New student that is just a straight beast

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by platfox, Oct 27, 2010.

1. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

So there's a new guy that just joined our gym. He has some knowledge of combat sports (mostly striking) but has absolutely zero ground game. Dude is ripped, athletic and seems to be picking up techniques pretty fast. Real nice and respectful guy.

How do you guys usually treat new teammates like this. Do you spend extra time with him because of his potential or do you let him learn at the same pace as everyone else? Should he take his lumps as a newb so he can feel humbled? There may be a risk if he starts tapping out 3-4 stripe whitebelts after his 1st month that he might develop an ego.

I have two main instructors and in the past they have been on opposite sides of the fence on this type of situation.

2. Bathwater

Bathwater Let me clean you with my love

My advice would be to sleep with him and collect his seed. Once you have enough (approx. 5-8 ounces), ingest it and you will acquire his abilities.

But seriously, if someone's a nice guy, then I'll be nice to him. If he starts acting like a douche, then he gets treated accordingly. I think for the most part, school instructors will straighten out the arrogant assholes.

3. ShindoNinja

ShindoNinja faixa marrom

^ offside but hilarious.

It's true, newbs get treated exactly how they act. We have a new young kid, I always hear him saying stuff like "well, I could take anyone my own size". He is also talking a goofing around with his friend while the instructor is teaching. He also tries to "teach" techniques to other students or if I teach a technique to the class, he calls me over to show how he "did his own little thing" to the technique. Needless to say he gets allot of knee on belly from me when we roll. Unfortunately he gets to learn the hard way. If a student comes in humble, it's a fast track to learning imo.

4. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

This guy doesn't seem to be a douche/know it all/goofball. Part of my concern is that he won't respect bjj and think its too easy and give up on it. We can't always place him with colored belts to humble him. There's going to be times that he rolls with whitebelts (which makes up a majority of our class).

If he hangs around for more than a couple months I would (as would my instructors) do everything to make sure he reaches his potential. This is only concerning his first month or so of training.

5. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Depends on his attitude.

We had an experienced kickboxer who was training for amateur MMA fights come train with us to work on his ground game. He was 210 pounds of solid muscle and just an incredible athlete. He was able to dominate most of our white belts after like a couple weeks of training. Very difficult to hold down, and could just explode out of most guys' armbars and triangles. But the thing is, he was super nice and humble, so everyone went out of their way to help him work on his game.

If he came in with a chip on his shoulder, challenging guys, going rough, and not being respectful or listening to advice, it would have gone differently.

But if your guy is nice and respectful, it's best to try to work with him and develop his potential. He's still got to take his lumps, but if he's learning faster than anyone else, he should be encouraged, not held back.

6. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

My coach for nogi thought he saw some talent in me on the ground and tried to fast track me a little bit before realising that he was going too fast and I was progressing slower than people who were getting the basics solid before moving on.

7. Poison Tree

Poison Tree Orange Belt

You are obviously very attracted to this guy, take it slow tho, he might not be a that way inclined even though you posting on the internet about how amazed you are by another mans body you know in real life, says something.

good luck with it, hope he makes you very happy

8. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Gay jokes about bjj, how original.

9. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

regardless of how athletic a guy is, good basics are the only foundation that guarantees success down the road. It's not enough to do something well once or twice because you're athletic...you have to do it until it's reflexive.

10. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

lol i like where this thread is going

11. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Yellow Belt

Why do you feel the need to humble him when he is not acting up? You said he was real nice and respectful so I'm sure he respects the sport. BJJ is not easy but if he gains that mentality and develops an ego its his own problem. Seems to me the guy is grasping concepts quickly and is able to apply them. Teach him and help him grow. You never get around "taking lumps". He just doesn't take as many as others.

12. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

As I've been told...
    Humbling new students is simply a way to remind people that bjj isn't a sport that can be mastered quickly. I don't want him to think bjj is easy and quit after he taps a few guys.

By humbling, I didn't mean to smash on him, put him in his place, embarrass him or anything like that. I just meant should he be getting the same amount of instruction as the other students or should he get extra instruction (after class or during open mat).

edit: as you and redaxe mentioned...encourage and help him grow. Of course that will definitely be the plan. Its what we do with all students. We don't hold anyone back. We treat everyone like a teammate. Just how soon do we start to fast track him?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  13. IxiaN

IxiaN Black Belt

when i was a white belt we had this wrestler to join the class who was hella strong and when you would roll with him he would attack you like an animal. no technique just all power and physicality, he was beating everyone with made up moves. I told him that he needed to not go 100% and that if that's how he chooses to grapple that's fine but he's never going to get better b/c he's not learning anything.

14. IxiaN

IxiaN Black Belt

if anything more time needs to be spent with the students not learning as fast as this guy

15. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Autumn Rose Staff Member Forum Administrator

It's not your job to mold the development of someone else's ego.

If he's polite and respectful, that's all he owes anyone.

If he's demolishing people and you're not sure how to handle it, that's your own ego talking.

My advice: keep helping him learn as much as you can/want to. Everyone has a different ceiling, help him reach his and don't be bitter if he blows by you one day.

That said, if he gets out of line, sic the dogs on him. :D

16. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Yellow Belt

Well in that case, it depends on what his goals are. Does he want to be competitive in BJJ? I feel like people who regularly go out into competition should get a bit more attention during rolls nearing competition time. After all, they will be a representation (bad or good) of your school.

17. stev7467

stev7467 White Belt

If he is a nice and respectable guy then he is probably already humble. Each guy is different though. If he does get an ego then give em his lumps and if not then continue to spend more and more time with him. That way you can play both angles. A mix between your two instructors. Just my opinion.

18. ProdigyOfZen

ProdigyOfZen Orange Belt

It kinda sounds like the TS is a little afraid of the guy. If he helps him a ton and the guy gets much better than he may possibly beat the TS? After all the guy said the class is mostly white belts which leads me to believe it is a relatively new school with few colored belts.

Just help him out man, if you are the coach/teacher/instructor you just lucked into a guy who can promote your school if he gets really really good at competitions etc.

In my school I would say I learn faster than most and have a natural ability on the ground, I could beat guys heavier than me with 3-4 stripes on their white belt when I was 1-2 months in and I am by no means ripped etc. Just 190 lbs and was not in the best shape. Instructors usually spend the most time on students who SPEND the most time in class. If they are there 6 times a week for multiple classes then people pay attention to them.

19. cenix

cenix Orange Belt

i think this is well said.

if he is smashing other higher ranked students in a bona fide manner (technique and not necessarily hulk-smash style) then it needs to be recongnized. vice versa, if he is doing it with brute force, it needs to be corrected and taught properly. there shouldn't be an ounce of anyone's ego involved in this.

20. Eastside

Eastside White Belt

My instructor always says "you cant use your god given abillity as a replacement for your technique, as in strength speed or flexibility only to enhance your technique" so basically his athleticism is only going to take him so far