech also. You can't have one without the other.

Similar to the concept of 'free will'. Choosing right over wrong or wrong over right. Good vs bad, and so on...

Would it not be nice if everyone said, wrote, or did the right thing? Indeed, but that is not how the world works.
And you.

This was a middle school. Free speech absolutism has no place in that environment.

You're really gonna try to "both sides" this one? That might be the dumbest and most shameless "both sides" of the year.

---

The NBC stories had no context for the display. Does anybody have details? Obviously you can't leave up that image in a collage for an extended period of time in a classroom like that, no matter the context, but was it a collage of racist imagery that was attempting to bring awareness? If so, I think firing would send the wrong message, though they would need some common sense knocked into their career paths and upside their heads. If not, if it was a malicious act, how in the hell would schoolteachers think they could get away with it?

You just can’t help yourself can you??? Fucking hilarious lol.

This was a middle school. Free speech absolutism has no place in that environment.
Really? But it is ok at the University of California, Berkeley. So, at what age should this tolerance in schools start?
Why are some middle schools teaching that man was created by God and not evolution while others teach the opposite? How long should kids be kept in the dark about the world's reality? When to tell kids that Santa Claus and the Easter bunny do not exist?

I would be interested to know the results if these teachers decided to file suit against the school for being fired for this particular reason. Where exactly do you draw the line, or should you?

Another example of racism and hate crimes continuing to ramp up in this country. Two New York middle school teachers were recently fired after they had a collage labelled "back to school necklaces" displaying pictures of two nooses during black history month. They also had the hashtag #yes and "ha ha" displayed on the collage. Check out the picture, this is absolutely disgusting. They almost got away with it as well. And this was in a school with primarily black students. I think it's safe to say that racism certainly is on the rise when we have a President who defends white supremacists and teachers celebrating racial lynchings.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...fter-noose-images-displayed-classroom-n984561
The teachers don't appear to be the ones who made the collage, or if they were even aware of them personally as part of some classroom project posting.
The school district in the town of Roosevelt said in February that it took "appropriate action" against the teachers for the display of the "racially offensive images" when it was made aware of the incident.

It is unclear who made the collage or how long it was displayed in the classroom.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was another fake hate crime, and it was actually black students who created this. There is no hate crime, and without a perpetrator, there is no evidence this was hate-based at all.

There needs to be some federal statute for teachers who pull shit like this. Call it the Tarred and Feathered Compromise

It's hard to imagine why someone who is overtly racist would want to teach an almost entirely black/hispanic classroom. Looks like this was most likely an extremely stupid joke which teachers should know better making. I can't imagine why else the collage had #yes and haha on it. It was meant as a joke about not wanting to go back to school. Very poor judgment.

And you.

Let me guess...like the threadstarter, none of you actually read the (incredibly short) article.

The teachers don't appear to be the ones who made the collage, or if they were even aware of them personally as part of some classroom project posting.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was another fake hate crime, and it was actually black students who created this. There is no hate crime, and without a perpetrator, there is no evidence this was hate-based at all.
Yes, an investigation was conducted and a hearing before the board for the 3 teachers believed responsible, two were fired for it (non-tenured_, and 1 is suspended for it(tenured), but we're supposed to believe your ridiculous assumption that none of the teachers were aware of them personally, and that it was black students that posted it as a fake hate crime.

Let me guess...like the threadstarter, none of you actually read the (incredibly short) article.

I did. What did I miss?

What are you basing this on? I read the article and a few others. None had a whole lot of information but I didn't see anything to make these conclusions.

Edit: Of course it wouldn't surprise me if the articles left out a crucial piece of information. I've definitely seen that happen before.

Yes, an investigation was conducted and a hearing before the board for the 3 teachers believed responsible, two were fired for it (non-tenured_, and 1 is suspended for it(tenured), but we're supposed to believe your ridiculous assumption that none of the teachers were aware of them personally, and that it was black students that posted it as a fake hate crime.
Where are you reading this? Even following the hyperlink:
Two of the teachers have been employed by the district for two to three years and one has taught there for about 20 years, Taylor told NBC News.

The three women could be fired for "conduct unbecoming of a teacher" and possibly lose their teaching licenses, he said.

