New SJW buzzword: "white wounding"

Why are you burying your head in the sand, obviously being a white male is taboo in most universities.

I think I'll see if my Department Head will create a safe space for my fellow white male faculty members (i.e. half the department).

I think if you tried to create such a "white male" safe space overtly, you'd find your career path significantly shortened. "Trans white male," then you might survive. "Reptile-lover," then you are golden.

It's okay to "be" a white male in the sense of decrying that identity, but to celebrate and seek to further the interests of that identity -- in public form at the university -- would be somewhat tantamount to jumping in a bucket of acid, professionally speaking. The identity only exists, in public format within university discourse, as a punching bag and object of blame, to be ritually disavowed and apologized for. You are allowed to have it, but not to "be" it.

This doesn't mean that one should glorify the identity either, of course, quite the reverse, just to point out that all of this retardation springs forth from identity politics and a fetishizing of identity categories.

Incidentally, along those lines, it's interesting that your department is half white male. Who is the other half? Inquiring minds wish to know what social forces have prevailed over the white male supremacy contingent.

I think if you tried to create such a "white male" safe space overtly, you'd find your career path significantly shortened. "Trans white male," then you might survive. "Reptile-lover," then you are golden.

It's okay to be a white male in the sense of decrying that identity, but to celebrate and seek to further the interests of that identity -- in public form at the university -- would be somewhat tantamount to jumping in a bucket of acid, professionally speaking. The identity only exists, in public format within university discourse, as a punching bag and object of blame, to be ritually disavowed and apologized for.

This doesn't mean that one should glorify the identity either, of course, quite the reverse, just to point out that all of this retardation springs forth from identity politics and a fetishizing of identity categories.

*Applause*

SWJ is just a mindless pejorative leveled against anyone even slightly to the left of socially conservative reactionaries. It means less than nothing at this point.

It is all really weird to me. Granted I've always been housed within biology or other STEM departments but I've been on university campuses for two decades now, counting undergrad, and I really don't know what the fuck these people are talking about.

Maybe the shit they point to is what's "loudest" on Twitter but it is utterly irrelevant day-to-day on universities. Is there any discussion of discrimination and disparities, sure. That's all data driven though.

Well if you've never seen it at your university then of course it doesn't exist.

Inb4 Dochter tears you a new one :)

What are you his cheerleader ? jeez dude put down your pom poms :icon_lol:

They're anecdotes, actually. And yes, you did complain about the status of white males and them being denied when you stated being a white male was practically taboo. If you didn't mean taboo, maybe you should learn what the words you use mean rather than getting bent out of shape when someone reads what you post.

Ill clarify for you and apologize for my casual use of the word taboo. Since youre saying you thought i meant that white faculty and white students were being turned away i will once again point to my links where white people are being demonized and discriminated against within universities. Its a fact. It is happening. The links ive provided are reliable and true. There are many more incidents just like those happening all the time.

It is all really weird to me. Granted I've always been housed within biology or other STEM departments but I've been on university campuses for two decades now, counting undergrad, and I really don't know what the fuck these people are talking about.

Maybe the shit they point to is what's "loudest" on Twitter but it is utterly irrelevant day-to-day on universities. Is there any discussion of discrimination and disparities, sure. That's all data driven though.

So because you didnt see it where you are its not happening ? Listen im not saying that whites have or are experiencing any kind of discrimination that the non whites have. Not at all. Im just pointing out a growing trend that is happening. I dont think that the true path to equality for all is to attack any one group by demonizing or ostracizing them. It only creates a larger divide and or will just reverse roles. Is that what we as a society are looking for ? I dont think so. But i do think its what these radical anti white faculty and students are looking for and thats wrong.

Tightbunsaresoreass sex. Oh, and heal societies gash white wounders.

It's okay to "be" a white male in the sense of decrying that identity, but to celebrate and seek to further the interests of that identity -- in public form at the university -- would be somewhat tantamount to jumping in a bucket of acid, professionally speaking. The identity only exists, in public format within university discourse, as a punching bag and object of blame, to be ritually disavowed and apologized for. You are allowed to have it, but not to "be" it.

Incidentally, along those lines, it's interesting that your department is half white male. Who is the other half? Inquiring minds wish to know what social forces have prevailed over the white male supremacy contingent.

Good post actually.

You know, you CAN say you are proud to be a while male. You just have to do it. You can't be afraid, and it helps if you aren't doing it with hatred in your heart. It's white guys saying they can't do it that's half the problem. Just do it.

You know, you CAN say you are proud to be a while male. You just have to do it. You can't be afraid, and it helps if you aren't doing it with hatred in your heart. It's white guys saying they can't do it that's half the problem. Just do it.

I actually see no point in being proud of something I did not contribute to.

