New Ryan Hall interview

Obviously he’s a smart guy. I think he’s doing the right thing wanting to fight up in the rankings rather than crush cans. Like he mentioned, anyone on any night can win. He feels he warrants a ranked opponent so why take chances crushing cans? That won’t raise him in the rankings. A loss to someone with a wild haymaker could set him back big time or for good. Seems he doesn’t fight for the money, so why not wait and just keep honing his skills.

He has a terrible image/reputation from the fight with an over the hill Maynard.

He lost in the TUF quarter finals, and was only in the finals after the guy who beat him couldn’t get a visa. The person he beat in the finals had a previous loss (or didn’t win his fight to get in. Can’t remember. Anyway, it’s a running joke that Lobov is still in the UFC).

Why does he think he’s top 15?

How much better is he getting without getting in the ring?

He must know the Maynard fight likely disgusted White. Whether we like it or not, you have to appeal to White, and that means you have to have at least a little appeal to the casuals.

My guess is the UFC is going to hide him on Fightpass anyway to fulfil whatever contract obligations they had from TUF. They are probably happy he’s turning down fights.

He has a terrible image/reputation from the fight with an over the hill Maynard.

He lost in the TUF quarter finals, and was only in the finals after the guy who beat him couldn’t get a visa. The person he beat in the finals had a previous loss (or didn’t win his fight to get in. Can’t remember. Anyway, it’s a running joke that Lobov is still in the UFC).

Why does he think he’s top 15?

How much better is he getting without getting in the ring?

He must know the Maynard fight likely disgusted White. Whether we like it or not, you have to appeal to White, and that means you have to have at least a little appeal to the casuals.

My guess is the UFC is going to hide him on Fightpass anyway to fulfil whatever contract obligations they had from TUF. They are probably happy he’s turning down fights.

I think there’s a lot of truth to what you’re saying in regards to his wins and also being popular. He mentioned he has a lot of social
media followers as one of his reasons why he can be a draw (a lotnof thise followers are from bjj and a lot of those followers may not even watch mma) but fact of the matter is, he did have a couple boring fights and he has a potential to have more. His style is going to either be flashy grappling or pretty boring to the casuals.

Ryan is a true martial artist. He trains hard and is disciplined. If anyone can improve outside the cage, I think he can.

A negative for Ryan’s choices right now, imo. When he sees well executed techniques, I think he thinks the crowd / casuals appreciate it also. But crowds/casuals/hardcore fans all prefer a left hook KO over almost anything else. Even Rogan goes nuts when he sees a KO compared to a slick submission.

But, back to him holding out for ranked contenders. I still agree with Uchi’s post above. Give him some really tough guys like Gilbert Melendez who have their backs against the wall and can’t turn down a fight. I don’t know where Gilbert is ranked but he is definitely a name and will get Ryan in the mix with the ranked guys.

Last thing about Ryan. He seems to be very smart, I think he is incredibly calculated in everything he does. I trust he has a plan and he will eventually get his way. I just hope he not only comes out with a couple wins but they are exciting fights because the UFC forgets about grapplers real quick.

I think there’s a lot of truth to what you’re saying in regards to his wins and also being popular. He mentioned he has a lot of social
media followers as one of his reasons why he can be a draw (a lotnof thise followers are from bjj and a lot of those followers may not even watch mma) but fact of the matter is, he did have a couple boring fights and he has a potential to have more. His style is going to either be flashy grappling or pretty boring to the casuals.

Ryan is a true martial artist. He trains hard and is disciplined. If anyone can improve outside the cage, I think he can.

A negative for Ryan’s choices right now, imo. When he sees well executed techniques, I think he thinks the crowd / casuals appreciate it also. But crowds/casuals/hardcore fans all prefer a left hook KO over almost anything else. Even Rogan goes nuts when he sees a KO compared to a slick submission.

But, back to him holding out for ranked contenders. I still agree with Uchi’s post above. Give him some really tough guys like Gilbert Melendez who have their backs against the wall and can’t turn down a fight. I don’t know where Gilbert is ranked but he is definitely a name and will get Ryan in the mix with the ranked guys.

Last thing about Ryan. He seems to be very smart, I think he is incredibly calculated in everything he does. I trust he has a plan and he will eventually get his way. I just hope he not only comes out with a couple wins but they are exciting fights because the UFC forgets about grapplers real quick.

Meléndez is no joke, how is Ryan going to beat him?

Realistically, he probably wouldn't. But it would be the chance at a name fighter he seems to want.

To be fair, no one thought he was going to beat Grey. Let alone kick him in the face 25 times. I could see Melandez saying- "F this guy and his grappling, Imma choke him out" and end up getting heel hooked.

I don’t think Ryan would beat Gilbert either but Gilbert is the type of level fighter Ryan wants. He speaks about guys ahead of him turning down fights against him, guys like Gilbert won’t have that luxury.

I mean, just look at Khabib for an example; the guy was undefeated and putting beatdowns on guys left and right, but it still wasn't until a 5 fight win streak in the UFC that he got booked with a top contender in the form of Dos Anjos, and an 8 fight win streak altogether including that before he got booked for a title fight.

At the end if the day, if he wants to be a fighter, and it is his decision is to be a fighter... then you gotta fight.

Last edited:
Back