Friday
6:30am: Morning CardioRun
4mile run - 45-60min

11:30am: Strength Training
10min warm-up treadmill 3.5mph 1%inc.
Front Squats - 5x5
Flat Dumbell Press - 5x5
Bent-over Barbell Row - 5x5
Decline Twisting Sit-up - 3x20 (10/side)

6:00pm - BJJ (hard practise)

Saturday
1:00pm - Judo

Sunday
Rest & Ice

*2 warm-up sets of 10 for each heavy-load lift (making total of 7 sets)
*2 minute rest before each working set (1 minute for warm-up sets)
*1 minute rest before each core/abdominal set

starting strength!!!!

oh sorry i got carried away

might i suggest you include the bench press

That's what he meant by flat press. :D

You know, some people don't even do the bench press due to the bar locking the shoulder in sometimes an unnatural position, and depending on, so they say, the acromian process, there could be some impingment.

But yea, technique is everything, and barbel= more load= more power & strength.

Need more muscle so I can take more hits!!!

Whatever happened to just speed and finishing it.

Oh yea, gloves, nevermind..

**walks away fast.

What was your routine like before/what is your training background? What goals do you have?

Right away I have a number of thoughts

(1) What is your goal behind so much cardio? If you can handle that amount, you can handle doing less but at a higher intensity.

(2) Is there a reason you don't include any overhead movements, or back squats?

(3) What is your plan for progression? 5x5 is good and all, but it's just as important to have an idea of what kind of progressions you'll use.

(4) With the dips you're probably better off aiming for more reps in less time, or more total reps, rather than multiple sets to failure.

(5) How are you performing the upright rows? I don't like how it's usually performed, I think it's better done as a hang clean high pull, if done at all.

I don't see curls in your workout. What's up with that? You know you need to pump the guns for the ladies.

Really though, it looks ok. Are you normally active or are you just starting out? You have a lot going on there, beware of overtraining if you are just starting out. Can you handle 4 miles a day 5 days a week? My knees would be screaming at me.

Not trying to thread-jack, but just curious where this is coming from?

Because intervals/sprints/whatever the fuck you wanna call them, increase aerobic and anaerobic capacity while making you used to a faster pace. Instead of doing 4 long runs a week, doing 2 long runs and 2 interval runs might be more beneficial. There's lots of science and shit behind it but I'm not gonna sit here and babble bullshit.

Not trying to thread-jack, but just curious where this is coming from? Obviously goals here are going to dictate this entirely, but coming from endurance sport mentality and being around serious endurance athletes, it seemed me a little odd.

I agree it seems like a lot without some specific training goal, and there's some sound reasoning behind cutting back total endurance exercise and maintaining progress. For example, average person training for say a half marathon is probably not going to see much or any benefit going from 35 to 45 a week, but that's one extra long run per week when the body could be recovering that is netting no benefit. But you wouldn't necessarily want to increase the intensity of your 35 mile week in lieu of increasing distance.

Well I don't see someone who is conditioned well enough to handle that training volume benefitting from doing lots of running at a 11-15 minute mile pace.

(1) What is your goal behind so much cardio? If you can handle that amount, you can handle doing less but at a higher intensity.

(2) Is there a reason you don't include any overhead movements, or back squats?

(3) What is your plan for progression? 5x5 is good and all, but it's just as important to have an idea of what kind of progressions you'll use.

(4) With the dips you're probably better off aiming for more reps in less time, or more total reps, rather than multiple sets to failure.

(5) How are you performing the upright rows? I don't like how it's usually performed, I think it's better done as a hang clean high pull, if done at all.

1. Right now I walk around around at 154lbs but I'd like to be compete at 141lbs for BJJ. I find the morning jog really energizes me, plus it also helps kick-start my appetite for the day (which I need).

2. I don't have a spotter. I've been contemplating adding SOHP, perhaps replacing the dips. Back squats hurt my vertebrae, plus I feel my form is much better with the front squat.

3. My initial goal was to change the routine after 8-10 weeks, gearing it more towards power and endurance. Explosive (dare I say Olympic) lifting, metabolic circuits and plyometrics/sprints were on the menu. I'm sure my plans will change after hearing your responses.

4. See #2.

5. I do them how you wouldn't like them. My goal was to do them that way as a prerequisite to the hang cleans, but maybe I should nut-up and start doing them properly.

