New UFC anti-doping policy can get you suspened even if you don't fail a test

sherdog bitching as always. what did you expect TS..

i recall around the time of JJ test popped coco a lot here bitched and complained tests were not strong enough and had no teeth :)

welcome to new ERA where you get popped for associating with a known cheater. the new tests are working because cheaters are getting popped left a right and the ones that are not getting popped are arresting testers for no work visa :p (that is one off and next time there will be no where to hide)

this is just the beginning.

what is that saying again.. be careful what you wish for

There's an easy, simple work around to this issue; Private, locked door, 1 on 1 training sessions with the fighter under suspension. If no one from the USADA SEES or can PROVE that you were "training" with a known PED user, what can they do? From the way it's worded, you can "associate" [hang out] with a fighter under suspension, you just can't "train" with them in any capacity for a UFC fight.

The article states...

"Athlete Support Personnel: Any coach, trainer, corner man, second, manager, agent, official, medical or paramedical personnel, or any other Person working with, treating or assisting an Athlete participating in or preparing for a Bout".

If you're suspended in the nfl you're not allowed to be with your team at all. It's not that uncommon or that big of a deal.

Except NFL teams are all part of the league. The players are employees. MMA gyms aren't and fighters are IC's. And what's even more troubling is the language used in the clause which is "may". That leaves a lot to interpretation and puts fighters' backs against the wall even more. At least have a ruling that has certainty, and can't be used arbitrarily between gyms and fighters.

Besides, only a cheater would want to train with a caught cheater.

Anyone who doesn't want to support their friends during bad times, is a weak willed, shitty person. It doesn't matter what they do, you stand by your friends.

That's why it's important for USADA to have that rule. Raise the stakes for cheating, and keep that infection out of the gyms.

Except NFL teams are all part of the league. The players are employees. MMA gyms aren't and fighters are IC's. And what's even more troubling is the language used in the clause which is "may". That leaves a lot to interpretation and puts fighters' backs against the wall even more. At least have a ruling that has certainty, and can't be used arbitrarily between gyms and fighters.

In the event of a "may" you should always assume it's certain. That's just common sense. Every employer at every desk job I've ever had issued an employees "may" be drug tested warning. I've never been tested outside of when I was hired, but I also never took anything because I knew that was a possibility.

Jobs have some requirements. That's being a grown up. "Don't cheat, and don't professionally associate with cheaters" isn't a very big ask.

In the event of a "may" you should always assume it's certain. That's just common sense. Every employer at every desk job I've ever had issued an employees "may" be drug tested warning. I've never been tested outside of when I was hired, but I also never took anything because I knew that was a possibility.

Jobs have some requirements. That's being a grown up. "Don't cheat, and don't professionally associate with cheaters" isn't a very big ask.

You're conflating your experience as an employee to that of a fighter. Apples and oranges. And no, "may" isn't certain, not in the court of law nor in company practice. Why do you think the US is the most litigious country in the world and why precedents are given such importance? It's all because of language that is meant to be purposefully vague and arbitrary. It's the same reason why the UFC can implement a new policy like the Reebok deal that goes against more than two decades of practice, not only for the company but for the entire MMA industry. All because of one word. "May".

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't want to support their friends during bad times, is a weak willed, shitty person. It doesn't matter what they do, you stand by your friends.
My friend broke into my home & stole over $5000 in cash, jewelry & electronics to fuel his drug habit.

He's no longer my friend & apparently I'm now a weak willed, shitty person.

If you suspend everyone training with a steroid user, there will be zero fighters left in the UFC.

If the 50-90% prevalence of PED estimates are right, you are right. This will just drive innovation in PED creation and methods to hide use.

ITT: Posters who didn't read or don't understand the policy.

I like this. You not only let yourself down if you pop hot, you hurt those who work with you. Besides, only a cheater would want to train with a caught cheater.

