New ranking system

buda2

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Forget the top 10. We should just have a tiered system. Contenders, guys on the cusp, journeymen, preliminary fighters and guys on the chopping block. I think it's obvious that at times the ''top 10" guys aren't always filled with worthy contenders and at times, usually LW, there are even more than 10 legit contenders.

Let's drop the rigid ''top 10" and point out who's really worthy at the moment.

HW - JDS (deservedly so), Fabricio Werdum and honestly I think Travis Browne although he's not goina be a champ IMO. DC is on the cusp but who cares? He's running away to LHW.

LHW - Gustafson (if only Cruz JJ has almost cleaned out division, Glover Texirera. Nobody else on the cusp except MAYBE Phil Davis but I don't think any of us think that's happening. And don't mention Mousasi, dude has dropped off the face of the earth.

MW - Anderson Silva (personally I'd be fine if someone else got the shot before him, I'm sick of immediate rematches but this is the money fight), Victor Belfort even against AS (stop bouncing between divisions dude!) Jacare Souza is on the cusp with another win against another dude on the cusp like say...Bisping? Dude's always on the cusp.

WW - Johnny Hendrix (that's pretty much it, GSP beat the rest and nobody has strung enough wins together to prove their worth). Rory McDonald is on the cusp.

LW - Josh Thompson (by default), Gilbert Melendez with one win, Bendo against anyone besides Petits as champ if that happens, TJ Grant (sux to be you dude, by the time he recovers the landscape will have shifted and he may be pushed down to being on the cusp). I don't know who's on the cusp anymore haven't had a chance to watch as much.

I kinda stopped watching FW after KZ choked in his fight w/ Aldo and don't know emuf about the other divisions.

Who's on your contender list and who's on the cusp?

Last edited:
The ranking system is a farce & is next to useless IMO.

TS good points on all minus one detail which is the overuse of the word "cusp". It just doesn't ring well...I mean, that word is on the cusp of making its way into MMA analysis but just quite not there yet. This thread was on the cusp of greatness save for the overuse if cusping and all that shiyot. :)

We should all have chips implanted into our brains so that we all think the same. Wait, what's that you were thinking? OK I see. I guess you're right, probably wouldn't work.

Contenders - What's considered a contender? We've seen guys get title shots off losses so this list would basically be the top 10 of any weight class anyways.

Guys on the cusp - How is this different than a contender? The contender list is huge, this one will be nearly everybody else.

Journymen - This isn't boxing

Prelim fighters - Card placement is usually meaningless and based on the card itself rather than the fighters.

Chopping block - Any 1 bad fight can get you canned, and everybody knows after a few losses you are in danger.

This is what I think

gifbutt.gif

Contenders - What's considered a contender? We've seen guys get title shots off losses so this list would basically be the top 10 of any weight class anyways.

Guys on the cusp - How is this different than a contender? The contender list is huge, this one will be nearly everybody else.

Journymen - This isn't boxing

Prelim fighters - Card placement is usually meaningless and based on the card itself rather than the fighters.

Chopping block - Any 1 bad fight can get you canned, and everybody knows after a few losses you are in danger.

Well damn....you just spanked this thread just like your avatar lol

Rankings don't mean anything

They're just a means to keep people talking

Would Fitch have been on the chopping block????

Back