New Winning FG-5000 vs FG-2900 (new versions vs old versions)

Completely agree, IMHO Top Tens are great for sparring. They're compact and have great padding.

I'm surprised you don't like them for the bag. I use 10oz Top Tens on the bag and I really like them. Initially I noticed this weird bounce when I punched, like my gloves were spring loaded. Once I got over that, I found them to be more protective (no hand soreness and less body fatigue from jarring) than say a 16oz Ring To Cage MiM Training glove.

Just an FYI though, you're not buying these gloves for the fit and finish, they're nowhere near as nice as say a Fairtex glove. You're buying it for the Bayfill foam. If any glove were about function over form, this would be it.

It is all about the padding of the headgear/gloves - the amortization it provides. If both (your partner gloves and your headgear) have Winning foam the protection for your head is the highest you can obtain. However if the sparring partner uses old 16 oz. Hayabusa it's way tougher for your head...
Imho anybody who doesn't own Winning gloves and takes care of his/her sparring partner health should put some money together and buy Top Ten gloves. They pretty suck on bag, but are excellent for sparring and are quite durable if used purely for sparring. It's the HEAD in the end.

Last edited:
Completely agree, IMHO Top Tens are great for sparring. They're compact and have great padding.

I'm surprised you don't like them for the bag. I use 10oz Top Tens on the bag and I really like them. Initially I noticed this weird bounce when I punched, like my gloves were spring loaded. Once I got over that, I found them to be more protective (no hand soreness and less body fatigue from jarring) than say a 16oz Ring To Cage MiM Training glove.

Just an FYI though, you're not buying these gloves for the fit and finish, they're nowhere near as nice as say a Fairtex glove. You're buying it for the Bayfill foam. If any glove were about function over form, this would be it.

Agree with every word. Actually I like them on bag. 10-12 oz. superfight 3000 are excellent for this purpose. I even liked the fit of my 10 oz. - I like the classic shape and the suede inside them. And of course the foam is amazing, I love it. The only thing I really do not like about them is their low durability on bag. However overall because of the foam they are my second favourite gloves after Winning. Especially if one gets them in some discount.

Imho anybody who doesn't own Winning gloves and takes care of his/her sparring partner health

You heard it here first, folks: If you do not own Winning gloves, you are reckless and irresponsible.

Way to take a quote out of context there guy, you missed the second (more important) half of the quote, which was:

should put some money together and buy Top Ten gloves

Meaning- there's plenty of great safe gloves out there that aren't Winning.

Ringside IMF, Ring To Cage MiM, Gorilla Fight Gear Apeman gloves, Top Ten, Title, Reyes etc. Obviously Grant make superb boxing equipment as well.

I think the point is, the most important thing to look for in a sparring glove is safety (at least to some extent) so you can spar harder and longer and ultimately spend more time improving your skills.

A pair of 16's in good condition is the standard at just about every reputable gym I've ever trained at over the years.

I think the point is, the most important thing to look for in a sparring glove is safety (at least to some extent) so you can spar harder and longer and ultimately spend more time improving your skills.

A pair of 16's in good condition is the standard at just about every reputable gym I've ever trained at over the years.

Vox dei. 150% agree. The 3 most important things about gear are for me: 1) safety, 2) safety and in the end 3) safety :) If the fit is more or less good I always take care about the safety only. There is a plenty of gloves (and all other gear) I like for some reason - either fit or look or both, but because they are not excellent in terms of safety I will never buy them. Damaging anybody's brain is not the goal of practicing martial arts...
Absolutely everybody (even if it requires a bit of saving) can afford some top notch safety gloves like Top Ten or IMF. They are a must.

Way to take a quote out of context there guy, you missed the second (more important) half of the quote, which was:

Meaning- there's plenty of great safe gloves out there that aren't Winning.

Ringside IMF, Ring To Cage MiM, Gorilla Fight Gear Apeman gloves, Top Ten, Title, Reyes etc. Obviously Grant make superb boxing equipment as well.

I didn't take anything out of context, and I didn't miss anything. He went a little too far with his infatuation with all things Winning, and I simply pointed it out.

Although I wrote my comment in jest, perhaps I did take advantage of his difficulty with English, which is my first language, and obviously not his. Even so, he doesn't need you to put words (and brands) into his mouth. He's a big boy.

Although I wrote my comment in jest, perhaps I did take advantage of his difficulty with English, which is my first language, and obviously not his. Even so, he doesn't need you to put words (and brands) into his mouth. He's a big boy.

Meh. The dude likes Winning gear (and lots of other brands). So do a lot of people in the G&E forum. No big deal.

Last edited:
I didn't take anything out of context, and I didn't miss anything.
Well, I speak two languages I can easily call "my first", but of course English is not among them. Anybody knows it. Actually in terms of the level of knowledge it's my 5th language...
However... There was no dot after the part you quatted, was there? Cutting a sentence to damage its meaning is out of context in any language. Cutting something in the middle and adding ellipsis after it is typical for most of the European languages in case when the rest of the sentence is not important for the overall meaning. Which was obviously not this case.
In your case it was obviously rather an exemple of demagogic misinterpretation technique than "taking an advantage of my diffculties with English". Big boys don't usually do that. So you rather missed the point of what I was saying all the time than pointing at anything at all. All I was saying are obvious things: 1) Winning gear is the safest, 2) you can hardly compare it in terms of safety with Grant (especially because Grant gloves have more or less the same kind of padding as all other Mexican brands - latex), though Grant is nice too , 3) (and this is purely my personal opinion) when choosing a pair of gloves you should choose safety, not design, leather etc. because you are responsible for health of your sparring partner too. That's all.
So whatever you were pointing at you totally missed the point.
Blair just put my previous words back to the sentence you deliberately castrated, not any new words into my mouth.

