New to BJJ and need advice.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Bunique4life05, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Bunique4life05

Bunique4life05 White Belt

Hi

I am 23 years old and decide to start doing BJJ in couple of weeks. I am not new to martial arts. I did Karate for several years growing up and even did several months of Aikido. I waiting to receive my new black Koral Light A2 Gi. Hopefully I will be able to give a good review on that gi. When I get a bit of experience under my belt. I bought the gi from JJPG. I recommend JJPG especially if you live in Cali as you get nice discount from them and more importantly they are really helpful.

Now I am pretty familiar with how martial arts schools go but it's been a while since I have done any martial arts. So I need some advice on avoiding the beginner mistakes one will make and also need heads up on common bad habits a new BJJ practitioner will tend to have. My goal is to compete at high level not trying to go pro or anything just want to be a serious competitor. But it just be fun as hell.

P.S I know it takes one to make mistakes to learn how to improve.

2. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I would suggest a white gi to start off with, just for perception.

Just go in with a positive attitude, don't act like you know anything, and don't get a big head. Train hard and work on the techniques the instructor teaches. Most of all, stay consistent.

Best of luck to you.

3. Bunique4life05

Thanks. I just got my Koral Light Gi...sorry it's in black...lol.

4. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Yeah it's no big deal. It's just that from the perspective of the long-time students, you get this new guy walking in with a fancy new black gi and all. I've been training 5 years and only ever owned white gi's. But that might just be a personal preference on my part.

5. All In The Game

All In The Game Green Belt

Clean gi for every class...
    Listen, ask questions...

That's pretty much all you need to know.

6. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

I waited two years to get a gi that wasn't white.

I've seen new people walk in with black gis.

You can basically wear what you want, but there is just something that makes people a little aggressive when they see a brand noob wearing a $350 black Lucky gi.

7. Bunique4life05

I did think about that but school is very ego friendly but I will be more aware that if I ever have be the FNG at another school. But besides minor issue on gi.

Is there anything that people would wished they knew as white belt first off than rather later?

8. insomniacl

insomniacl Blue Belt

Use technique over strength; gi is a slower pace, so don't get too annoyed by people who just grip and hold

9. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

Where do you train at in Cali?

10. Bunique4life05

Going to start a Waza BJJ the instuctor is Derick DiManno trained and recieved his black belt from Cassio Werneck.

11. Bunique4life05

Going to start a Waza BJJ the instuctor is Derick DiManno trained and recieved his black belt from Cassio Werneck. (Sacramento)

12. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

Sweet, that should be pretty good.

13. AwesomeSquad

AwesomeSquad Orange Belt

Don't try to muscle everything, go slow and don't spazz. It's a good way to get yourself or your training partner injured.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  14. Stoupe

Stoupe Brown Belt

Ask questions and make friends, you learn a lot from working with other students too specially the higher belts.

15. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

read my sig.....

16. Davii

Davii Blue Belt

Just realize your other martial arts mean absolutely nothing. I always compare BJJ closer to a sport than a traditional martial art. The closest thing might be wrestling practice.

You will find a places that have more norms like tying your belt away from the instructor, bowing onto the mats etc., but the feel of the class is still more sport oriented than a TMA.

Anyway, good luck

17. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

I've seen you post this opinion before, and now I really understand why when you say perspective of the long-time students. Good point.

I guess it struck me, because I bought a black Koral Classic for my first bjj gi (great gi), and I guess when I bought it, the thought never even occured to me. I just liked the gi. But for me, it doesn't really matter much from the perspective point, as I'm one of only like 3 people that I know of in a city of 6 million people that practises bjj. The other guys are a blue and a brown belt, and they know I suck, so it's all good.

I think if I have anyone gunning for me on the mat it would be because I'm a foreigner, not because of my gi. But I pretty much avoid that since I don't walk around with an attitude or whatever, I guess. I think it's more of your attitude and the way you carry yourself than the gi you wear. Oh oh, I'm babbling.

TS, have fun with your training. It's the most addictive thing I've ever come across. No joke. Oh yeah, and drink LOTS of water, stay away from junk food, wash your gi after every class, keep your toe and fingernails clipped, and tap. A lot. Oh yeah, and don't be a spazz. When you get caught in a sub and feel the pressure from a choke or lock, tap. Don't try to muscle out of it or be stubborn.

I wish I would have gotten into bjj and judo ten years ago. Now at 33, think of how good I'd be...

18. Bunique4life05

I just try on my new gi. Be warn I am noob and have not rolled with it. This is just my first impression of gi. Color is not as vibrate as picture shows below. Which is fine because most products never look as good in person in my opinion.

A less vain view of the gi. The cut they would fits me perfectly. Now I was debating on this gi against the Vulkan Pro Light and went her for research. Furthermore I talk to JJPG.com and resolved most misnomers. Those they did give me heads up that from the feedback they get. They say the cut gi fits people with average build. Now that concern because I am 5'9" and 156 pounds. But I have 74 inch reach so basically 5'9" body with 6' guy's arms. They recommend trying the A3 gi for a little room but the A2 fits perfectly. Note I am slim but I would say A1 would be bad fit. I weighed myself with gi on and went from 156.8 no gi to 160.6 so gi to me is light and I mean very light. I weighed myself nothing fancy weight machine.The gi properly weighs close to advertise 3.45lbs not 3.8lb from numbers I got.

[​IMG]

Not the best pictures in world but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those all in all the gi is top notch and I will give more in depth review when I start rolling with it. I got it from JJPG.com.

19. Bunique4life05

I agree with that a 100 percent but aikido is in same branch as Judo, Jiu Jistu and BJJ. On the principle of using your opponents force or leverage against them those techniques differ greatly obviously.

20. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

True.