New Smashing Pumpkins is Aight

The strippers were nice to look at in the video at least. But this ain't it chief. Need more Mellon Collie... Less of this.

As most SP fans that have been following the band since the early 1990s will tell you that their new up and coming double album (Cyr, which will be released on November 27th) isn't anything out of the ordinary.

They put out Siamese Dream in 93' with songs like:

Cherub Rock

Quiet

Today

Rocket

Soma (starting at 3:30)

Mayonaise

which all have that distinct Smashing Pumpkins distortion, those songs are Alternative rock, through and through. Some of those songs also include some very tasty solos (in particular Quiet & Soma @4:23) by Corgan who has always been in my opinion an underrated guitarist.

Then they come out with Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness in 95' with songs like:

Bullet with Butterfly Wings

Zero

Muzzle

which is quintessential Smashing Pumpkins, but even more heavy rock than what was on Siamese Dream.

Then songs showed up like:

Tonight Tonight

OK, different from Siamese Dream and the other cuts from MCIS but nothing too drastic.

But then there are songs such as:

Thirty-Three

Cupid De Locke

By Starlight

which made people go: Whoa, hang on here... what's this? It's a whole different side to the Smashing Pumpkins.

Then Adore comes in 1998 with songs like:

Ava Adore

which sounds sorta familiar to a "typical" SP song sounds like, but then there are songs such as:

Perfect

Crestfallen

Daphne Descends

which sound like they could be tracks from their new album, 20+ years in the future.

Once Upon A Time

is a folk song.

In 2000 they release Machina/The Machines of God with songs like:

The Everlasting Gaze

which again, sounds like they have returned to their ALT Rock roots, but then:

Stand Inside Your Love

is the next single off the album which sounds like it could have been an Adore song.

Try, Try, Try, their 3rd single from the album sounds even more different.

After this SP broke up in December of 2000 and Corgan went on to form a new band "Zwan" (2003) and after that, a solo album (TheFutureEmbrace in 2005 and anyone who has listened to that album would also not be surprised by songs of the new upcoming album) and once SP got back together (Corgan/Chamberlain) they recorded the 'Zeitgeist' album which was released in 2007, with such songs as Dooms Day Clock and Tarantula, the album seemed like SP was returning back to their roots.

Then in 2009, they released Teargarden by Kaleidyscope with songs like:

A Song for a Son

Widow Wake My Mind

which sounds like they could have been on the Adore album.

Freak U.S.A.

is the standout track, for me.

Monuments to an Elegy came out in 2014

Being Beige

then you have a song like:

One and All (We are)

and then:

Run2Me

and this song:

Drum + Fife

4 songs, all very different on the same album.

Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 was released in 2018

Seek and You Shall Destroy

Knights of Malta

With Sympathy

and my favorite track off the album:

Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts)

Again, 4 songs on the same album (and this album only has 8 tracks) and very different... at this point, what IS quintessential Smashing Pumpkins?

That is one of my favorite things about being a Smashing Pumpkins fan, so much variety in just about every album and the musicianship is world-class.

The new album doesn't (or shouldn't) come as a surprise for anyone who has kept up with them for any length of time, for those it does come as a surprise to just haven't been listening long enough or close enough.

And just as a side note the Smashing Pumpkins are working on a 33 song “rock opera” sequel to Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness designed to complete a trilogy of records that began with Mellon Collie and continued with 2000’s Machina/The Machines Of God.

Probably around 2022... SP fans, rejoice!

TL;DR: If the sound of the new album comes as a surprise to anyone then they haven't been listening long enough or close enough.

Might be off topic, but my favorite Pumpkins song is “Eye” from “Lost Highway” soundtrack. An underrated gem.

Eh, I don't think his voice works on that track.

The strippers were nice to look at in the video at least. But this ain't it chief. Need more Mellon Collie... Less of this.

I don't think he'll ever write the same kind of songs as he did back then. Too rich. Too into the smell of his own farts.

Eh, I don't think his voice works on that track.

He's been mixing his vocals way too dry and upfront in the mix ever since they reformed for Zeitgeist.

As most SP fans that have been following the band since the early 1990s will tell you that their new up and coming double album (Cyr, which will be released on November 27th) isn't anything out of the ordinary.

They put out Siamese Dream in 93' with songs like:

Cherub Rock

Quiet

Today

Rocket

Soma (starting at 3:30)

Mayonaise

which all have that distinct Smashing Pumpkins distortion, those songs are Alternative rock, through and through. Some of those songs also include some very tasty solos (in particular Quiet & Soma @4:23) by Corgan who has always been in my opinion an underrated guitarist.

Then they come out with Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness in 95' with songs like:

Bullet with Butterfly Wings

Zero

Muzzle

which is quintessential Smashing Pumpkins, but even more heavy rock than what was on Siamese Dream.

Then songs showed up like:

Tonight Tonight

OK, different from Siamese Dream and the other cuts from MCIS but nothing too drastic.

But then there are songs such as:

Thirty-Three

Cupid De Locke

By Starlight

which made people go: Whoa, hang on here... what's this? It's a whole different side to the Smashing Pumpkins.

Then Adore comes in 1998 with songs like:

Ava Adore

which sounds sorta familiar to a "typical" SP song sounds like, but then there are songs such as:

Perfect

Crestfallen

Daphne Descends

which sound like they could be tracks from their new album, 20+ years in the future.

Once Upon A Time

is a folk song.

In 2000 they release Machina/The Machines of God with songs like:

The Everlasting Gaze

which again, sounds like they have returned to their ALT Rock roots, but then:

Stand Inside Your Love

is the next single off the album which sounds like it could have been an Adore song.

Try, Try, Try, their 3rd single from the album sounds even more different.

After this SP broke up in December of 2000 and Corgan went on to form a new band "Zwan" (2003) and after that, a solo album (TheFutureEmbrace in 2005 and anyone who has listened to that album would also not be surprised by songs of the new upcoming album) and once SP got back together (Corgan/Chamberlain) they recorded the 'Zeitgeist' album which was released in 2007, with such songs as Dooms Day Clock and Tarantula, the album seemed like SP was returning back to their roots.

Then in 2009, they released Teargarden by Kaleidyscope with songs like:

A Song for a Son

Widow Wake My Mind

which sounds like they could have been on the Adore album.

Freak U.S.A.

is the standout track, for me.

Monuments to an Elegy came out in 2014

Being Beige

then you have a song like:

One and All (We are)

and then:

Run2Me

and this song:

Drum + Fife

4 songs, all very different on the same album.

Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 was released in 2018

Seek and You Shall Destroy

Knights of Malta

With Sympathy

and my favorite track off the album:

Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts)

Again, 4 songs on the same album (and this album only has 8 tracks) and very different... at this point, what IS quintessential Smashing Pumpkins?

That is one of my favorite things about being a Smashing Pumpkins fan, so much variety in just about every album and the musicianship is world-class.

The new album doesn't (or shouldn't) come as a surprise for anyone who has kept up with them for any length of time, for those it does come as a surprise to just haven't been listening long enough or close enough.

And just as a side note the Smashing Pumpkins are working on a 33 song “rock opera” sequel to Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness designed to complete a trilogy of records that began with Mellon Collie and continued with 2000’s Machina/The Machines Of God.

Probably around 2022... SP fans, rejoice!

TL;DR: If the sound of the new album comes as a surprise to anyone then they haven't been listening long enough or close enough.

How about Gish? Some hipsters say that was their only good album.

Back