New to BJJ...How hard should I roll ??

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Game Bred 516, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Game Bred 516

Game Bred 516 White Belt

I've been training BJJ for about six weeks and I'm completely addicted. With that being said I'm a little confused about how intense I should go when I grapple. A little about me; I'm a former Marine and current LEO. I've trained alot in different Self Defense and hand to hand tactics. I love the fact that in BJJ you roll or spar daily, to use the techniques you've learned.

As I train more I am noticing different training partners roll at different levels of intensity. Particularly there is on guy who goes at about 110%. He regularly uses forearms across the face, uses elbows to push of and yesterday even used his fist to push my face down on to the mat. When going for subs, especially arm bars he backs into them 100%. I've grappled everyone in my gym and no one else is like that. My instructor even sometimes told us not to do these types of things, while teaching a technique, because that is "dirty" Jiu Jitsu. this guy obviously doesn't take heed to it. Oh yeah He's also a white belt (3 stripe I believe). No else in my gym rolls this way. (At least the ones I've rolled with)

When ever I roll, I try to use technique and stregnth, as much as I can. I train cause I enjoy it and to learn things I can apply to my profession. To those of you who have been Grappling for a while how do you handle people like this?? or is this how it's supposed to be when you roll in practice? I could do these things also, but I'm not trying to hurt anyone and I don't wanna any injuries either, which is what this willi eventually lead. I haven't said anything to him about it, cause everyone else he rolls with seems to deal with the same thing and doesn't say anything either. Plus I'm the new guy so I don't complain. Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Rjay

Rjay Green Belt

If I don't know the person, I just go as hard as they do. He wants an all-out war, suits me fine. He goes light, I go light. No problem. Although that guy does sound like a douche. I have no problem with cross-facing and anything else I expect to see in competition, but cranking subs is just flat out wrong and your instructor should tell this guy to knock it off.

3. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Go light enough that you can roll continuously for like an hour. You shouldn't be laying on your back and gasping for air after BJJ class. Guys that do that are going too hard.

4. Smokey McPot

Smokey McPot Yellow Belt

i've come across that guy too. just go with the flow, roll with him. test yourself, try to beat him using technique and not by strength. just exert effort at the right moment like going for a sweep or escaping. if it gets out of control, talk to him or tell your instructor. if he doesn't listen, tap him out regularly or try to choke him unconscious.

5. OrcishFighter

OrcishFighter Blue Belt

Rolling hard from time to time is fine and is more representative of what you will get in a tournament. Rolling light is also beneficial so just do both. Crossfacing, pushing the face, using his weight is all fine in my book, cranking sub very fast isnt tho so talk to him/your professor about that part.

6. shez

shez White Belt

i was in a similar situation and still paying the price, my neck is fkd from this idiot neck cranking me during my first week.
    i aim to be doing jiu jitsu untill im old, and rolling with these guys who use dirty/cheap moves rather than technique will see u riddled with injuries will never allow this.
    just refuse to roll with him, fk it.
    if ur lucky one of the guys might have a go at him and he shits himself and never comes back, as what happend in my case.
    treat each others the way in which u want to be treated

7. Rjay

Rjay Green Belt

Hmmm..... you don't have to treat every roll like the finals of the Mundials, but IMO if you're not flat on your back gasping for air by the end of the class you haven't been going hard enough.

8. Game Bred 516

Game Bred 516 White Belt

Yeah the cross facing, isn't to bad, but I received an elbow to the top of my head, that I thought split me open. What really pissed me off though was the arm bar frome the mount, which hyperextended me pretty bad. I rolled 2 more times after that, but I could barely move my right arm. Took about an hour to finally gain full motion of my arm. I actually had completely mounted his back later and flattened him. I choked him, but let it go as soon he tapped. Like I said I dont wanna injure him, but I think eventually I'm gonna have to give him some of his own medicine in return. He's involved in the MMA scene, so I think that might be why he goes so hard.

