New; what should I expect?

There definitely are school that teach you pro wrestling. There's indy places around here that will train you so it would be just like a normal class you would go to.

I'm a female (brown belt) and see many girls come in and try out class. There are some that stick, many that do not. From what I've seen, they don't stick with it because it's too hard on the body or they get thrown around during their first few rolls and can't handle it.

I've seen girls who have done sports all their lives and come in thinking they're super tough, and want to jump in and fight right away. Then they get worked during the first few rolls, and cry or quit because they realize just how little they know when it comes to actual fighting/being tough. The ones that can get over that are the ones that make it in BJJ.

There's also the occasional girl who says "OMG REALLY? TEEHEEHEE" the ENTIRE TIME during technique....or giggles like a crazy person while drilling...please don't be that girl. Just look around at what everyone else is doing and follow along.

Most schools are very receptive to new students, especially women who actually express genuine interest. At our school, the only students that really get crushed their first few days are the loudmouths that challenge the upper belts...so avoid that, haha.

If you don't want visible injuries...that's kind of tough. Bruises, black eyes, gi burns on your face and neck are pretty common. However, it is fighting after all. Train with the guys when you can (try to find an upper belt who won't try to kill you) The toughest female rolls I've had (Hillary included) are with girls who train with the guys.

These are just some things I've seen over the years - not trying to discourage you by any means, I wish more women did BJJ. Just know that if you're looking to do this for a long time and really want to fight, it's a lot of blood, sweat, and tears.

Good luck & most importantly, have fun!

To be honest with you, black eye's, Gi/mat burns(kind of like carpet burns but a little worse), bruises and busted lips are all a part of training. You're not gonna get busted up every class mind you but expect a minor visible injury about every month or two.

cauliflower ears are fairly common but that's easy to prevent with some headgear(like wrestl...real wrestlers wear, no offense)
I'm sure you know what cauliflower ears are and if not then Let me google that for you

They certainly do teach you pro wrestling. It's actually way fucking harder than you'd expect. Requires a lot of stamina and such, and it actually does take skills. Try it and you'd believe me.

As far as the visible injuries, I guess I could somewhat deal with them. I'm not worried about dislocating a shoulder or breaking my arm as much as I am to get a bruised lip or something. But this is what I really want to do so I guess I gotta make some sacrifices.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm definitely nervous for my first time because I've never really done any sort of grapling, rolling or any of that sort but I'll give it a good try. Anything else I should really know or am I all set?

Don't be nervous. The only thing to be nervous about is if you're not into meeting new people and having fun. Hell, I'm antisocial as hell and have no problem training in my gym or a new one. In terms of what to be prepared for... to be exhausted, sore as hell, nausea. The first few classes will be challenging physically just to get muscles you don't normally use burning.

I don't think it's boring at all.

After my first class I wanted to throw up. I couldn't lift my head because I had been guillotined and choked so many times... after like maybe 20-30 minutes when I got a second wind it was like the greatest high I had ever experienced. Just break through that wall where you think you can't go anymore and if you feel nausea just keep going through it til you drop. When you get a second wind it's like you feel as though nothing can stop you anymore. After that class I went to the grocery store and noticed that I had a big stupid grin on my face, bruises and mat burns on my arms and elbows.

For a female I think BJJ is of the utmost importance. It teaches a smaller person how to use leverage, momentum and lastly force against a bigger attacker. So you'll learn probably on day one how to get someone from in between your legs and mount them so you can make good your escape or make that person pay dearly for attacking you.

DEFINITELY go with BJJ focus and take maybe 1 mma class a week to 2 BJJ classes or something. Focus on BJJ because there is more to learn than you ever possibly could learn. Striking is all well and good but it doesn't train you for someone choking you out on the ground, which is what will happen to even the best striker at times.

Have fun. Keep working on it. Let us know.

And lastly - JUST TAP when you can't take anymore.

They certainly do teach you pro wrestling. It's actually way fucking harder than you'd expect. Requires a lot of stamina and such, and it actually does take skills. Try it and you'd believe me.

Anett, do they only do works nowadays? Like do any shoots happen anymore?

Well wwe, ecw, like all those, even indy wrestling matches are all works. If that's what you're asking me. However indy mathes do sometimes have shoots because of like audience interfirence and like just stuff they can't control, but yeah basically everything else is all scripted.

To be honest with you, black eye's, Gi/mat burns(kind of like carpet burns but a little worse), bruises and busted lips are all a part of training. You're not gonna get busted up every class mind you but expect a minor visible injury about every month or two.

cauliflower ears are fairly common but that's easy to prevent with some headgear(like wrestl...real wrestlers wear, no offense)
I'm sure you know what cauliflower ears are and if not then Let me google that for you

Cauliflower ear is hard earned badge of honor.

Well wwe, ecw, like all those, even indy wrestling matches are all works. If that's what you're asking me. However indy mathes do sometimes have shoots because of like audience interfirence and like just stuff they can't control, but yeah basically everything else is all scripted.

oh thats disappointing. Cool that they do alot of cardio. Did you do any matches or anything every once in a while I watch WWE. it's entertaining when there is no UFC fights on

Last edited:
I've never actually done a match. It's all just whatevever we did at class or just like doing some backyard wrestling with buddies. I don't do it as much though but I'll still ocasionaly do some wrestling if like a friend is over or whatever.

I've never actually done a match. It's all just whatevever we did at class or just like doing some backyard wrestling with buddies. I don't do it as much though but I'll still ocasionaly do some wrestling if like a friend is over or whatever.

Thats still pretty cool. What got you into it?

Just watching the good old wwf times. Like I remember every friday I'd watch smackdown at my friends house and then we'd just wrestle like we saw it on tv. It was fun and then I stopped but then when I got older I found some friends who were also into it and we just started wrestling for fun.

Expect to be tired at the end of class. Thats about it, just bring what they told you to.

Be friendly, Be polite, Try hard, Have fun.

Covers all that's expected of you in a first lesson.

What should expect in return, people doing those 4 also, prepare to be tired, grappling is more tiring than it looks. You will pick up injuries, maybe not straight away unless your really out of shape, the experienced ones don't go hard on beginners too early for fear of scaring them off, anyone who does is a clown, why wouldn't you want more training partners? mind boggles..

Yeah but you can prevent cauliflower ears so it's all good.

Well I'm going to go to a free trial at a nearby gym. I can't decided whether I want brazilian jui jitsu or mma, but I'll decide that later. Anyways I'm a girl, so like what should I expect first day? The only think they told me to bring is shorts or sweatpants, tshirt, and water. Anything else I should know or any tips?
I also don't have much background with any contact sports. I've done a little bit of kickboxing and some wrestling (wwe style), I'm also 17.

please explain?

Back