New to BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jlane, Jul 20, 2010.

1. jlane

jlane White Belt

Hey there,

I've been doing BJJ for the past month now (not training everyday, once or twice a week, about 6 lessons) and I'm about as dire as you can imagine any newbie to be.

However, at my most recent class, I had one of those days where even the simplest of tasks was nigh on impossible to get my head around, and as for rolling I got completely dominated as a lot of the positions I just don't know what to do. Apart from bridging and rolling I don't really know any sufficient counters or techniques.

Long story short, what techniques can a beginner like myself use to (not 'win' at rolling, I'm aware that wont happen for a while) just survive and improve?

2. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

consistency in attendance. the best train 6 days a week, be humble

3. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

This has happens to me a lot from top side control. I just don't really know any submissions from the top side control as my professor hasn't gone over it (at least not when I was there). So I basically have to get mount/back or stall.

4. blackers10

blackers10 Orange Belt

I am new also and am just slowly learning something new every session
    I just tell the person I am rolling with that I am new and don't know much and they know it as everything I do is all wrong lol

5. jlane

jlane White Belt

You know, this is one of the situations I had in my head when i made the thread. If I get side mounted I have no idea what to do, I normally just have to wait till I get mounted so I can attempt to bridge and roll.

Normally I'd just watch a stackload of instructional videos and learn some submissions. But I don't know how my teacher would react to me doing something like that without having been taught it in lesson, I know if I were teaching a class and some new guy came in and tried to kimura someone having only learned it from a video I'd be pretty pissed off that he'd possibly endanger someone like that using possibly shoddy technique.

6. blackers10

blackers10 Orange Belt

why go straight for a submission?
    I spent all lesson today rolling and did not try ANY submissions just transitioning to various spots
    I am glad my training partners were happy to help(as they should being of higher ability)

7. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

To be honest you're not going to be good for a while or even have alot of fun with it. A somewhat long term goal is to learn at least 3 techniques from every position. That's what I always tell brand new people. Once you have those you can start playing around.

TS it seems like you just don't have enough different techniques in your arsenal to be able to do something for most of the more common situations. Just keep going and learning and eventually you'll start to get a feel for what your opponent wants to do and what you can do against him/her.

I know it's not what you want to hear but the more you attend class and the more you roll the better you'll get. Try watching DVDs and youtube videos not to learn techniques(you really won't learn anything at this point from a DVD even if you think you will) but to get familiar with what they look like and different posibilities from different position.

Hope this helps

8. Stacked

Stacked Yellow Belt

Buy Saulo Ribeiro's book Jiu Jitsu University and focus on the first two chapters for a long time. Look at success in micro increments, pride yourself on surviving longer and longer, and realize that a big part of BJJ is the breaking down of the ego, everyone has to go through this phase. Focus on posture, don't worry about being offensive.

9. sfgrappler

sfgrappler White Belt

Welcome to the addiction. Just ask your instructor for one escape...drill it about 1000 times...and then try it live. You'll be surprised how well it works.

10. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Just keep at it, train as much as possible, and relax.