It is unclear who made the collage or how long it was displayed in the classroom.
They don't even know how long this collage was up (suggesting the students posted their own collages). It's their wall, and their students, so they are held responsible, which is appropriate, but that in itself doesn't even indicate they were aware of the images before the backlash hit. Apparently it is dividing this community of 99.6% black/hispanic students it should tip you off to the context at the ground level. It appears they aren't even certain whether it was intended as satire:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...ave-after-displaying-noose-images/2914173002/
Alfred T. Taylor, Roosevelt Union Free School District school board president, told NBC News the "racially offensive images" have divided the community.

"When you have half the community saying, 'This is an atrocity,' and then you have another half defending it saying, 'Oh, it was supposed to be a joke,' that's an easy way for something to get lost in translation," said Taylor, an African-American.

Apparently there is another comic subtext this phrase carries (I'm guessing for black students):
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/03/21/teachers-fired-over-nooses-on-school-display/
The phrase “back-to-school necklaces” is reportedly another name for a noose or is sometimes used to express the despair felt when school begins again.
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-yor...island-school-noose-photo-20190212-story.html
Community member Savitri Lekhram told News12 Long Island that “it’s probably a joke, it probably has nothing to do with African-Americans,” adding: “But at the same time, they could still draw that connection.”

Looks to me like you jumped to a conclusion due to a frothing confirmation bias. You're rabid. You and your ilk are rabid. We barely know anything from the OP.

Where are you reading this? Even following the hyperlink:

They don't even know how long this collage was up (suggesting the students posted their own collages). It's their wall, and their students, so they are held responsible, which is appropriate, but that in itself doesn't even indicate they were aware of the images before the backlash hit. Apparently it is dividing this community of 99.6% black/hispanic students it should tip you off to the context at the ground level. It appears they aren't even certain whether it was intended as satire:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...ave-after-displaying-noose-images/2914173002/

Apparently there is another comic subtext this phrase carries (I'm guessing for black students):
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/03/21/teachers-fired-over-nooses-on-school-display/

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-yor...island-school-noose-photo-20190212-story.html

Looks to me like you jumped to a conclusion due to a frothing confirmation bias. You're rabid. You and your ilk are rabid. We barely know anything from the OP.

ROOSEVELT, N.Y. — Two teachers at a middle school on Long Island, New York, where an image of a pair of nooses labeled "back to school necklaces" were displayed in a classroom have been fired.

The Roosevelt Union Free School District school board voted 4-0 on Tuesday night to fire two certified staff.

A third teacher, who is tenured, was suspended with pay on Tuesday pending a hearing for her alleged involvement in the display, the school board president told NBC News. She was previously on administrative leave.

lol What the fuck does "Back to school necklaces" have to do with going "back to school" in February? Christmas Break is over in January. Spring Break happens in March/April so you're not going "back to school" from that. Summer break? Nah, definitely not going back to school for that.

The sickening thing is your need to defend obvious racism and claim it was perpetrated by the students with 0 evidence to back up that suggestion. You claiming the teachers knew nothing of it is absolutely retarded considering the teachers images are in the collage.....But I'm guessing you believe that black students are likely making racist images with the pictures of these 3 white women in them and these white women don't even notice their faces in a collage with racist imagery.

lol What the fuck does "Back to school necklaces" have to do with going "back to school" in February? Christmas Break is over in January. Spring Break happens in March/April so you're not going "back to school" from that. Summer break? Nah, definitely not going back to school for that.

The sickening thing is your need to defend obvious racism and claim it was perpetrated by the students with 0 evidence to back up that suggestion. You claiming the teachers knew nothing of it is absolutely retarded considering the teachers images are in the collage.....But I'm guessing you believe that black students are likely making racist images with the pictures of these 3 white women in them and these white women don't even notice their faces in a collage with racist imagery.
What does an image labeled "back to school necklaces" have to do with going back to school? Did you seriously just ask that? It's in the urban dictionary:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Back to school necklace
Back to school necklacecollege
A back to school necklace is another name for a noose. This is due to the utter despair you feel when school starts back up again
I didn't defend "obvious racism". I pointed out the OP misrepresented the story to indicate the teachers made these images when the school itself avows they don't know who made it, and-- wait for it-- don't know how long it was up. If you were a bit brighter, knowing the image was photographed on February 8th, you'd realize that tidbit suggests it may have been up since right after the school reconvened after winter break. We weren't given a date for the collage project.