But I likewise see no point im being ashamed of it.

It's funny, I'm liberal on a lot of issues and here in the WR am generally seen as very liberal. Hell I even protest voted against Obama because I don't think he's liberal enough (in this forum that puts me to the left of Marx, somehow).

Nonetheless, I never hear about any of this "SJW" crap except from outraged paleoconservatives who feel their societal position is threatened. This shit is largely irrelevant, why get so bothered by it? There are real issues of concern out there.
This is exactly what I always say.

I never hear about these things anywhere except from the anti-SJW crowd. And then when I go looking to see what other groups are saying or promoting on the idea, it's always just more of the same - people who are ostensibly against sjw's gossiping about something that even sjw's seem to be ignoring.

The craziest part is that these people are screaming about the culture of victimhood by going out of their way to paint themselves as victims.

Its mostly just young people who are incredibly impotent relative to the noise they make. These sorts of movements have made some changes, like using the rape hysteria to pressure Universities into setting up the kangaroo courts on rape, but in the grand scheme of things its not much. As a young white male, the prime target for these courts, you can avoid this relatively minuscule risk by just skipping college and going into trade schools or a PD/FD and voila, no feminist harpies to maybe, possibly, probably-not falsely accuse ou of rape plus you get better job security and no student debt.

Instead these people are much more concerned with whether or not summer blockbusters are sexist. We millennials are likely uniquely wrong in some ways but more probably not unlike idealistic young people of the past with just more of a voice because of the internet and the recent social media boom.

You guys need to chill out. Every little thing seems to get you outraged.

Ill clarify for you and apologize for my casual use of the word taboo. Since youre saying you thought i meant that white faculty and white students were being turned away i will once again point to my links where white people are being demonized and discriminated against within universities. Its a fact. It is happening. The links ive provided are reliable and true. There are many more incidents just like those happening all the time.
White males are not being discriminated all the time within universities. There are occasionally things like the one professor you linked to but that's not representative. There's not a "growing trend" with any substance like you mentioned in another part of your post. The degree to which feminism has "taken over" universities extends to pushes toward getting paid parental leave for male and female faculty. The degree to which some sort of emphasis on ethnic diversity has taken over is to maybe take that into account when looking at your top five candidates for a faculty spot (out of over a hundred). You certainly can point to a few egregious examples of how Title IX has been applied (a scary one was recently reported on in Chron. Higher Ed) but those too are rare.

This whole thread reminds me of how Atheist's entire perspective of liberalism and feminism was based on his experiences within a native studies department. You fuckers don't know what you're talking about and base your rage on random shit from twitter. There are over two thousand 4 year universities in the US.

Why would I be proud of something that's entirely due to chance?

Well if you've never seen it at your university then of course it doesn't exist.
I've been at more than one university. Admittedly that's also anecdotal but this really is just the typical hysteria we see on these sorts of issues, hysteria that's been ongoing for decades.

Oh no, a somewhat crass female african-american professor said something on twitter! Is that really demonstrative of a trend? No, absolutely not.

Do you think its stupid for blacks to express black pride?
I understand (a bit) why and how that movement got started but I think it is equally silly.

I've been at more than one university. Admittedly that's also anecdotal but this really is just the typical hysteria we see on these sorts of issues, hysteria that's been ongoing for decades.

Oh no, a somewhat crass female african-american professor said something on twitter! Is that really demonstrative of a trend? No, absolutely not.

Yeah... the idea that "being a white male is practically taboo", or that articles like this represent the "intellectual wing" of "liberalism", is about on par for ridiculousness with the article itself.

Do you think its stupid for blacks to express black pride?

I do. Pride of skin color is stupid unless you got a sun tan you worked on the entire season.

Yeah... the idea that "being a white male is practically taboo", or that articles like this represent the "intellectual wing" of "liberalism", is about on par for ridiculousness with the article itself.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/08/bernie-sanders-blacklivesmatter-free-speech.html

Absent from the calculation on either side is a normative debate over shutting down political speeches. Nolan made very clear his belief that his only problem with the method is that it has been used against a politician he likes. But maybe there is a more important question here than mere tactics. Perhaps shutting down a political speech is, normatively, wrong.

Chait kindof outlines the difference between a "liberal" and a "leftist" regarding social justice and whatnot. Thought you might enjoy.

I do. Pride of skin color is stupid unless you got a sun tan you worked on the entire season.

I think this is backwards. You should be able to be proud of your heritage, which often includes the colour of your skin. This should be acceptable for white people as it is for other races, it's just that people are so scared of being labelled a racist that they don't declare it.

Being ashamed of who you are because of what your ancestors did is stupid, just as it's stupid to express sympathy at someone for what their ancestors went through.

Back