New; what should I expect?

you've got it easy, when I first came to a jiujitsu class just to watch(at 14 btw) the instructor said "yeah take your shoes off and come onto the mat, see how you like it" I was doing warm ups in jeans and a polo shirt lol.

To be honest with you, the only people who get treated like anything else but family in the bjj community are newbies who come in with an "I can kick anyone's ass and I already know everything" attitude (we wreck them so they won't come back) and people from other gyms, but that's just a friendly rivalry thing.

As long as you come into the gym with a little humility and a willingness to learn people will do everything they can to help you. Trust me, if you like it then after about 3 months or so the gym will become your other home and your training partners will become your other family.

Expect to be showed off to because that's what guys do. I would suggest telling them that you know it's not a cardio workout unlike some of the girls who have been in my gym and expected not to get hit ever.

Like people have been saying, definitely go in with an open mind. Definitely tie your hair back. You don't want it in the way when you're training - surprisingly some girls come in with their hair loose in their first class :icon_conf

The warm ups are pretty tough. Don't get frustrated, just do what you can. Watch what everyone else is doing. You'll feel lost at the beginning, but I'll come together in the next couple of days.

If you're lucky enough to see other girls training - seek them and partner with them the first couple of times. They can give you a lot of advice.

Go in with a can do attitude. Be prepared to sweat and work hard. Remember it's not going to be a ballet class :icon_chee

I hope you stick with it. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm definitely nervous for my first time because I've never really done any sort of grapling, rolling or any of that sort but I'll give it a good try. Anything else I should really know or am I all set?

It's ok to be nervous your first time. Ask the guy to be gentle.

first I should ask you, why are you doing this? what are your goals you hope to achieve? if you are just wanting to get in shape you should do something else. granted BJJ or MMA training would get you in shape, but unless grappling or fight training are something you are truly interest in excelling in you'd be better and safer doing something else. a 17 yr old girl with no athletic background deciding to just jump in to a very rough sport is commendable but perhaps a little foolhardy. I received two injured elbows, ringworm, staph, chipped bottom tooth, and injured knee all in about 3.5 years of training BJJ. All injuries but one of my elbows is healed now but that just gives you an idea of the reality of grappling. I hope you like bathing in other people's sweat b/c that's something that is going to happen along with whatever skin conditions, bacteria. or viruses that may include. I love BJJ but I can't imagine why a girl would want to do it.

Anett, send a private message to Hillary on these forums (finding a thread with her in it/about her should be pretty easy) and ask her this question and any others you have about being a chick interested in Jiu Jitsu. Hillary's an amazing competitor, new black belt (in like 4 years!) and I'm sure would be cool to answer your questions/concerns.

Or email 50/Fifty BJJ and ask for Jenn.

first I should ask you, why are you doing this? what are your goals you hope to achieve? if you are just wanting to get in shape you should do something else. granted BJJ or MMA training would get you in shape, but unless grappling or fight training are something you are truly interest in excelling in you'd be better and safer doing something else. a 17 yr old girl with no athletic background deciding to just jump in to a very rough sport is commendable but perhaps a little foolhardy. I received two injured elbows, ringworm, staph, chipped bottom tooth, and injured knee all in about 3.5 years of training BJJ. All injuries but one of my elbows is healed now but that just gives you an idea of the reality of grappling. I hope you like bathing in other people's sweat b/c that's something that is going to happen along with whatever skin conditions, bacteria. or viruses that may include. I love BJJ but I can't imagine why a girl would want to do it.

I don't think it's foolhardy at all. We need more women in our sport.

To the OP, take this poster's advice with a grain of salt. I've been training for longer than he has and I've had only minor/inconvenient injuries. I think women especially, because they tend to be more flexible, are less injury prone in BJJ.

Dont have expectations, just have fun, do your best.

I'd leave out the WWE wrestling part if they ask if you have any experience. Besides that, just enjoy yourself. Good luck!

Why wouldn't a girl want to do it? honestly any other sport that a girl does can give you the same type of injuries(except staph). There needs to be more women in bjj, stop scaring them away! it's not as bad as you make it seem, you just go to know your limits.

I'd leave out the WWE wrestling part if they ask if you have any experience. Besides that, just enjoy yourself. Good luck!

Ok, but why? Just wondering.

As far as why I want to do this. I've always just been into action and contact sports. I don't really care about the injuries as long as they're not visible. It's true, too, that I'm flexible so I'm sure that would help a bit with grappling. However I'm not planning on being an mma fighter or anything, just basically doing this for my own fun

Why wouldn't a girl want to do it? honestly any other sport that a girl does can give you the same type of injuries(except staph). There needs to be more women in bjj, stop scaring them away! it's not as bad as you make it seem, you just go to know your limits.

Don't pay attention to the post you quoted. BJJ is for everyone, male and female. In fact one of the regular posters on here, Hillary (Hillary Williams), is a black belt world champion. I'm sure she doesn't think women can't do bjj.

Regarding the pro wrestling thing, I wouldn't mention it as experience because it's not actually experience. No offense.

Ok, but why? Just wondering.

As far as why I want to do this. I've always just been into action and contact sports. I don't really care about the injuries as long as they're not visible. It's true, too, that I'm flexible so I'm sure that would help a bit with grappling. However I'm not planning on being an mma fighter or anything, just basically doing this for my own fun

I would leave out the WWE stuff because it won't get you anywhere by saying it. This is simply because Pro Wrestling is very different from real grappling BJJ or otherwise. People may think that you are trying to say that you are more experienced than the other beginners and they may see it as haughty, or think your a moron. ( not that I do)

Just curious, did you do "works" or shoots? If you did shoots exclusively or at all then thats not bad.

Hey idiots this isn't The Heavyweights show some respect. (And you know who you are).

Show up, train hard, and most of all have fun.

Good luck with your training.

How do you get experience in WWE type stuff? Are there academies or something. Just wondering..

How do you get experience in WWE type stuff? Are there academies or something. Just wondering..

Yes, there are many schools. From the little I know, the pro wrestling schools place a big importance on cardio, and try to wear students down for real with cardio training. Learning falls is an absolute must. Then, you learn combinations and sequences, to have a basis on how to work a match. There is a pro wrestling team in my area, but I really don't think it would be a good idea to check it out, especially knowing the stories about how things go in the business... and the last thing I want in the world is to end up under the main trainer. He once scared the hell out of me as a kid without even meaning it. Dude is like 400 pounds.

Back