New Ryan Hall Instructionals

wow, you are gonna put up pics of your dolls! that is great, i am percolating with anticipation.

did you start training yet or are you still wasting money on a hobby you do not participate in?

seriously, get to a gym

I already have put up the pictures. I'll be taking more this weekend & I'll have new pics of some of the new stuff by the end of this weekend. I don't take any offense to your comments though, thanks for reading my post.

Budovideos and wma both set a high standard with their instructions from a production stand point.Budovideos has the advantage in extras that they own the rights to a lot of ibjjf footage. Wma did include footage from adcc on their first Marcelo instructional but i cant think of any other instructionals they have done it.

At the end of the day the most important thing is the quality of the teaching imo. I don't care if the instructional is shot in a garage if the material taught is great.

Ryans is a great teacher and he will most likely put out a great instructional no matter who produces it.

wow, you are gonna put up pics of your dolls! that is great, i am percolating with anticipation.

did you start training yet or are you still wasting money on a hobby you do not participate in?

seriously, get to a gym

A bit harsh and not really called for, although im guessing a lot of people are thinking it. You need to train at a gym with resisting training partners. There is only so much you can learn from instructionals unless you put those techniques into practice.

Its like riding a bike, you can buy books and videos about riding a bike but unless you got on a bike and try and ride it, you never will.

Just something to think about.

seriously, get to a gym

Wow dude. You enjoy being such a dickhead? The guy has a hobby, by nature, that's usually something you spend money on. I feel him, I buy as many instructionals as I can get my hands on, I find that stuff really interesting. Maybe if you really appreciated MMA or weren't such an elitist prick you could understand the joy of watching world champions teach the methods they used to become great. Also, not everyone can afford to pay the ridiculous 100-200 dollar charge that most schools impose so they save up money bit by bit to buy some grappling instructionals instead. Is it really any of your business how this guy goes about loving MMA? Who the fuck are you to talk shit to someone over an internet forum for saying he buys a lot of instructional DVD's?

Last edited:
Wow dude. You enjoy being such a dickhead? The guy has a hobby, by nature, that's usually something you spend money on. I feel him, I buy as many instructionals as I can get my hands on, I find that stuff really interesting. Maybe if you really appreciated MMA or weren't such an elitist prick you could understand the joy of watching world champions teach the methods they used to become great. Also, not everyone can afford to pay the ridiculous 100-200 dollar charge that most schools impose so they save up money bit by bit to buy some grappling instructionals instead. Is it really any of your business how this guy goes about loving MMA? Who the fuck are you to talk shit to someone over an internet forum for saying he buys a lot of instructional DVD's?

dude, if this guy is so obsessed with buying bjj vids and stuff. then he really needs to train or at least give it a shot.

sometimes people don't go because they are intimidated. but seriously, this dude should just suck it up and go to classes and see if he likes it or not.

seriously gsparky-- go to a fucking class. you will either have fun and love it, or hate it and find a new hobby.

he has money to train as he has bought half the dvd catalog from budovideos.

stop making excuses and train. don't matter if it is bjj, sub grappling, judo, wrestling, whatever. get away from the tv/computer and train.

There is easily 1000 bucks worth of DVDs, books, and toys right there.

That could have easily paid for 6-10 months of training depending on the location.

Excuses bro. The guy needs to step on the mat, period.

i just reread your post, how am i talking shit about anybody?

the only person talking shit is you. I guess the internet is the only place you can talk shit because in real life things would not turn out good for you.

Stay tuff (but only on message boards)

GSparky, really just sign up at a gym bro. I'm not sure why you haven't yet but you obviously love the sport and want to train.

It took me 3 visits to my school and a year to finally sign up. I was very nervous and a little intimidated but luckily it turns out martial artists are actually very friendly and helpful (for the most part).

Not sure if i'm jumping to conclusions so disregard the last part if it doesn't apply. I can't tell you how much I wish I could have that extra year of training back.

If you just enjoy watching competitions of grappling, I can understand buying DVDs of that. The only way I can make sense of watching instructionals if you don't train is if you want to better understand what you are looking at.

At the end of the day it's his life and his money. Let him do his thing.

At the end of the day it's his life and his money. Let him do his thing.

IRCC, he has stated that he intends to start training just hasn't got around to it yet. In fact I'm not sure if I'm mixing up posters or not but I think he wanted to eventually get a black belt from a Gracie and also from 10th planet (I could be mixing him up with someone else though so if I did my bad, i'm not gonna go hunting through his old posts).

So if he intends to train, there's no better time to start than immediately (unless there are outside circumstances of course).

I think everyone is just encouraging him because we know he'd enjoy it.

I do plan on stepping on the mat. I've been dieting for the past 4 days & walking 2 miles every morning for the past 5 days. My friends have been very supportive & I'm currently working on losing the weight. I'll update with pictures from where I started from & keep updating maybe once per week or something like that on my facebook.

