Crime New York City first to send Social Workers as first responders on some 911 calls

This will be hilarious

Wouldn't it just be better to train police to be less shooty and more conversational?

Police are there for defense from vandalism, theft and violence; that requires a different set of skills. Police can't go get masters degrees over night or have the time for the training for social work or dealing with people with mental health problems.

If we actually have professionals to handle these situations, it will free up the police to keep the community safer from actual criminals.

Once we legalize drugs, the police's sole purpose will be to stop crime.

No more of them harassing teens over a joint; no more them being put in situations they are not qualified to handle with the mentally ill.

Just straight crime prevention and investigation; it will be the most efficient police force ever; and no more wasting tax money putting non-criminals in jail.

Last edited:
This is exactly what is going to happen.

People don't realize just how difficult being a police officer is.
The people that crticize the most and nitpick b/c things are imperfect are rarely doers themselves. I see a grand opportunity for all these people calling for this to step up and fill those shoes. Time will tell. Ultimately I hope I'm wrong, but my experience with human nature tells me otherwise.

It’s not a matter of if but when things go south. My guess is that these social workers will allow criminals to walk vs getting into an altercation and thus it will largely go unreported in news since there’s no headline. Just criminals walking free once they realize the person sent to them is unarmed

It’s not a matter of if but when things go south. My guess is that these social workers will allow criminals to walk vs getting into an altercation and thus it will largely go unreported in news since there’s no headline. Just criminals walking free once they realize the person sent to them is unarmed

They are not sending social workers after criminals; that is what the police are for. They are sending social workers to deal with people who arent harming anyone else; people who dont need to be arrested.

How often do police end up having to deal with non-violent domestic disputes or people calling the police on a homeless person for the person loitering. Sending social workers in scenarios like this lets the police focus on dealing with people who are actually causing harm and need to be arrested.

It will save a ton of tax money. It costs way too much to keep people in jail, which is especially infuriating when a lot of the people in jail would be better served with some counseling, rehab, or access to reasonable public services.

This is exactly what is going to happen.

People don't realize just how difficult being a police officer is.

You might be surprised that trained professional in mental health can do compared to a police officers that up hold the LAW .

They are not sending social workers after criminals; that is what the police are for. They are sending social workers to deal with people who arent harming anyone else; people who dont need to be arrested.

How often do police end up having to deal with non-violent domestic disputes or people calling the police on a homeless person for the person loitering. Sending social workers in scenarios like this lets the police focus on dealing with people who are actually causing harm and need to be arrested.

It will save a ton of tax money. It costs way too much to keep people in jail, which is especially infuriating when a lot of the people in jail would be better served with some counseling, rehab, or access to reasonable public services.
So again, who is, or what are the criteria for deciding who is and who isn't violent/armed? What happens when that goes sideways? It's easy to say all that other stuff.

This logic implies having a crystal ball that knows which direction an altercation will go in. When a call is made to the police, there's very little information to go on. You don't know the person's name, their criminal history, whether they have a serious mental illness, whether they're high on drugs, if they've been violent before. You know absolutely nothing. If a suspect is calm at the moment of the police call, there's no guarantee he'll remain that way when people show up. You're just blindly rolling the dice and hoping you're sending the clueless social workers at the correct places.

Well this experiment should end up going hilariously/tragically wrong.

Social work in NYC just got added to the list.
iu

So again, who decides who is and isn't violent and are or are not armed? What happens when that goes sideways?

The person who places the call gives the details they observe. Kinda how it is now.

However, police will be able to have a stronger network of communication with local social workers who will have direct experience with the community and will be better trained at de-escalation and have stronger relationships with the people on the ground.

This is a win-win. It ensures more compassionate measures are tried before just locking people up.

Of course there are going to be situations where things go wrong; generally speaking, people entering fields of study understand the risks of their jobs. Social workers going into this field are going to be the type who are willing to risk personal safety for the good of the community; much like police officers, but with a different approach for different circumstances.

I know what they are sending these social workers after. They also implanted a change in a city in the Bay Area that police will no longer be doing basic traffic stops, social workers will do those to decrease potential of racial profiling and escalating situations.

Now let’s see how long it takes before one of these routine situations goes bad. I lived in Sacramento when a routine traffic stop ended with a meth head on his way to commit a murder for hire blew the officers head off The second he asked for ID. Like someone already said, i hope there’s cameras so we can see how this goes.

The person who places the call gives the details they observe. Kinda how it is now.

However, police will be able to have a stronger network of communication with local social workers who will have direct experience with the community and will be better trained at de-escalation and have stronger relationships with the people on the ground.

This is a win-win. It ensures more compassionate measures are tried before just locking people up.

Of course there are going to be situations where things go wrong; generally speaking, people entering fields of study understand the risks of their jobs. Social workers going into this field are going to be the type who are willing to risk personal safety for the good of the community; much like police officers, but with a different approach for different circumstances.
Lot's of big holes in that, time will tell I guess.

Let's see them stop a bank robbery

It's for some 911 calls, not all of them. Obviously, armed robberies won't be one of the types of calls in the category of a social worker dispatch, dumbass.

If it's a case where an autistic kid is threatening violence because he has separation anxiety (actual case from a few months ago where a child was shot by police), it makes plenty sense to send in a trained social worker before calling in the executioners.

It's for some 911 calls, not all of them. Obviously, armed robberies won't be one of the types of calls in the category of a social worker dispatch, dumbass.

If it's a case where an autistic kid is threatening violence because he has separation anxiety (actual case from a few months ago where a child was shot by police), it makes plenty sense to send in a trained social worker before calling in the executioners.
I’ve seen recent videos In my own county where calls were made for mental issues and police arrive and literally run from the knife weilding person trying to commit suicide by cop. The cops retreated until they were left with no other option but to live or die. Let’s hope these social workers are lucky enough to never run into one of those situations

Back