New UFC anti-doping policy can get you suspened even if you don't fail a test

Inashikacho

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
http://halfguarded.com/the-new-ufc-...s-have-ended-careers-for-first-time-offenses/

I just found the link with this information on another forum. This is really serious and can really mess with a lot of people's careers. Apparently, if a fighter fails a drug test, or violates the USADA policy, that person is blackballed from being involved with any other ufc fighter preparing for a bout.

From the way it was explained, a guy like Gil Melendez, who's currently suspended, wouldn't be allowed to help other UFC fighters like Nate Diaz train for their fights while under suspension. If the Nate was to be caught allowing Gil to be involved in his training camp for a signed bout, Gil would have his suspension extended, and Nate would now be suspended himself. Theoretically, all of the UFC fighters in a fight camp could be suspended simultaneously if they allow a suspended fighter to train with them.

That sounds like BS to me. I hope these fighters actually read these new rules or they can get screwed over quite easily.

They can get screwed over quite easily IF THEY USE STEROIDS or associate with people who use steroids. It's a good policy that will keep the cancer of steroids farther away from this sport.

I like this. You not only let yourself down if you pop hot, you hurt those who work with you. Besides, only a cheater would want to train with a caught cheater.

Dumb. If someone gets busted and suspended, then fine, but how can they tell them that they're not allowed to train with their team anymore? Suspending a fighter for training with someone that is suspended, is ridiculous.

This could turn into an MMA epidemic. Suspensions left and right.

If you're no longer allowed to train with your teammates during a suspension, why not just ban them for life? A year without training for someone in their 30s is a death sentence for their career.

Also, so if you're suspended and you witness another fighter in full arrest and you give them CPR, your suspension will extend and they'll get in trouble?

Dumb. If someone gets busted and suspended, then fine, but how can they tell them that they're not allowed to train with their team anymore? Suspending a fighter for training with someone that is suspended, is ridiculous.

If you're suspended in the nfl you're not allowed to be with your team at all. It's not that uncommon or that big of a deal.

If you suspend everyone training with a steroid user, there will be zero fighters left in the UFC.

If you're no longer allowed to train with your teammates during a suspension, why not just ban them for life? A year without training for someone in their 30s is a death sentence for their career.

Also, so if you're suspended and you witness another fighter in full arrest and you give them CPR, your suspension will extend and they'll get in trouble?
I don't know why but the stupidity on this forum still surprises me

Maybe a slight bit harsh not sure if they should say who you can and cannot train with

In other leagues though if you are suspended you aren't allowed to practice during the suspension

Don't be stupid. You don't need such gross exaggeration to make your point.

It's a tough stand. Let's see if they have the stones to follow through on it. I suspect that they don't.

I like this. You not only let yourself down if you pop hot, you hurt those who work with you. Besides, only a cheater would want to train with a caught cheater.

I disagree strongly, this policy overreaches way out of reasonable bounds. The fighters are not employees of the UFC, they are independent contractors as Dana White likes to call them, so who are they to tell them who they can and a can't train with? If they want to ban them from cornering, fine, but they shouldn't have an influence on who a fighter is allowed to train with, I don't care if they are a drug cheat or not. It's harsh enough for a fighter to be suspended from from fighting for 2 years, but on top of that, blackball them from training and/or helping his teammates prepare for fights is just crazy. You might as well give fighters a lifetime ban for the first offense if that's the case.

I disagree strongly, this policy overreaches way out of reasonable bounds. The fighters are not employees of the UFC, they are independent contractors as Dana White likes to call them, so who are they to tell them who they can and a can't train with? If they want to ban them from cornering, fine, but they shouldn't have an influence on who a fighter is allowed to train with, I don't care if they are a drug cheat or not. It's harsh enough for a fighter to be suspended from from fighting for 2 years, but on top of that, blackball them from training and/or helping his teammates prepare for fights is just crazy. You might as well give fighters a lifetime ban for the first offense if that's the case.

It's harsh, but remember, it is for willful cheating. It doesn't just happen, they explicitly choose to cheat.

Maybe a slight bit harsh not sure if they should say who you can and cannot train with

In other leagues though if you are suspended you aren't allowed to practice during the suspension

Yeah but assuming someone did violate that, the rest of the team wouldn't get suspended.

Damn. I really wanna start doing steroids. I don't get tested, and my bosses wouldn't mind.

If they want to ban them from cornering, fine, but they shouldn't have an influence on who a fighter is allowed to train with, I don't care if they are a drug cheat or not.
^^^
I agree with this.

This testing policy seems to be on par with how other sports are doing it as far as isolating them from their "team" if they get popped. I see what they're trying to do here, it doesn't translate well to the tribal training nature of MMA tho. If the guy's not allowed to fight, and he's not allowed to at least train with and help his boys train, then he's basically got nothing for however long the suspension is..

Of course the alternative to all this headache is to not use PEDs in the first place.

http://halfguarded.com/the-new-ufc-...s-have-ended-careers-for-first-time-offenses/

I just found the link with this information on another forum. This is really serious and can really mess with a lot of people's careers. Apparently, if a fighter fails a drug test, or violates the USADA policy, that person is blackballed from being involved with any other ufc fighter preparing for a bout.

From the way it was explained, a guy like Gil Melendez, who's currently suspended, wouldn't be allowed to help other UFC fighters like Nate Diaz train for their fights while under suspension. If the Nate was to be caught allowing Gil to be involved in his training camp for a signed bout, Gil would have his suspension extended, and Nate would now be suspended himself. Theoretically, all of the UFC fighters in a fight camp could be suspended simultaneously if they allow a suspended fighter to train with them.

That sounds like BS to me. I hope these fighters actually read these new rules or they can get screwed over quite easily.

it doesn't matter if they read or not. They have no say in it, and they can't "not sign" the new policy (if they want to fight in the UFC).
They are trapped, same as with the Uniforms. They don't have a choice.

It's a good lesson that MMA fighters and coaches need to learn. Don't cheat, and stay away from cheaters.

I wouldn't mind if entire teams were penalized somehow for having a fighter caught using PEDs. There needs to be a good deal of pressure on these fighters and teams NOT to cheat or allow cheaters in their midst. The benefits can't outweigh the negatives any longer.

Back