Crime New York City first to send Social Workers as first responders on some 911 calls

Once the thugs realize that social workers have wallets and jewellery, the social workers will become a victim delivery program...

How long before they are on a call, shit goes sideways and a social worker is hurt badly or killed, and the cops are blamed for not protecting said social worker?

I was expecting social workers to accompany police.

Social worker gets hurt: blame the police

Subject of call gets injured: blame the police.

No matter what your position is on any of these issues, can we agree that body cams are an absolute must?

Lol you moron they would send armed police to a call like that, are you slow?

I just notice you user name if you Change the last leter "D" to "M" it would read Sad Dam"

images

Reactions: lsa
Has there been any law drafted that gives socialworkers authority in these situations?

I think that might be necessary. Or perhaps the police attachment gains entry and then they let the socialworkers in to do their job?

If called out for a domestic, or mental health episode, what is to stop a homeowner from refusing entry to a socialworker?

My wife is a social worker that has spent a lot of time doing exactly this job. The police simply aren't trained to manage mental health crises, and they can't get properly trained without years of specific training/education. What's more... they know it. The cops my wife has worked with are big, big fans of having this kind of support. This weird, cynical gloating that goes on over the idea of social workers being hurt just grosses me out. Mental health crisis responders are not at odds with law enforcement; they are on the same team.

I was the first one who posed the question "what if" they get hurt. I know you may not be responding directly to me, but I still want to clarify that I'm damn sure not rooting for it to happen. And I'd imagine if it's done VERY selectively and with very stringent protocols that it could have success (a social worker accompanying police on targeted calls).

My point was more that our culture right now villifies police more than at any time in our country's history. So to think that those who are about defunding and defanging the police wouldn't jump all over the opportunity to shit on them IF a social worker was to be hurt or killed is incredibly naive.

If there is a 911 call for someone threatening to jump off a bridge, or harm themselves, I am all for this. I’m sure there are bootlickers that will think this means home invasion in progress, send a social worker.

Cool. If I am bad guy and I know that I can get myself a hostage or extra body with a social worker I’m hamming it up.

If there is a 911 call for someone threatening to jump off a bridge, or harm themselves, I am all for this. I’m sure there are bootlickers that will think this means home invasion in progress, send a social worker.

No dum dum, the concern is with someone like Walter Wallace who was clearly having a mental breakdown and was unstable that a social worker would accompany police and be harmed.

Nobody thinks they're gonna send one one to stop a jewelry store robbery LMFAO.

No dum dum, the concern is with someone like Walter Wallace who was clearly having a mental breakdown and was unstable that a social worker would accompany police and be harmed.

Nobody thinks they're gonna send one one to stop a jewelry store robbery LMFAO
Yeah. Okay. Read some of the responses. Even the one right above yours.

Yeah. Okay. Read some of the responses. Even the one right above yours.

I'm pretty sure that was a flippant, toungue-in-cheek reply.

Regardless, there are actual concerns for which calls they'd be sent on, protocols, etc. Doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad idea in every single scenario, but as I addressed earlier it would take exactly ONE incident of a social worker being hurt or killed for the "Defund the police" crowd to be foaming at the mouth.

Who determines if a "perp" is armed/violent? What happens if/when that goes sideways? How far is backup away? How will that affect bystanders/public? How will this be coordinated, what will the increase in response times be? So much...
Good thing taxes are getting raised because that sounds expensive

Expect urban domestic violence to get worse and suburban/upperclass domestic violence to nearly disappear.

Then they'll turn around and call social workers racists because of the skewed outcome.

It's a step in the right direction. Pretty much everyone realizes that cops aren't trained to handle mental health issues. And pretty much everyone acknowledges that mental health issues shouldn't be treated like crimes.

So use the right tool for the job.

Of course, some people don't care about doing things right, they simply reject any attempt at trying something new. Hopefully there are such people are the statistical minority so that we can continue to improve our society.

My wife is a social worker that has spent a lot of time doing exactly this job. The police simply aren't trained to manage mental health crises, and they can't get properly trained without years of specific training/education. What's more... they know it. The cops my wife has worked with are big, big fans of having this kind of support. This weird, cynical gloating that goes on over the idea of social workers being hurt just grosses me out. Mental health crisis responders are not at odds with law enforcement; they are on the same team.

I agree with you entirely, and I don’t understand the weird troll responses at all. Mocking the idea of using social workers to assist police has become a right wing meme, even though it’s actually already occurring in many ways and can be highly effective.

It's a step in the right direction. Pretty much everyone realizes that cops aren't trained to handle mental health issues. And pretty much everyone acknowledges that mental health issues shouldn't be treated like crimes.

So use the right tool for the job.

Of course, some people don't care about doing things right, they simply reject any attempt at trying something new. Hopefully there are such people are the statistical minority so that we can continue to improve our society.

Or they could fund better training for all officers and create a mental health squad that has social workers respond to the calls with them. But then that would require more funding and that is not allowed in Bloomberg’s city. Sending only social workers is not the correct call in this case as we have seen too many mental health calls that are violent

Someone dies in the first month of this program guaranteed.

Back