New York Found a Way To Charge People for Looking at the Night Sky

Greatest country on earth. Capitalism the best. Profit good.

Just another way to squeeze more money out of people. Fuckin assholes.

Hopefully it is not wishful thinking that the extra revenue "generated" will all go into the Park...
You sound poor
<{poor?}>

if the parks dont close at night, the homeless will just move in and live there.

so while you're outraged because the fake media you choose to read told you to be outraged, there's actual practical reasons for why we do things sometimes.

LMAO @ looking at the night sky in NYC.That place is so light polluted youre lucky to see a dozen stars.

So you have to pay cash to walk through or sit in a park? Madness.

Seems silly on the face but I do have a question: Prior to this permit, were people allowed unfettered access to the parks for this purpose? Or are they now opening the parks at night specifically to allow this purpose?

If they're now adding a permit to something that was previously free, I think it's a bad idea. However, if they're offering a new after hours opportunity then a fee seems reasonable to partially defray the cost of maintenance.

Re-reading - is this for the parking or for the stargazing itself?

Okay, I've looked a little more.

Most of the parks on that list close at sunset. So this permit grants access after sunset for the stargazing purpose. I can't find a problem with it then. There's a cost associated here, probably at the minimum a security guard and possibly an insurance hit since it's late night hours.

*Adjusts big black framed glasses (Sniffles and wipes nose)

"they're charging for nighttime recreational use of parks. Not exactly a new concept"
omg this is rich.

Thank you for that.

If you don't think the public should be charged for nighttime recreational use of city parks, that could be a point of view worth considering. That's doesn't make for a very compelling Facebook-style sensationalist headline, though.

Haha... Recreational use = "Parking to Look at Stars" - $60 for non-residents... the fuck?

Ah no... it's shouldn't cost anyone $60 to visit a City Park to look at stars... lol

Well there are costs associated with keeping a park open, obviously.

Charging users is the conservative, capitalist option. The other option is taking it out of taxes, and somehow I doubt most of the detractors here like that option better.

Seems better to only charge the people who are using the park than the entire populace, right?

Haha... Recreational use = "Parking to Look at Stars" - $60 for non-residents... the fuck?

Ah no... it's shouldn't cost anyone $60 to visit a City Park to look at stars... lol
Probably more to non-residents because residents already pay for park upkeep through their taxes. The additional late night maintenance costs should fall on the end users and giving a discount to NYS residents is fair.

It's from a "Daily Caller" affiliated web-rag. What an embarrassing place to get your news. Good times lol.

Could you imagine being the chump that believed the Steele dossier was credible?

So it was against the law to be in the parks at night before this?

And now with this special permit you can be there?

It’s still sounds like bull shit to me.
Does the permit also come with body guards for protection or is a mugging/raping part of the experience

Edit soon to be coming to the province of Ontario

So prior to this.. could u be there legally and stargaze?
Or was the park closed?

If it was open before, this is just govt shakedown of money...

However, if the park was closed and will now be open, good idea.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with this. A lot of parks close at dusk and will chase people off. This contribute to the state and allows people to be there and take photos and look at the stars without having to worry about being chased off.

Most of you would not understand the frustration of being 20 minutes into a long exposure photo of the Crab Nebula only to have some “park ranger” making $9.00 an hour come and chase you off.

You sound poor
<{poor?}>

How original.

Here's another not-so-original: A fool and his money are soon parted."

If the extra revenue goes directly back into the Park, I can understand it. Not much of an issue.

Back