1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

New to BJJ need some Advice on strength

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Brynny21, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Brynny21

Brynny21 White Belt

So i started BJJ about 2 months ago and i have to ways to describe it. 1st of , its one of the best decisions i've ever done in my life. the 2nd is OWNEGE. so i've been attending class 4 times a week so far. i know it will take time. ive been working alot on my shrimping, and trying to survive and understanding the fundamentals . however, i have no technique , but i TRY not to use any strength and cheat. im not the biggest dude, iam 5"8 at 170 lb. ive lost weight so far, but im completely getting dominated. its a humbling experience. everyone is helpful at my school. so i started wondering the other day. am i being to nice, because i feel like " man i should have just bodied my way out of this situation". but than again i've been told not to rely on strength because in the long run its not what its about. so if you guys can give me some advice on that and any other thing related to what you remember when you 1st started it be great.

2. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Be nice to people. That's my motto.

I would focus on feeling your opponents weight distribution, grip breaks, and pushing yourself (conditioning). It's hard to remember all the moves so try to use the moves you learned in class, especially the class after your class as it will be hard to pull off something that was just demonstrated to the rest of the class.

3. van1ty

van1ty Banned Banned

proper technique does not mean using no effort. proper technique means applying all of your effort in the most efficient way.

at your level, just try to hit the moves that you drill while rolling.

4. brutal respect

brutal respect Blue Belt

It's hard to critique someones game without seeing it, but some tips I give to beginners are:

Don't get discouraged by losing - it's how you learn.

Now that you've been doing it for two months, start working on trying to escape submissions, or not tapping as soon as someone gets the armbar or choke.. escapes are a good thing to learn. (don't get hurt though.. know when to tap :icon_chee )

Don't rely ONLY on strength to do things, but don't be afraid to be explosive in your escapes especially if you can be explosive and use your strength while maintaining technique.

Shrimp shrimp shrimp

don't be onedimensional. New people tend to always take the match to their strongsuit, whether it's bottom or topgame. you are better off going wherever and learning all positions.

Ask people how they did what they did, what you did wrong, etc.

Have fun!

5. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Using strength is not cheating. It's fine to use strength with technique. I find sometimes new guys who try not to use strength end up not trying at all. It's easy for mre advanced guys to tell the spazzy new guy not to use strength, but to the new guy that might not make sense. Just don't rely on strength. You use strength with technique, not instead of it.

6. Knuckles69

Knuckles69 Purple Belt

I think it's perfectly fine for a new student to use strength. But try to follow a simple rule:

Use strength from your core and hips and not from your arms.

Here's an example. When you're escaping side control use powerful shrimps and bridges when you can. This will help down the road as you'll need powerful core and hip movements to escape from progressively better opponents and training partners. DO NOT try to bench press people off of you when escaping side control. This type of explosive strength might work on someone smaller or less skilled then you, but in the long run you will fail if this becomes a habit.

I find that newbies that come in with the correct attitude about not over utilizing strength take it a bit too far, or that frustration sets in that they start reverting to strength eventually.

Learning to use the explosive strength of your hips and core as soon as possible in your BJJ movements is very important to development.

7. spreadthestoke

spreadthestoke White Belt

im pretty new and i try to use my strength to break posture and explode when i want to transition so its more like short bursts of strength... seems to work so far

8. beanz

beanz White Belt

i have a month in and yea..ownage is right lol but i recognize this is how im gonna learn.

im 6'4 270lbs and have a decent amount of strength but it does not help me at all. im too big to really shrimp under someone and i have a long way to go flexibility wise. i like the advice about core strength tho thats what ive been working on for a few days and what im gonna focus on for the winter.

9. Brynny21

Brynny21 White Belt

lol, man all you guys are right but i laughed when i read this when. they other day, i was in class and i got so frustrated i tried to use brute strength. lol, guess what happen. 2 min later i was exhausted and got caught in an armbar from the mount. and its true im in class and sometimes i try to not use strength it becomes stupid like im not trying. i'll figure it out once i start using good posture and technique. but still i think you need alot of muscle and strength just ask marcelo garcia :)

10. pittelp

pittelp Smokin Joe belt winner

Enjoy it, you'll start to feel when to use 60% and when to use 80% strength and when to use pure technique, keep a good journal with techniques you need to work on and what techniques your getting good at, you will be surprised how far this goes to building a great foundation and helping promote your growth and experience.

11. SLaKKJaW

SLaKKJaW Blue Belt

M.G.'s technique far outweighs his strength, really. It's impeccable. His strength just augments his technique, of course, rather than being his technique.

I definitely think that you should use your strength in class. You need to work that explosiveness as much as possible to increase your gas tank and you need to really see what the leverage of good technique can do for you when you apply your strength. Just like everyone said, tho... don't rely on it.

12. TSD-Bulldog

TSD-Bulldog BJJ Student

As before, selectively use your strength as a component of good technique. Shrimping/elbow escapes are fundamental ways of regaining guard or setting up sweeps. By practicing this over and over again, you will gain the core and hip strength needed. I was in your shoes and responded well to high rep, compound kettlebell movements and interval training while on elliptical/treadmill in order to develop muscle/cardio endurance. Inefficient use of strength will wear out your muscles at which time be prepared to be used as a mop or grappling dummy. Best wishes, you ask a great question (and I no expert, I can simply empathize!).