New Ryan Hall Instructionals

MrBen

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Haven't seen anyone mention it and his instructionals are popular so here is some good news if you like his teaching style.

From Ryans facebook

in Rochester, NY filming two new DVD series: half guard and attacking the back.
August 9 at 8:21pm

I'm pretty interested to see his take on attacking the back since he did mention he's working on that a lot lately

But half guard seems kind of random, I'd rather see him show that granby roll Darce or mount Darce he's been using lately

if it is anything like his triangle dvd it will be excellent.

I am sure he will have some good insights into HG and how and why things work as opposed to just showing a bunch of moves.

His triangle DVD was phenomenal, It helped me out tremendously and even last night I was still using the triangle from hip bump sweep successfully thanks to his dvd. I would be interested in anything he puts out.

Whoa can't wait. I love his detailed and scientific breakdown of techniques. Never thought of him as a half-guard or back guy but can't wait to see what I can learn!

What kind of half guard do you think it would be?
I was hopping for some material on "guard pass prevenation" and guard passing, but every thing with his unique way of breaking down stuff sounds really nice.

damn tease. i wish this was out already

ryan is an excellent teacher, anything he puts out will be worth a look

I'm pretty interested to see his take on attacking the back since he did mention he's working on that a lot lately

But half guard seems kind of random, I'd rather see him show that granby roll Darce or mount Darce he's been using lately

I'm sure it will make it on the half guard tape. At least some kind of Brabo transition to mount.

What kind of half guard do you think it would be?
I was hopping for some material on "guard pass prevenation" and guard passing, but every thing with his unique way of breaking down stuff sounds really nice.

I'm assuming (not smart I know) that there will be top and bottom half stuff. I mean each set, f it's still with WMA, is 3 DVDs.

&GALAHAD, his back-takes are ridiculous!

Why are you stalking Ryan Hall on Facebook? ;-) Seriously, Ryan Hall is very good at taking the back! Knowing the details on how to take the back will also help with defending the move - improving one's posture in the guard or when passing. I look forward to this DVD!

Last edited:
This set sounds like it's going to be pretty awesome! I really enjoyed his other sets.

I look forward to any material that Ryan Hall puts out about BJJ. World class competitor and phenomenal teacher, should be great!

His triangle DVD was phenomenal, It helped me out tremendously and even last night I was still using the triangle from hip bump sweep successfully thanks to his dvd. I would be interested in anything he puts out.

Agree 100%

Thanks for the update. I am really looking forward to this DVD set. Hopefully World Martial Arts will be the ones that release these sets. They seem to have the most quaility DVD's along with Victory Belt's books.

I just uploaded the pictures of most of my MMA collection on to sherdog & it's public for everyone to see including Ryan Hall's DVD Instructionals.

I will be taking pictures of Round 5 Ultimate Collector Series 1 & 2 MMA Figures & the Limited Edition version of Series 2 today & will have them up by this weekend.

I will also be purchasing Round 5 Ultimate Collector Series 3 Figures & Limited Edition Figures & the Versus Line Series 1 next month & I will upload pictures of those at some point next month.

I'm waiting for the No-Gi Worlds later this year & I'm going to purchase all the No-Gi Jiu Jitsu Events, Grappler's Quests & I'll order 2010 Pan Jiu Jitsu Championship & 2010 BJJ World Championships, once I get all of those, I'll upload pics.

I will also be getting Malaipet's Destructive Kicks & knees of Muay Thai DVD, Andre Galvao's Drill to Win: 12 Months to Better Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu Book next month. At that point, I'll upload an updated pic of all my striking instructionals including Boxing & Muay Thai along with a pic of Andre Galvao's book.

Thanks for the update. I am really looking forward to this DVD set. Hopefully World Martial Arts will be the ones that release these sets. They seem to have the most quaility DVD's along with Victory Belt's books.

Victory Belt does have the best books by far. But I'm curious to hear your opinions on why you prefer WMA over Cryo/Budovideos...

