Crime New York City first to send Social Workers as first responders on some 911 calls

Could’ve been worse

Imagine his daughter?

IMG_20200602_0916492.jpg
Speaking of people who need social workers

I know what they are sending these social workers after. They also implanted a change in a city in the Bay Area that police will no longer be doing basic traffic stops, social workers will do those to decrease potential of racial profiling and escalating situations.

Now let’s see how long it takes before one of these routine situations goes bad. I lived in Sacramento when a routine traffic stop ended with a meth head on his way to commit a murder for hire blew the officers head off The second he asked for ID. Like someone already said, i hope there’s cameras so we can see how this goes.

This is not an argument against the legitimacy of a program. Of course things will inevitably go bad from time to time. Have things never gone wrong when police officers were involved???

This is a societal harm reduction strategy; a worthwhile effort even if things dont go perfectly. NEWS FLASH - they arent going perfectly right now.

You guys are imagining it will be some short fat middle aged lady with a clipboard but I think these are just more more specialized EMS workers going in first, when they may have been doing that anyways. If it is risk of a weapon or violence they arrive with the police. I don't see the big problem here letting them try it out. I would not expect some huge change in outcomes one way or the other tbh. It could free up police to do more actual policing.

Imagine calling the police for protection and they send a social worker......they should probably set up another hotline.

So again, who is, or what are the criteria for deciding who is and who isn't violent/armed? What happens when that goes sideways? It's easy to say all that other stuff.

Its going to go sideways sometimes, as it already does now. This is an effort to prevent unnecessary escalation, unnecessary incarceration and unnecessary death; it is long overdue.

You do know that the 'land of the free' has only 5% of the worlds population, but houses 25% of the worlds inmates, right?

Its going to go sideways sometimes, as it already does now. This is an effort to prevent unnecessary escalation, unnecessary incarceration and unnecessary death; it is long overdue.

You do know that the 'land of the free' has only 5% of the worlds population, but houses 25% of the worlds inmates, right?
Well, no shit that's the intent.

This is a good thing.
Done properly it could be. But I don't see it as an either/or approach.

Toronto used to have a program where the busier divisions would have a duty Sgt ride with a crisis intervention nurse. The nurse was able to respond to EDP calls and talk them down. Sgt was there to make sure she didn't get stabbed in the neck.

It's for some 911 calls, not all of them. Obviously, armed robberies won't be one of the types of calls in the category of a social worker dispatch, dumbass.

If it's a case where an autistic kid is threatening violence because he has separation anxiety (actual case from a few months ago where a child was shot by police), it makes plenty sense to send in a trained social worker before calling in the executioners.
This, exactly. There's jobs like that over here too. Deescalation in places with disabled people etc.

Of course these people can't objectively look at something, they resort to misrepresentations and exaggerations and they wear the smuggest smile possible while doing so.

Imagine calling the police for protection and they send a social worker......they should probably set up another hotline.

There's an idea. Set up a different number or something and let the person calling decide if they want police or a social worker, would be interesting to see the results

Wouldn't it just be better to train police to be less shooty and more conversational?
Like having a dedicated unit to that? They are police but they only or primarily take three the of calls? And are trained in them?
And obviously have blow dart guns. I mean seriously

My wife's a social worker , you'd be suprised how good they are at talking people outta crisis instead of just having the cops escalate it . With that said, she still calls the cops daily at the day centre she works at lol it's unavoidable and while this idea sounds cute and progressive it'll be a disaster
Problem with the left is that their way of doing things is usually so badly things out tat it becomes worse. Good intentions are not a foundation

Back