1. Right now I walk around around at 154lbs but I'd like to be compete at 141lbs for BJJ. I find the morning jog really energizes me, plus it also helps kick-start my appetite for the day (which I need).

Fair enough. I don't see the morning jog improving your conditioning at all, at that pace it's only a slight step up from a fast walk, but if you like it, and can handle that volume of running, keep it.

2. I don't have a spotter. I've been contemplating adding SOHP, perhaps replacing the dips. Back squats hurt my vertebrae, plus I feel my form is much better with the front squat.

IMO you'd benefit more from SOHP than dips, and it would be better for shoulder health. Regarding squats, I think it'd be better to address the issues with vertebrae and technique, rather than avoiding back squats. Front squats are a good lift, and if you choose to prioritize them over back squats that's fine. But at the very least you should address the issues with the vertebral pain. Seeing a sports medicine doctor would be a idea.

3. My initial goal was to change the routine after 8-10 weeks, gearing it more towards power and endurance. Explosive (dare I say Olympic) lifting, metabolic circuits and plyometrics/sprints were on the menu. I'm sure my plans will change after hearing your responses.

What I meant was: what's the plan for adding more weight? Are you able to add weight each workout? If not you need to think more about how you will progress.

5. I do them how you wouldn't like them. My goal was to do them that way as a prerequisite to the hang cleans, but maybe I should nut-up and start doing them properly.

An upright row done the usual way won't really help you at all with hang cleans. If you want to do hang cleans just do them.

Also, you have a lot going on in your routine. You might find that less is more, and that you benefit from not training so much, but instead really focusing your efforts. For example 5/3/1 twice a week, and high intensity conditioning twice a week.

Thanks Tosa,

I went to the gym today to test/practise my form for back squats and my spine was fine. Perhaps since I've gained some mass to my upper-back, finding the "sweet spot" for the bar isn't an issue anymore. Actually I feel I could lift more with this method than with front squats, but I didn't press the issue. (no pun intended)

Starting immediately I'm replacing the dips with 5x5 SOHP (with 2 warm-up sets, as well.) Also, the upright rows have been replaced with hang cleans. That means I'll only be doing those exercises once a week, which may need to change. I'm sure the dips will return one day.

Thus far I've been able to add 5-10lbs to most of the exercises each session. If I fail before the 5th rep on the 5th set (following 2 minute rests), the load will remain the same into the next session. The loads for the core exercises are always kept the same (bodyweight for hanging knee-tucks, 25lbs for back extensions and 10lbs for twisting decline crunches) and are progressed by adjusting the rep/set/rest scheme instead of the load. My core is blasted at every BJJ practise anyways, so I'm happy.

Please continue with your input/advice. One thought I had was to replace one of the rowing sessions (which I enjoy) with swimming (which I don't). What is your opinion on that?

Thanks Tosa,

I went to the gym today to test/practise my form for back squats and my spine was fine. Perhaps since I've gained some mass to my upper-back, finding the "sweet spot" for the bar isn't an issue anymore. Actually I feel I could lift more with this method than with front squats, but I didn't press the issue. (no pun intended)

Starting immediately I'm replacing the dips with 5x5 SOHP (with 2 warm-up sets, as well.) Also, the upright rows have been replaced with hang cleans. That means I'll only be doing those exercises once a week, which may need to change. I'm sure the dips will return one day.

Thus far I've been able to add 5-10lbs to most of the exercises each session. If I fail before the 5th rep on the 5th set (following 2 minute rests), the load will remain the same into the next session. The loads for the core exercises are always kept the same (bodyweight for hanging knee-tucks, 25lbs for back extensions and 10lbs for twisting decline crunches) and are progressed by adjusting the rep/set/rest scheme instead of the load. My core is blasted at every BJJ practise anyways, so I'm happy.

Please continue with your input/advice. One thought I had was to replace one of the rowing sessions (which I enjoy) with swimming (which I don't). What is your opinion on that?

You will be able to lift more with back squats than front squats, because the leverages are better. If you can progress like that, continue to do so. With regards to swimming v. rowing, what matters is intensity, time, work-rest periods etc, not so much what exercise you're doing - that being said, certain exercises allow for higher intensities because they make use of more muscle, but this isn't an issue, rowing allows for very high intensities. Also, having some variety in conditioning work can help avoid injuries, and keep things fun...but what you exercise(s) you do for conditioning is your call.

Back