In the mean time, I'm going to keep purchasing events from BJJ, MMA & soon Boxing. I will also continue to purchase Instructionals for BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai & Boxing. If you don't like it, oh well. I'm actually motivated now & have been doing my thing. I'll prove it & if it bugs you that much than obviously you are on the internet to much rather than out training or doing something productive.

Thanks for Reading. And I will continue to update the pics of my Combat Sports Collection because I DO take pride in it.

IRCC, he has stated that he intends to start training just hasn't got around to it yet. In fact I'm not sure if I'm mixing up posters or not but I think he wanted to eventually get a black belt from a Gracie and also from 10th planet (I could be mixing him up with someone else though so if I did my bad, i'm not gonna go hunting through his old posts).

So if he intends to train, there's no better time to start than immediately (unless there are outside circumstances of course).

Yes that was me. I've calmed down on it since talking to many students from Gracie Barra Houston. I still want to learn the 10th Planet System at some point but it isn't such a high priority like it was when I made the comment. Very Good Memory...

Haven't seen anyone mention it and his instructionals are popular so here is some good news if you like his teaching style.

From Ryans facebook

Will. buy. as. soon. as. possible.

Ahhh okay. (BTW, nice avatar, great show! Goggins is an incredible actor. The Shield was so damn good)

Anyways, if the issue is just waiting for the right time to start training, my feeling on waiting to do things is this:

There is never really "the perfect time" to do something. Most people wait for the perfect time to start a business, hobby, etc, and then before they know it, time's up. The point is, it's okay to wait to do something, but at some point, you just can't wait forever, because the circumstances are never "just right."

There is never really "the perfect time" to do something. Most people wait for the perfect time to start a business, hobby, etc, and then before they know it, time's up. The point is, it's okay to wait to do something, but at some point, you just can't wait forever, because the circumstances are never "just right."

Who cares if he doesn't train. Maybe he's in a wheelchair but still wants to learn the art and feel a part of something or is overweight. He has an interest in the subject and that should be encouraged and we don't have to be douches about it.
That Meerkatsu guy did exactly what he's doing, just watched videos for 6 months and didn't start training till he lost 21 lbs and was in better condition.

"What happened is in late 2006 I started watching a lot of MMA and loved the concept that if you were smart and knew BJJ you didn't have to be as physicaly strong - I mean seriously, I was never in shape and got bullied a lot during my school years, then suddenly you get the idea that there's a way of fighting that can negate physical inferiority...that was the spark right there and then.

But being as fat as I was I didn't want to be a burden to anyone else in the class so I spent the next 6 months losing 1.5 stone and the whole time I was watching and reading about BJJ as much as I could, really treating it like an academic subject...all before I ever stepped on the mat."

41028_423560236241_516961241_5097635_7083065_n.jpg

I would love to see this DVD. I don't finish from the back as much as I should. I'm very comfortable transitioning from the back to mount to side control (and maybe this has to do with the fact that I've only been using no-gi grips lately when rolling in the gi b/c my hands are killing me) but being one of the guys that WILL finish if they get your back is what everyone should strive for. Not everyone is going to be like Roger from mount, but the back seems to be much more accessible in terms of developing an "end game" series of attacks.

Who cares if he doesn't train. Maybe he's in a wheelchair but still wants to learn the art and feel a part of something or is overweight. He has an interest in the subject and that should be encouraged and we don't have to be douches about it.
That Meerkatsu guy did exactly what he's doing, just watched videos for 6 months and didn't start training till he lost 21 lbs and was in better condition.

"What happened is in late 2006 I started watching a lot of MMA and loved the concept that if you were smart and knew BJJ you didn't have to be as physicaly strong - I mean seriously, I was never in shape and got bullied a lot during my school years, then suddenly you get the idea that there's a way of fighting that can negate physical inferiority...that was the spark right there and then.

But being as fat as I was I didn't want to be a burden to anyone else in the class so I spent the next 6 months losing 1.5 stone and the whole time I was watching and reading about BJJ as much as I could, really treating it like an academic subject...all before I ever stepped on the mat."

Read through my posts. I said it was PERFECTLY fine if he didn't train or if he never wants to. The post you quoted was meant for people waiting for things in life, in general.

BTW congrats on the weight loss. You look like 2 different people.

He has an interest in the subject and that should be encouraged and we don't have to be douches about it.

I don't think anyone was being a douche about anything. Just encouraging him to go ahead and step on the mat. Maybe Mat Nemesis's post was a little harsh, but I don't recall anyone else being rude.

Ahhh okay. (BTW, nice avatar, great show! Goggins is an incredible actor. The Shield was so damn good)

Boyd Crowder turned into the best character on Justified, imo. Great show, can't wait for season 2.

Back