The way I see it is this:

WMA has DVDs that are SUPER information rich. When I get a WMA product I expect to see more hours of instructional material itself than a Cryo/Budovids product. I don't expect any bonus materials. Maybe I'll get one match or something at the end of each DVD but that's it. No jazzy introductions are crazy camera angles. Just one camera, and LOTS of info.

On the other hand, Budovideos tends to have a lot more bonus materials. Interviews, matches/fights from the instructor, rolling sessions, etc. Also the production quality is a little more jazzed up. Different camera angles and stuff like that. Often there's not as many hours of instruction though.

The exception to the rule are the Budovideos Cobrinha set, which has a tremendous amount of techniques too.

Obviously I will continue to get products from both companies.

I just uploaded the pictures of most of my MMA collection on to sherdog & it's public for everyone to see including Ryan Hall's DVD Instructionals.

I will be taking pictures of Round 5 Ultimate Collector Series 1 & 2 MMA Figures & the Limited Edition version of Series 2 today & will have them up by this weekend.

I will also be purchasing Round 5 Ultimate Collector Series 3 Figures & Limited Edition Figures & the Versus Line Series 1 next month & I will upload pictures of those at some point next month.

I'm waiting for the No-Gi Worlds later this year & I'm going to purchase all the No-Gi Jiu Jitsu Events, Grappler's Quests & I'll order 2010 Pan Jiu Jitsu Championship & 2010 BJJ World Championships, once I get all of those, I'll upload pics.

I will also be getting Malaipet's Destructive Kicks & knees of Muay Thai DVD, Andre Galvao's Drill to Win: 12 Months to Better Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu Book next month. At that point, I'll upload an updated pic of all my striking instructionals including Boxing & Muay Thai along with a pic of Andre Galvao's book.

wow, you are gonna put up pics of your dolls! that is great, i am percolating with anticipation.

did you start training yet or are you still wasting money on a hobby you do not participate in?

seriously, get to a gym

Victory Belt does have the best books by far. But I'm curious to hear your opinions on why you prefer WMA over Cryo/Budovideos...

The way I see it is this:

WMA has DVDs that are SUPER information rich. When I get a WMA product I expect to see more hours of instructional material itself than a Cryo/Budovids product. I don't expect any bonus materials. Maybe I'll get one match or something at the end of each DVD but that's it. No jazzy introductions are crazy camera angles. Just one camera, and LOTS of info.

On the other hand, Budovideos tends to have a lot more bonus materials. Interviews, matches/fights from the instructor, rolling sessions, etc. Also the production quality is a little more jazzed up. Different camera angles and stuff like that. Often there's not as many hours of instruction though.

The exception to the rule are the Budovideos Cobrinha set, which has a tremendous amount of techniques too.

Obviously I will continue to get products from both companies.

The bonus content really doesn't go into any part of my decision on if I'm going to purchase any type of instructional. Don't get me wrong, if it's on there, I'll watch it but if there is an instructional that I hear is great & it's by a fairly decent instructor not Submissions 101, then I'll purchase it.

When it comes down to comparing WMA DVD's to budovideos products or other products such as Title Boxing or Cranes Productions is just the fact that I know for 100% that I will can get the techniques down without question with the WMA series. After I watched Brandon Quick's Chokes DVD Series, I felt that it was done to fast & there were many questions I had that could have been done by slowing down & showing a few more camera angles.

I own Maleipet's instructional & he doesn't seem to go into the best explanation of footwork which is probably the most important part of striking.

Duke Roufus's Muay Thai DVD Set was the best striking set that I've ever seen, he went into detail about every technique & showed it from multiple camera angles. It comes down to the instructor but I just feel that WMA holds such high standards on not just having big names instructors but having those big name instructors get all the meat into their instructionals & that is what I like about it. I feel that I can rely on anything I purchase from them just due to the quality of instruction on every technique on every one of their products.

But like you, I will continue to purchase products from all kinds of companies, I on the other hand try to wait to see reviews on anything outside of WMA or Victory belt before I purchase it & I do purchase products just based on recommendations such as the Cobrinha, Jeff Glover & Braulio Estima which I still plan on getting all 3 of those, just based on the recommendations that I've seen from many of the people on sherdog.

Last edited:
Back