New slang is annoying

This. What makes it cringeworthy to me is that it’s been adopted by suburban white kids and social media celebrities lol.

10 to 20 years ago when white people were appropriating black urban culture (I can’t believe I just said that) we as a society viewed it as cringe: Marky Mark, Kevin Federline, Vanilla Ice.
But now it’s become common place and isn’t met with criticism from anyone other than fringe activists

This has been going on since the mid-1800s. (minstrelsy, etc.)

I wrote about this several times over the years. Here is a shorter version.

Since the early 1900s, USA slang came from black musicians and criminals (jazz, etc. and later hip hop, pimps, drug dealers, etc.) and itinerant white people (pro gamblers, carnies, circus folk, hoboes, criminals, military). Except for some occupational jargon, a vast majority of slang is from those sources. So, to say it's a NEW thing for whites to glom onto Black slang is totally inaccurate. It was new maybe when your great-great-grandmother was doing the Charleston and drinking out of a flask.

It is somewhat hypocritical for your grandmother and father to use slang from the 30s, 40s, and 50s ("cool" and the like), yet castigate their younger relatives for using new slang. An intrinsic part of slang is that it is constantly morphing.

So, unless you use NO SLANG WHATSOVER, what the FUCK are you doing arguing about what slang a person uses?

Ion care bout y'all haters. This new slang be bussin suh. No cap.

Even though I wrote the above reply, I didn't want to make it seem that all slang was great.

Some slang is just dumb-sounding to my ears.
Nicely walked back. I think we all deep down realize it’s just as fair to criticize as to not; it’s just no one likes being called out, even by their own standards.

Righty right, you're just a baboochka. Nadsat is rather horrorshow .

Kidding. Actual new slang is not my cup of tea either.

This has been going on since the mid-1800s. (minstrelsy, etc.)

I wrote about this several times over the years. Here is a shorter version.

Since the early 1900s, USA slang came from black musicians and criminals (jazz, etc. and later hip hop, pimps, drug dealers, etc.) and itinerant white people (pro gamblers, carnies, circus folk, hoboes, criminals, military). Except for some occupational jargon, a vast majority of slang is from those sources. So, to say it's a NEW thing for whites to glom onto Black slang is totally inaccurate. It was new maybe when your great-great-grandmother was doing the Charleston and drinking out of a flask.

It is somewhat hypocritical for your grandmother and father to use slang from the 30s, 40s, and 50s ("cool" and the like), yet castigate their younger relatives for using new slang. An intrinsic part of slang is that it is constantly morphing.

So, unless you use NO SLANG WHATSOVER, what the FUCK are you doing arguing about what slang a person uses?
See that slang was cool. White kids using todays slang is lame.
Its not that deep though lol relax, vanilla ice. No one asked for a research paper

image.png

Ive just come to say I hate the kids of today, stupid clothes, stupid slang, and worst of all stupid fucking hair, half mop half shaved patrick mahomes bullshit, you look like a dick, fuck you.

That is all.

Back