So, no, the sickening thing is that you perceive yourself as not being the racist.

What does an image labeled "back to school necklaces" have to do with going back to school? Did you seriously just ask that? It's in the urban dictionary:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Back to school necklace

I didn't defend "obvious racism". I pointed out the OP misrepresented the story to indicate the teachers made these images when the school itself avows they don't know who made it, and-- wait for it-- don't know how long it was up. If you were a bit brighter, knowing the image was photographed on February 8th, you'd realize that tidbit suggests it may have been up since right after the school reconvened after winter break. We weren't given a date for the collage project.

So, no, the sickening thing is that you perceive yourself as not being the racist.

lol Did you intentionally cut off IN FEBRUARY from that quote to make your ridiculous point?

No, you defended obvious racism, bruh. You go and defend teachers that are in a collage with racist imagery and claim they aren't racists for that. Who said it was a project that students did, that was an assumption you made without anything to back that up. Much like your suggestion that it's a fake hate crime that was done by black students. I'm sure black students would be working diligently throughout their Winter Break to come back and make a "back to school" collage for that purpose though right, Mick?

How does me thinking teachers are racist for being in pictures with racist imagery, allowing said imagery to remain in the classroom, and getting fired for that same photo make me a racist, Mick? What race am I supposedly discriminating against, Mick? Seems like the best that you would have is me being against an act committed by these people, and not anything against the race of these people.

lol Did you intentionally cut off IN FEBRUARY from that quote to make your ridiculous point?
"February" is literally in the quote box in your post. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The pastor who reported it said it had been up for months. It may actually go back to the return from Summer break for all we know.
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/noose-back-to-school-collage/
“I got this disturbing information on Saturday,” he told the Daily Dot. “Then, to add insult to injury, I learned that it had been hanging up for several months in one of the teacher’s classroom. That truly crossed the line.”

Everyone just got to witness what an idiot you are when you try to play Sherlock Holmes. That's what I love about these sorts of exchanges. Google can't help you with deductive reasoning like this. The slow-witted can't hide behind a computer.
No, you defended obvious racism, bruh. You go and defend teachers that are in a collage with racist imagery and claim they aren't racists for that. Who said it was a project that students did, that was an assumption you made without anything to back that up. Much like your suggestion that it's a fake hate crime that was done by black students. I'm sure black students would be working diligently throughout their Winter Break to come back and make a "back to school" collage for that purpose though right, Mick?

How does me thinking teachers are racist for being in pictures with racist imagery, allowing said imagery to remain in the classroom, and getting fired for that same photo make me a racist, Mick? What race am I supposedly discriminating against, Mick? Seems like the best that you would have is me being against an act committed by these people, and not anything against the race of these people.
I have assumed nothing. You are the one who has assumed the teachers created the image when the school itself stated to the press they didn't know who created it. The buck for that classroom wall stops with them, but that in itself doesn't indicate they knew about it, much less created it, but given what the pastor said about them sharing the image on Facebook, the most obvious conclusion we can draw is that they viewed it quite innocently through the same prism as the students, who all certainly would have been aware of it as well, defined in the Urban Dictionary entry I just supplied to you.

rooseveltmiddleschool.jpg

I wouldn't defend anything like this if it came from a place of genuine, malicious, racist intent, but any teacher who works at a school like this would know putting up something like that would be the end of their teaching career. It casts serious doubt on the assumption that any teacher would willingly allow this because it would be career suicide when the principal himself is black, and nearly 100% of the student body is nonwhite (~45% black).

The only person assuming to know intent and creator is you. You're the bigot. You're the one who flies off the handle with prejudicial assumptions.

“Back to school noose” is slang for how much it sucks to go back to school. This seems like a very bad attempt at humor, not a racist attack or hate crime. But if it was created by a teacher, I’d have to agree that the teacher should be suspended. It just shows terrible judgement.

Back