New; what should I expect?

Anett

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm going to go to a free trial at a nearby gym. I can't decided whether I want brazilian jui jitsu or mma, but I'll decide that later. Anyways I'm a girl, so like what should I expect first day? The only think they told me to bring is shorts or sweatpants, tshirt, and water. Anything else I should know or any tips?
I also don't have much background with any contact sports. I've done a little bit of kickboxing and some wrestling (wwe style), I'm also 17.

If you take the jiu jitsu class, expect that it might be a little bit boring at first. New students at my school usually only start rolling after the first couple of classes, which is what we call the sparring. The workout is very good, and you'll certainly like it. Don't worry too much about etiquette, jiu jitsu places are usually very laid back and welcoming to new students.

Please ignore those two assholes above.

Just come in to the gym with an open mind. Like An End said, it might be boring in the very beginning if youve never grappled before, and are used to the high paced Cardio Kickboxing classes.

Dont be afraid to work with a partner, but i would suggest a senior belt, (experienced Blue maybe?) to drill with, as they can be more mature, and will have a better understanding of BJJ, and be able to help you along better.

Grappling isnt for everyone, but i hope you enjoy it.

Best of luck, and report back with how it goes.

expect to get your ass pounded. they are trying to go hard on you kind of like a test to weed out the weaklings.

i wasted so much energy being nervous my first couple days, just stay calm. It's actually a pretty chill environment.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm definitely nervous for my first time because I've never really done any sort of grapling, rolling or any of that sort but I'll give it a good try. Anything else I should really know or am I all set?

ANYBODY WHO WOULD TEACH YOU "MMA":icon_neut right of the bat is a waste of your time. PLEASE BELIEVE ME!!

Most of the people teaching MMA to brand new noobies are just poser schools teaching taekwondo branded as MMA.

Again, PLEASE BELIEVE ME!!

Someone teaching MMA to someone who doesn't already have a firm grasp of: BJJ or Judo or Sambo (preferably BJJ), Wrestling, Muay Thai/Kyukushin and boxing is like teaching someone who can't ride a bike motocross. IT SIMPLY WON'T WORK

Please disregard the a-holes in this thread. They are certainly noobies themselves, at best, and know not what they are talking about.

Good luck and have fun!

Do BJJ.

You should expect to feel a bit confused and helpless, but hopefully in a good way.

Try to relax and have fun. Try not to invest to much ego in how well you feel you are doing at first. Consider cutting both your toenails and fingernails are short, and don't eat heavily right before training.

Oh, and try to relax and have fun.

ANYBODY WHO WOULD TEACH YOU "MMA":icon_neut right of the bat is a waste of your time. PLEASE BELIEVE ME!!

Most of the people teaching MMA to brand new noobies are just poser schools teaching taekwondo branded as MMA.

Someone teaching MMA to someone who doesn't already have a firm grasp of: BJJ or Judo or Sambo (preferably BJJ), Wrestling, Muay Thai/Kyukushin and boxing is like teaching someone who can't ride a bike motocross. IT SIMPLY WON'T WORK

So what do you mean by this? Should I practise bjj first before starting mma?

I agree with that, the gym I used to go to had a MMA class. They had a lot of newbs who wanted to join it, so they changed the class requirements so you needed to have Muay Thai and\or BJJ experience to attend their MMA class.

your first BJJ class dont expect much, you will be working at your own pace for the first little while, when it comes to drilling they will pair you up with a more experienced partner.

Don't need to be nervous at all, just stay humble and respectful to others. Keep learning and don't pretend that you know everything after one class.

Have FUN !!!!

i agree with previous poster about trimming your nails.
girls love to roll with me because im light, and i roll slowly and technical
one thing i hate about rolling with girls - getting slashed or gouged by huge nails
i have a scar on my nose because of this
and a gash on my right thumb from a woman trying to break my sleeve grip

the fact that there hasn't been a sticky thread on this is a crime

So what do you mean by this? Should I practise bjj first before starting mma?

You need to have decent knowlege of a grappling art (BJJ, Judo, Sambo or Wrestling; in this order) AND decent knowledge of a Striking art (Muay Thai, Boxing or Kyukushin; in that order) before you start the composite of both, which is MMA. If you don't it will simply be too much info and ideas to incorporate at once and you'll never really become good at either. Although I love MMA I'm honest: Most of the striking in MMA SUCKS ASS, most of the grappling in MMA SUCKS ASS! Very few people (like A. Silva, B.J. Penn, G.S.P,) ever BECOME highly skilled at both aspects.

In my definiton of "decent knowledge" (and I'm a solid Blue Belt with a great lineage, and proficent in Muay Thai and Boxing) so take it for what it's worth, is atleast 1 year 5 hours per week in BOTH a striking discipline and a grappling discipline.

no it's true. I've hear people do that. Just to kinda seperate the strong from the week,you know. Make sure this is really what you want to do.

You've heard wrong.

Maybe if someone is visiting from another school, they might get crushed a little.

But new people are generally treated with dignity and respect, by all except the most worthless tools in the school (who usually get weeded out by the upper belts).

Smashing a noob is simply not cool.

no it's true. I've hear people do that. Just to kinda seperate the strong from the week,you know. Make sure this is really what you want to do.
The only newbies I've seen have gotten a hard time, is those rare few who seems to have had the wrongful impression that they are in an MMA match, and not a friendly roll. And even those are usually just told straight up to calm down, not crushed mercilessly.

It's a friendly environment. People won't try to crush you.

Back