Last edited:
Well, I speak two languages I can easily call "my first", but of course English is not among them. Anybody knows it. Actually in terms of the level of knowledge it's my 5th language...
However... There was no dot after the part you quatted, was there? Cutting a sentence to damage its meaning is out of context in any language. Cutting something in the middle and adding ellipsis after it is typical for most of the European languages in case when the rest of the sentence is not important for the overall meaning. Which was obviously not this case.
In your case it was obviously rather an exemple of demagogic misinterpretation technique than "taking an advantage of my diffculties with English". Big boys don't usually do that. So you rather missed the point of what I was saying all the time than pointing at anything at all. All I was saying are obvious things: 1) Winning gear is the safest, 2) you can hardly compare it in terms of safety with Grant (especially because Grant gloves have more or less the same kind of padding as all other Mexican brands - latex), though Grant is nice too , 3) (and this is purely my personal opinion) when choosing a pair of gloves you should choose safety, not design, leather etc. because you are responsible for health of your sparring partner too. That's all.
So whatever you were pointing at you totally missed the point.
Blair just put my previous words back to the sentence you deliberately castrated, not any new words into my mouth.
You're right, and I'm an idiot. My denial was more figurative (at least in my mind), but I clearly did remove the context to display only the specific point I wanted to tease you about. I should have left the entire sentence in place, and simply highlighted that phrase. I apologize. I logged in this morning specifically to correct the error in my denial, and found that you had already (quite eloquently, I might add) put me in my place.

But the point of the sentence was very clear, too: if you don't buy Winning, you should buy Top Ten. There's only one way to interpret that, in any language.

Imho anybody who doesn't own Winning gloves and takes care of his/her sparring partner health should put some money together and buy Top Ten gloves.

I'll shut my trap now. Again I apologize.

Last edited:
But the point of the sentence was very clear, too: if you don't buy Winning, you should buy Top Ten. There's only one way to interpret that, in any language.

You're absolutely right, I am sorry. Actually I meant "for exemple Top Ten". But unfortunately I didn't say it. I just personally consider Top Ten very safe, but no doubt there are many very other safe gloves (and gear in general) - like Ringside IMF etc. etc. For exemple I loved Conlon Boxing Gold Series lace up gloves for sparring (unfortunately Conlon are out of business now) - their lace up 16 oz. were lovely and very soft. I am afraid I am just hypersensitive when talking about safety, because a lot of people around me spar in 10 oz. Top King :eek: But of course I avoid sparring with them...

Safety over form and fit, eh? Anyone know where I can get a pair of these?

6.png

The irony is that Mexican gloves like Reyes are usually described as "huge" by Sherdog posters.

Top Ten gloves are also quite small in the fist, almost the size of a fight glove, to make it more realistic to work your defense.

My Grant fight gloves are actually larger than my Winning fight gloves too.

So safety does not always sacrifice form and fit.

Safety over form and fit, eh? Anyone know where I can get a pair of these?

:icon_lol: A great pair, time to replace my Winning and Top Ten, they suck :)

Actually I just meant "I never prefer fit and/or appearance over safety", not "If the gloves are safe nothing else matters". Usually almost all of the gloves I consider very safe have a nice fit, I like the fit of Winning the most, but I like the fit of Top Ten and many others too...

The irony is that Mexican gloves like Reyes are usually described as "huge" by Sherdog posters.

Top Ten gloves are also quite small in the fist, almost the size of a fight glove, to make it more realistic to work your defense.

My Grant fight gloves are actually larger than my Winning fight gloves too.

So safety does not always sacrifice form and fit.

Ya, I don't get that, the two video reviews I have seen of the 16oz training gloves it looks like, and they say that the gloves fit great. That is the thing when it comes to glove reviews, they may or may not fit one person, but be perfect for someone else. I have tried on Grant training gloves before and liked the fit, I have only tried on an older pair of 14oz Cleto Reyes and they were snug.

14oz Reyes have a much noticeably smaller hand compartment than 16oz Reyes though

14oz Reyes have a much noticeably smaller hand compartment than 16oz Reyes though

And that was without hand wraps, but also why I am hesitant to order a pair; also, I would need to order a pair of 18oz.

This one of the videos I saw:
[Yt]G9IdqzR6h_k[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
The sizing question is a bit tricky, because it more depends on the shape of your head rather than the size.

My head measures exactly 22.5 inches around the eyebrows. The first Winning headgear I bought was the size medium, which felt comfortable. The most recent ones I got are both large and they feel even more comfortable.

I've got more of a round shaped head rather than a long shaped head and I think that's important.

I'm also exactly 22.5 inches around the eyebrows but have a long shaped head.
Large the way to go?

I also measure 22.5" around the eyebrows. When I bought my FG-5000 I decided to get both the medium and the large size to compare them side by side. The medium ended up fitting me better than the large. The cheek pads of the medium were positioned in the correct spot for my face. Since you are between the two sizes it would be best to get both and keep only the better fitting one. But it's a lot of cash to put out there. That being said Kazumichi refunded me promptly and courteously.

I measure 23" and am probably going with the large (2900). I figure they can always be tightened smaller (within reason) so it's better to be on the larger side, plus I do not want too large of a gap between the cheek pads. Will know better after I've tried them on as head shape will play its part too.

Last edited:
At 23" around I would think the large size should fit well.

Back