New York Found a Way To Charge People for Looking at the Night Sky

oldshadow

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
New York has discovered a way to charge people for looking at the night sky, and it looks like the state is taking full advantage of the new discovery.

The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation is now offering a stargazing permit for those wanting to observe the night sky in a number of parks throughout the Empire State.”

So how long before they find a way to tax people to breathe? What the hell is going on up there.

https://www.westernjournal.com/new-york-found-way-charge-people-looking-night-sky/

Edit: added link

Last edited:
“I wasn’t up here to stargaze officer I came up here to get a handjob. Thank god you’re finally here”

Last edited:
AOC checked the state's bank balance and realized they didn't actually gain $3 billion dollars from Amazon not moving there and had to think of something. Checkmate, atheists.

They're not charging people just for looking at stars, they're charging for nighttime recreational use of parks. Not exactly a new concept.

They're not charging people just for looking at stars, they're charging for nighttime recreational use of parks. Not exactly a new concept.

Way to be the wet blanket in a good ol outrage wank thread

Way to be the wet blanket in a good ol outrage wank thread
It's from a "Daily Caller" affiliated web-rag. What an embarrassing place to get your news. Good times lol.

So it was against the law to be in the parks at night before this?

And now with this special permit you can be there?

It’s still sounds like bull shit to me.

It's from a "Daily Caller" affiliated web-rag. What an embarrassing place to get your news. Good times lol.

So it’s not true they are not doing this?

If you don't think the public should be charged for nighttime recreational use of city parks, that could be a point of view worth considering. That's doesn't make for a very compelling Facebook-style sensationalist headline, though.

*Adjusts big black framed glasses (Sniffles and wipes nose)

"they're charging for nighttime recreational use of parks. Not exactly a new concept"

New York has discovered a way to charge people for looking at the night sky, and it looks like the state is taking full advantage of the new discovery.

The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation is now offering a stargazing permit for those wanting to observe the night sky in a number of parks throughout the Empire State.”

So how long before they find a way to tax people to breathe? What the hell is going on up there.

https://www.westernjournal.com/new-york-found-way-charge-people-looking-night-sky/

Edit: added link
you just want to be mad about something dont you.

Old news, the permit has been in existence since three years ago and exclusively for Long Island, not the whole state.

they better provide security if charges to stay

"they're charging for nighttime recreational use of parks. Not exactly a new concept"
*adjusts fedora (wipes cheetos dust off fingers)

“*Adjusts big black framed glasses (Sniffls and wipes nose)”

So it’s not true they are not doing this?

no its not. What your paying for isn't just to look at the skies, its for parking past 6. This is just right wing outrage nonsense over nothing.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/new-york-stargazing-permit/

Red State’s report followed a Jan. 24 post on the libertarian website Free Thought Project.

The core claim in those reports — that New York state required a specially designated stargazing permit for certain public parks — was accurate. In December 2019, the New York state agency for Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation published the details of the 2020 stargazing permit, which allowed “after sunset parking for stargazing only” at six designated state parks on Long Island, New York:

STARGAZING PERMIT

$35 NYS resident fee / $60 non-NYS resident fee

Valid Motor Vehicle Registration required.
Driver’s License of Motor Vehicle Registrant required for NYS residents.

This permit allows after sunset parking for stargazing only at the following parks:
▪ Hither Hills: Except July & August
▪ Jones Beach: West End 2 and Field 6
▪ Montauk Point: Upper Parking Lot
▪ Robert Moses: Field 2
▪ Sunken Meadow: Fields 1 & 3
▪ Wildwood: Main Parking Lot

looking at the sky from my backyard.

edit: I just got a notification that my credit card got charged WTF

*adjusts fedora (wipes cheetos dust off fingers)

“*Adjusts big black framed glasses (Sniffls and wipes nose)”

**unzips**

full

I live near the beach and they don't want ANYBODY on the beach after sunset, so I can imagine that costs for the permits relates to having extra security / staff around during those night hours. Here's the pricing fee indicated in the source. Note it lists a few parks, parking lots, and a beach.

STARGAZING PERMIT Requirements: Fee of $35.00, $60-Out of State – Vehicle Registration and Driver’s License Required Permit allows after sunset parking for stargazing only, valid January 1 - December 31 at: Hither Hills - Except July & August Jones Beach - West End 2 and Field 6 Montauk Point – Upper Parking Lot Robert Moses - Field 2 Gov. Alfred E. Smith/Sunken Meadow - Field 1 & Field 3 Wildwood – Main Parking Lot Sold at: Babylon Headquarters-Permit Office (beginning January 2nd), Jones Beach, Montauk Downs, Robert Moses, Governor Alfred E. Smith/Sunken Meadow and Wildwood Stargazing Permits are only sold January 1 – March 31 and the Tuesday after Labor Day - December 31.

Looks like $35 for the year to cover incidentals involved with having more people around. While I see the idea of "paying to see the stars" it's really just the cost associated with having people around after normal hours. Light pollution in cities makes it difficult to see stars so people need to go out to places such as this to see anything. Just kind of 1st world problems but I have no issue with them asking for a small fee in this instance.

Just another way to squeeze more money out of people. Fuckin assholes.

Hopefully it is not wishful thinking that the extra revenue "generated" will all go into the Park...

Back