New to grappling, where do I start?

you should just look at a different sport.
you are going to find out very quickly how you aren't fit to do MMA when you start training... especially when you are here asking questions like that.

You are asking right questions. Do not listen to those who says that you should just shut up and train. They wasted years on stupid drills and warmups, and they think this is the right way to go.

The truth is that everyone needs specific training based on his body type, past experience, athleticism, age, etc. If, say, you got very short legs, and you come to the class and they learn leg triangle - you waste this day, because you'll never be able to do that.

What you should do is to start doing private classes with your coach 2-3 times a week. You will be moving 5-10 times faster than taking regular classes.

If you think this is expensive then compare that with how much you would have to pay in 12 years (average time to black belt) for regular classes, and how much lifetime you can save.

so wrong on every level. unless you're a double amputee, you can do a triangle. it might be hard if you have short legs, but that doesn't mean it will never work. you just have to put in the time. i know if i spend as much time doing triangles as i do driling x guard sweeps, id be pretty fucking good at triangles despite my manlet sized legs

Guys, that was a joke. :) Privates are great thing, but nothing substitutes mat hours.

Back