9. K1HerosNakamura

K1HerosNakamura Black Belt

Honestly the teachers/ blackbelts should deal with this. If someone came to my school wanting to go 200% sooner or later they would end up with a black belt going 200% and be severely humbled. It's happened. As for you, go hard against the guy if you are comfortable playing that game, if you aren't just don't roll with him.

10. peytonlucy

peytonlucy Silver Belt

Tell the guy the truth, especially about the arm bar. Maybe he thinks that you are going 110% too.

11. lacgoal

lacgoal White Belt

We used to only have one guy that would do that, but now we have two! So when it comes time to roll, those two get stuck with each other for most of the time.
    We call these guys TMFF's... Two monkeys F***ing a Football.

Seriously though, if someone is hyperextending or holding out chokes on people, either our instructor or some of the bigger upper level belts take care of the problem. Tell them to quit the shit, then if they keep doing it, it's a beatdown time.
    It's not worth having somebody else get injured to pump up their ego.

Every couple of weeks, our instructor talks about the dirty or d*ck moves that are legal, but should be saved for a tournament if you really want to use them, but really all they do is piss off your opponent. You can always tell when you've rolled with a new person or a TMFF by the new bruises, scratches, and gi burns on your face

12. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I don't know if I agree with that. You do want to push your conditioning in training and build up stamina and muscle endurance. I don't think a new guy should be able to roll for an hour if he's going at a good pace.

I say in training it's good to roll hard, just as long as you control your movements and don't do anything dirty like cranking someone's finger or digging your elbow into their face.

13. johnkreese

johnkreese Brown Belt

TS, I roll at about half strength(if even), and only use my explosiveness when I need to. At white belt, you'll get a basic idea of when to move hastily and when to relax. Plus, the techniques you've been taught should work based on controlling a person's base and using leverage to complete a technique. Powering through techniques will only get you so far, and is a big reason why bigger guys(like I) tend to have a lot of bad habits.

14. dazed863

dazed863 Blue Belt

tough answer... it's really situational.

i say always go 100% with control unless the other person is injured or gassed. if they are it's kinda pointless to go hard... just flow and work on smooth transitions or escapes.

also you don't need to crank submissions.. finish the move but hold yourself off before the person needs to tap. if they want to spaz out and flail out it's a great time to work your transition to another submission. my personal fav is armbar > triangle > armbar > omaplata.

for the spazzy guys i just try and wear them out. either break them down in your guard and keep them there or crush them from the top until they make a mistake. i'm only 170 lbs so it makes me feel good when a spaz completely wears themselves out and has to go sit by the wall.

15. Bunique4life05

Bunique4life05 White Belt

Well I am about to start doing BJJ in couple weeks but I used to do Karate. Now with my experience I have learn to go at your pace but consider the pace of your partner. You will need to swallow your pride and ego if your partner is going faster then you can go. Try to find a middle ground of your partner and your pace should have steady progress. Those every now and then going past your limits is good for progression. The flip side going below your normal pace is good as well as you can fine tune your technique.

Now how you feel after training should be good work out most of time. Those every now and then you should go over your limit and be raising the bar for yourself and what you can do. This will especially help your conditioning and mental toughness. Also if your are interested in competing this is what you should expect. But if your the casual BJJ practitioner it won't kill you to step your game ever now and then.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  16. thereddestruby

thereddestruby Yellow Belt

I roll light, focusing on timing, technique, and fluidity until about 6 weeks before a tournament, where I gradually step it up to 100%. This is the formula regardless of the intensity at which my training partners spar.

If the guy is cranking subs, you should talk to him after class and tell him about what happened. If he is dickish, tell your instructor.

17. Roflolfish

Roflolfish Yellow Belt

i like to go with the flow, and i hate it when guys go crazy and use strength and what not. Theres this one guy in our place that just doesnt realize he needs to slow down and relax. I often get hit or kicked in the face cuz of this guy, i hate rolling with him. Now that i know he rolls like this, i match him up in intensity, and now he tries to pulls guillotine choke when ever he can as much as possible.

oh yeah. not only that but when he pulls the guillotine and what not he doesnt even make sure his arm is positioned correctly, just squeezing the shit outa my teeth. come to think of it even more, this guy really pisses me off.