I think the policy makes sense, but I disagree about the second part. I'm in no real position to judge, but I feel like I wouldn't mind a juiced-up training partner in my camp even if i'm clean, just makes me better. Unless you consider training with someone who's juicing cheating

I look at it like this, lets say I'm in the UFC and I'm pretty successful at the moment because I have this one really good training partner who helped me shore up one of my weaknesses, lets say wrestling. If my training partner tests positive for weed for example, and gets suspended a year, that means I'm under the threat of suspension if I let him into my camp to help me train within that year. I rely heavily on this guy for the development of my wrestling, which makes him crucial to my preparation for fights, but with these new policies, not only is my teammate punished, which he deserves, but I'm now punished because I lose a vital training partner.

It would be like of TJ Dilashaw being told he's not allowed to have Duane Ludwig help him train for his fights anymore, or DC being told Cain is not allowed to train with him. The UFC shouldn't be involved in who trains with who, for a fight. Fighters should have 100% control on who they train with, where they train, and how they do it.

Makes perfect sense, the only place I've ever seen da'roids is with guys who use them. Just because they are suspended does not mean they won't bring them to the team room. I've seen it at the NCAA level so I'm sure it's even more at the pro level where they can afford it much easier. Keeping the teams clean, even if it is forced, is a good way to purge the sport of this plague.

I look at it like this, lets say I'm in the UFC and I'm pretty successful at the moment because I have this one really good training partner who helped me shore up one of my weaknesses, lets say wrestling. If my training partner tests positive for weed for example, and gets suspended a year, that means I'm under the threat of suspension if I let him into my camp to help me train within that year. I rely heavily on this guy for the development of my wrestling, which makes him crucial to my preparation for fights, but with these new policies, not only is my teammate punished, which he deserves, but I'm now punished because I lose a vital training partner.

It would be like of TJ Dilashaw being told he's not allowed to have Duane Ludwig help him train for his fights anymore, or DC being told Cain is not allowed to train with him. The UFC shouldn't be involved in who trains with who, for a fight. Fighters should have 100% control on who they train with, where they train, and how they do it.
Did you even bother reading your own link?

You're conflating your experience as an employee to that of a fighter. Apples and oranges. And no, "may" isn't certain, not in the court of law nor in company practice. Why do you think the US is the most litigious country in the world and why precedents are given such importance? It's all because of language that is meant to be purposefully vague and arbitrary. It's the same reason why the UFC can implement a new policy like the Reebok deal that goes against more than two decades of practice, not only for the company but for the entire MMA industry. All because of one word. "May".

They put may so they have the option to do so. That's all there is to it. That's contract law 101. Anything someone can do, they will do eventually. That's life.

My friend broke into my home & stole over $5000 in cash, jewelry & electronics to fuel his drug habit.

He's no longer my friend & apparently I'm now a weak willed, shitty person.

And a poor judge of character.

I doubt they will enforce it, just keep it in their back pocket for when they may want to use that policy against someone.

YET AGAIN. Another way the UFC is clearly overstepping it's boundaries. I really hope the teamsters come and fuck a lot of stuff up for them because it's ridiculous.

The UFC and all it's supporters ALWAYS want to cite how the UFC is like the NFL and other major sports leagues. Oh they have uniforms so we should have them too. NFL players can't train with their teams while suspended oh so we should do the same. They ONLY want to compare themselves to other leagues when it benefits them.

So then why aren't the fighters employees? Why is there no union/association to provide a voice for collective bargaining? Why is there no league minimum for the UFC that is APPROVED by a fighters union/association? If they want to involve teams then why aren't these teams payed directly by the UFC?

It's hysterical. They only want to compare themselves to the NFL to be "more professional" when it benefits them. Otherwise nope!

I'm really glad it seems like this whole house of cards is coming crashing down. I am very in favor of having the best fighters in the world all in one organization to fight each other, but I like many others, hate the way the UFC does business.

Back