New to MMA, looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by KID GRANDEUR, Sep 8, 2010.

1. KID GRANDEUR

KID GRANDEUR White Belt

Hey everybody first id like to introduce myself, I'm 21 years old and I have no MMA experience. The only USD training I have I recieved in Basic Training and in Military Police School in the US Army. I recently started training at a gym near my home but this is all new to me. I was always passionate about boxing but recently I wanted to get more into MMA. I'm in decent shape; 6'2, 200 lbs. I play quarterback for a semi-pro football team in Pennsylvania, and play forward in basketball.

That being said, I'm looking for tips in all departments. Good cardio workouts, what food to eat, what equipment I'll need, etc. Please give me the guidance you guys have to offer. I'm excited to get a chance to learn from some educated people.

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Start by reading the Strength and conditioning FAQs, and the D&S FAQ. Then ask any questions you still have.

3. PhoneixJesus

PhoneixJesus Green Belt

Keep your hands up, chin down and avoid getting hit.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  4. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

So the gym you joined is an MMA gym?

5. mrsneakyz28

mrsneakyz28 Green Belt

Sigh...I think you should learn Muay Thai and BJJ or Wrestling separately and compete separately for some time, then put it all together in mma. I don't like the whole train "mma" idea. It might be good for a few amateur fights but you will hit a road block eventually.

6. KID GRANDEUR

KID GRANDEUR White Belt

Yeah it's an MMA gym. Eventually I'd want to compete but right now I'm more into learning the skills and basics of different types of martial arts. Right now my attention is in BJJ.

7. Mickey Oneil

Mickey Oneil Orange Belt

+1.

8. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

Agreed.

9. MusclesMarinara

MusclesMarinara Friends with Bigfoot

You might want to start out by figuring out what weight class you're looking to compete in, that is if your looking to compete at all. That will help you decide if you need to bulk up or work on cutting.

I'd consider interval training to help your whole body muscular endurance.

10. ASUThermo

ASUThermo Wide Right: ╚╦╝ ○

Talk with your coaches and trainers about their ideas on the correct avenues for you to take to get to your goals. Some coaches techniques and methods may vary, but at this point most have a good understanding of how to progress future competitors. It sounds like you have an athletic background, but no previous wrestling or combat sport experience so you might have to tweak your body to get in the ideal shape to maximize your potential. Proper strength and conditioning should be readily supplied by any coaches at your facility, if not as said earlier check out the information provided in the stickies.

Equipment is normally a cup, mouthpiece, bag gloves, and sparring gloves, headgear and insteps. As far as MMA is concerned you should speak with your coaches or who ever assigns your fighters to the local amateur fights and find out what gloves and or insteps they use in the promotion and consider picking those up, although that should not come in to play until some experience is gained. You live in PA so there is a chance you may be placed in an amateur event in NJ. The gloves and insteps are standard and depending upon the size of the fighter they will have 6 or 7 oz. gloves, getting comfortable in the actual competition equipment is always a good idea since different styles and brands of gloves and insteps have different feels and hand coverage.

I don't think focusing on a weight class this early in training makes sense and a competitor should not have to worry about an extra concern if they don't have to. Most likely you will start out in grappling tournaments and you do not have to be assigned to a weight class ahead of the time you weigh in anyways so making a weight class should not be top priority at a novice or beginner level. When it comes time to take a fight and commit to a weight class sometimes months ahead of time you should focus on getting to that ideal but attainable weight. Amateur events sometimes hold weigh ins on the same day as the fight and a major weight cut can deplete your energy.

I hope that wasn't too much of a ramble.

11. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

This is good advice.