New to Bjj so....

Stmarkus

White Belt
Reaction score
At what point should my cardio become decent enough that I don't feel like throwing up during warm ups, and/or how soon before class should I eat?
I should add that I'm 51 years old,but in fairly decent shape not fat, but my cardio leaves something to be desired...lol....Also I'm pretty sore a few days after class and would like to train more than once or twice a week, so I suppose I'm asking any older guys, "does it get better, and how soon" I should add I've done martial arts before, (kickboxing) but this is on another level. Any and all answers are greatly appreciated.
Also, any beginners advice, please feel free. This is an awesome sport, but I guess you guys(and girls) already know that!

Thanks,

Mark

Usually a couple of weeks, but just make sure you roll after class because that really gets your body used the flow of what BJJ is.

I personally stop eating @ 2 hours before training , if im gonna eat like a big plate of pasta i make it 2,5 hours.
If you cant stop eating that long ,eat easier digestable foods.

Make sure you dont just roll once a weak , but do it at least 2 or 3 times
if you add like at least 1 time of cardio in the gym or running once a weak , you'll gradually feel more comfortable and i'd say in 3 or 4 weeks you wont have a problem anymore , offcourse after a week youll already feel the difference.

This is just my estimation.

Osu!

I personally stop eating @ 2 hours before training , if im gonna eat like a big plate of pasta i make it 2,5 hours.
If you cant stop eating that long ,eat easier digestable foods.

Make sure you dont just roll once a weak , but do it at least 2 or 3 times
if you add like at least 1 time of cardio in the gym or running once a weak , you'll gradually feel more comfortable and i'd say in 3 or 4 weeks you wont have a problem anymore , offcourse after a week youll already feel the difference.

This is just my estimation.

Osu!

I agree with this.

The soreness is natural. A few weeks of regular training and that will go away. Then you can increase the frequency of training. Same deal for the cardio issues. Best way to increase your cardio for bjj is to actually do bjj.

Just keep training, it will get better even as your technique improves.

I am older and can sympathize. I still struggle through warm-ups and by the end of class I am dead. My two biggest problems have been overall lack of time to devote (due to professional and family responsibilities) and cardio. The most I can do is classes twice per week because of soreness and continual minor injuries. Due to schedule issues, however, it is usually once a week so I try to do at least one or two cardio intensive / cross-training / high rep workouts at home when I miss class. I’ll let you know when I have it figured out!

havent done much bjj but i find alot of fibre and fruit is a good pre training meal. smoking weed makes training funner too.

I usually eat a few blueberries and drink some juice about 30 minutes before rolling. Seems to give me a bit more energy.

I wouldn't eat anything heavy though.

havent done much bjj but i find alot of fibre and fruit is a good pre training meal. smoking weed makes training funner too.

He said he is 51, not 12.

A few weeks and it should go away.

Dont eat a big dinner or anything before training. Stay well hydrated.

I thought I was in fairly good shape when I started, however, I was fighting off throwing up in my car after my first few classes.

so dont ever feel like you have to "exercise" or "get in shape" before starting, its a load of Crapola. :) Just go. :)

I'm training at Marcelo Garcia's.
I have to say it's amazing, and so far everything I've been looking for. The people are great, Marcelo, and Paul (the other teacher) are real cool, bjj is an amazing art, I guess I have to learn to be patient and grow.

I'm training at Marcelo Garcia's.
I have to say it's amazing, and so far everything I've been looking for. The people are great, Marcelo, and Paul (the other teacher) are real cool, bjj is an amazing art, I guess I have to learn to be patient and grow.

Cold showers will help with the soreness when you get home. I also recommend stretching. A good diet helps too. Give it some time, it gets easier.

im 28 and not 51 so take it for what it's worth...

make sure you are eating the right foods and eating often. you burn a lot of calories grappling so for me i saw a big difference when i started eating right. i cut out sodas and started eating 5 small meals a day. usually an hour before class i'll eat some tuna or a protein bar. over the course of a training day i'll also drink a gallon of water.

it's also helped me to add a few run days into my week as well. it takes me about 30 - 40 mins to drive home and usually by then i'm able to put in atleast 2 miles before eating dinner.

hope this helps!

due to work i cant fit any food in between lunch and training in the evening so i have started downing a protein bar as soon as i get home from work pre shower,
then off to training

Lots and lots of water well before class. It's easy to dehydrate...and that will fatigue you quick.

Back